Maah Ma

Do we have a first word!? Brandon thinks that she IS actually saying “mama”, but I’m not so sure. She only says it when she’s tired or frustrated, so I think that it’s just her whiny complaining noise and there just happens to be an ‘m’ sound in there. ;)

If this really is her first word, then it’s really early. She has been early on everything else though, so it is a possibility! Either way it’s nice to hear.

67 Responses to “Maah Ma”

1. lori October 25, 2009 at 11:27 am #

I’m gonna have to go with FIRST WORD!!!! So adorable! (and so lucky, it’s usually dada!!) She’s getting cuter by the day.

2. Jazmin Espinal October 25, 2009 at 11:56 am #

I’m pretty sure she’s saying Mama. Congrats on Eleanor saying her first word and even more congrats for having it be mama! :)

3. zsuzsa October 25, 2009 at 11:59 am #

I am going with first word too :-) because most of the time she looks up – at you? – when she says it.

4. Antonia