The Guest Room!

Painted, furnished, finished! For now, at least. There are still a few things I’d like to do, but they can definitely wait.

The Guest Room

The Guest Room

My poor friend Lili – she stayed in it back when it looked like this:

Guest Room

Lili, you must come again because now it looks like this:

The Guest Room

I moved the brackets for the curtain rod out 8″ on each side to make the window look bigger (and to better show off the pretty new Marimekko Lumimarja curtains). I’m so glad I didn’t get the other curtains I had been considering!

The paint color is “wheat bread” by Behr, the orange daybed was from CB2, and the lamp was from Pier 1. The rug was from Crate & Barrel. I originally bought it for the living room, but it was too small. I loved it too much to return it, so I kept it, figuring I could find another spot for it. I had it in my office for a little while, but the fluffy rug meant my chair couldn’t roll anymore. It all worked out though because I love it in the guest room.

I painted all of the wood white (primer plus two coats of semi-gloss “swiss coffee” by Behr). Brandon and I also replaced all of the baseboards. The room went from this:

guest room

To this:

The Guest Room

The other side of the room was particularly ugly (and strange):

guest room

I painted it all white but it still looked a little funny so I sewed some simple white curtains to close it off. Maybe we’ll figure something out for that space eventually.

The Guest Room

The pocket door still needs to be painted, and I’d like to paint the old dresser too.

The Guest Room

Yay – another room (mostly) finished!

The Guest Room

108 Responses to “The Guest Room!”

1. Making it Lovely March 30, 2008 at 9:57 pm #

Thank you, everyone!

That little table was my first IKEA purchase, about 10 years ago. It’s held up fairly well! I had actually given it to my Dad for a little while, but I’m glad we have it again. So Rachel – it’s not worth breaking up a marriage for! It’s only IKEA! ;)

The print of the mourning dove was from pushmepullyou design.

The chair is one of four that I have (two with arms and two without). They were grabbed from an alley and were probably waiting room chairs.

Oh, and the daybed is orange. I know it’s a little hard to tell in some of the photos. It ties in really nicely with the orange in the curtains.

2. JayEssJay March 31, 2008 at 8:47 am #

it looks absolutely wonderful. very very jealous of such a beautiful room!

3. stacy March 31, 2008 at 10:25 am #

You’ve done wonders with such a small space. I love the day bed.

4. Ana March 31, 2008 at 11:40 am #

gorgeous…you really do make it look easy

5. Jaana March 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm #

Looks absolutely astonishing! Did you consider fixing the curtain rod directly to the ceiling on the “ugly part of the room”? So instead of several smaller curtains you’d have one bigger that would also cover then the wood parts on that side. I think that would look great :)

6. Deidre March 31, 2008 at 4:10 pm #

I love the CB2 daybed. How comfy is it? Their pieces always look so inviting but the DC area does not have one nearby.

7. Sherry March 31, 2008 at 6:35 pm #

Mmmm, break me off a piece of that guest bedroom. Gorge!

xo,

Sherry

8. ariane March 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

Hi there,

I was wondering if you bought the fabric for your curtains and then sewed them? Or did you buy them pre-fabricated? If you bought them pre-made… where did you find them? I am also in the search for great curtains.

Thanks,
    Ariane

9. Julia April 1, 2008 at 2:10 am #

You have a wicked talent and an amazing eye for fun, intereating but subtle combinations. Fantastic!!

10. Sommer April 1, 2008 at 9:28 am #

I really love the wall color. I actually had that paint chip as a possibility for my dining room. It’s a great color!

11. Melissa April 1, 2008 at 10:20 am #

Beautiful room! I’m amazed at what you can do with such an awkward space. Do you mind sharing where that console/tray table is from? Thanks and congratulations on a job well done!

12. decor8 Holly April 1, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

Love it all Nicole. All I have to add is to lacquer that dresser in bold red with pretty knobs!

13. Making it Lovely April 1, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Holly, that’s pretty much what I was planning to do!

Melissa, the table was from IKEA about 10 years ago.

Ariane, I sewed everything myself. I’m fairly new to sewing, and I didn’t find it all that difficult! Time consuming, yes, but not difficult.

Deidre, the daybed is very firm. I find it comfortable, but probably not for an extended period.

Jaana, I thought about just covering the whole side with a white curtain, but I thought it would tie in better with the other side of the room to have some of the wood paneling showing.

14. Kate April 1, 2008 at 2:46 pm #

I have a question about the curtains. I’ve never really sewed before, but I’d like to start by making some curtains for my dining room(I just got a sewing machine!). Could you tell me how many yards of fabric the curtains took? The fabric seems so expensive, but based on your last post about the guest room I think I must be miscalculating? How much fabric does it take to make curtains?

15. Making it Lovely April 1, 2008 at 2:59 pm #

Kate, the curtains took 6 yards. The fabric was a bit expensive (I had gotten used to seeing fabric for $9 / yard!), but I bought it at 15% off (just under $200, total). I think the fabric was worth the splurge in this case though, since I based my whole design on it!

16. Goddess Findings April 1, 2008 at 8:19 pm #

WOW, this is pretty zippy! Is the lamp from Pier I? I was eyeing one that looked just like it….lovely job!

17. susanna April 1, 2008 at 9:58 pm #

i agree, great eye for color, and the fact that we seem to have the same taste in color combos surely doesn’t hurt. i love the print of the four abstract flowers, left of the window. do you mind sharing where you got it?

18. Making it Lovely April 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm #

That one is from three sheets 2 the wind. I picked it up last year at the Renegade Craft Fair.

And yes, the lamp was from Pier 1.

19. susanna April 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm #

oh, and the curtains are gorgeous, i love marimekko and i am glad you didn’t go for the c&b. they are a little bit pricey for me, so for now these http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00124581 will have to do.

20. susanna April 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm #

thank you so much, i want them all!

21. European Girl April 2, 2008 at 4:03 am #

If I would be a guest at your house I would never leave the house :-) Just lovely. And I just LOOOOVE the curtains! Can I stay? :-)

22. Ruth Ellison April 2, 2008 at 4:43 am #

What a lovely makeover! I love the curtains and daybed.

23. Kate April 2, 2008 at 9:56 am #

Thanks! That helps, I just thought maybe there was some way of making curtains I didn’t know about : ) And I totally agree that it was worth a little splurge — they look absolutely fantastic!

24. Ariane April 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm #

Thanks so much for answering :) I love the curtains and the whole room. Very inspiring to try some fun patterns!

25. Things That Inspire April 2, 2008 at 9:24 pm #

The curtains are so beautiful…IMO they make the room! Great post.

26. erin April 2, 2008 at 9:36 pm #

i love the paint color, but i’m partial! we renovated our entire house last summer and painted it all wheat bread from behr. it’s a great soft neutral and i don’t know if you’ve had the time to notice it yet, but at different times of the day and in different lights, it really changes colors and tones. it’s quite beautiful. i think the pairing with orange works so well for this grey.

27. decor8 Holly April 3, 2008 at 6:11 am #

Where did you find that daybed, someone wrote to me looking for one and so far, I’ve only seen them at DWR.

28. European Girl April 3, 2008 at 7:21 am #

Yippey! I found the curtains:
    I must say: You have a great “interior-eye”!

29. European Girl April 3, 2008 at 7:41 am #

ooops – I am sleepy european girl over here:
    You wrote in your blog about the fabric. I have to keep my eyes open and read before i write.

30. Making it Lovely April 3, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Susanna, I love those fabrics! I have some here that I don’t know what to do with yet (but I still bought them). They’re a great stand-in for the pricier Marimekko!

Holly, the daybed was from CB2. It opens up and you could fit two people.

31. laima007 April 4, 2008 at 6:20 pm #

WOW! Love it! What colour is on the walls?

32. Claire B April 5, 2008 at 1:54 pm #

Swiss Coffee–my absolutely fave white woodwork paint. I’ve used it in all three of my houses so far!

Gorgeous room, and thanks to the Seattle Times for reprinting the Washington Post bit about your blog. I’m in love!

33. Fay April 5, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

Love the room. Your eye is impeccable!

Have you noticed that the rug sheds at all? I purchased one from C&B four years ago and if I even looked at it funny, it would grow fantastic fluffy balls of fluff. It was awful… having to vacuum every other day. I do have my eye on this rug but I’m afraid of it shedding like the last one.

34. Julie Thigpen April 5, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

You have fabulous taste and I love your style! Great little guest room :) Well done!

35. Liene at Blue Orchid Designs April 6, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

I absolutely love it! The curtains are my fave.

36. yian April 6, 2008 at 8:30 pm #

beautiful! would you mind sharing where you found the little blue side table (ththe one by your daybed, not the tray table with accessories on top.)?

37. curtains gal April 7, 2008 at 5:19 am #

wow, you completely changed the room and gave it so much energy. i think i’ve learned something from these photos, i have a great idea how to finish my living room now.

38. patricia April 9, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

What a great looking room! I love the color combinations.

39. Alkemie April 20, 2008 at 11:56 am #

I absolutely love seeing before and after photos. What a wonderful job you’ve done with your guest room – I love the color palette :)

Karen

40. Bobbi April 23, 2008 at 9:52 am #

I LOVE your guest room! You have such wonderful ideas! :)

41. Elizabeth July 10, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

I was wondering if your daybed was comfortable and if it was easy to flip open to use as a double bed? I’ve been on the prowl for a cool (aka not white iron and brass) daybed that has the ability to become a big bed. I thought my only option was a pop-up trundle until I saw the most recent CB2 catalog with your daybed in it. I had no idea it flipped open!

Thanks,

Elizabeth

42. mayr July 11, 2008 at 9:39 am #

HI Can you tell me if you purchased the curtains pre made or if you made them or had them made. If you made them how much fabric did it take and how long are they? Thank you.

43. mayr July 11, 2008 at 9:53 am #

Hi again, you can disregard my questions I just noticed you already answered them for someone else. Thank you.

44. aminah July 20, 2008 at 3:47 pm #

Gorgeous! Where is the table/tv tray (with the red lamp on it) from? It seems so versatile.

45. aminah July 20, 2008 at 3:50 pm #

ok — just realized that one is the Ikea purchase. Where is the other table from (next to the daybed)?

46. M January 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm #

What is this paint color? I would love something similar for a room I am renovating.

47. G. Bay April 10, 2009 at 10:24 pm #

I’ve had my eye on that daybed: does it feel as good as it looks? Is it comfortable to sleep on?

48. Making it Lovely April 10, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

The daybed is very firm, but I like that. I find it comfortable!

And that paint color is “Wheat Bread” by Behr.

49. Futons October 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm #

Reeeaaally nice! I saw this thread even though its older. I love the pictures. Good job.

50. Inspire Me Heather July 29, 2011 at 6:50 am #

Gorgeous room! I linked it to my guest rooms post today, I know this post is older but it’s a keeper!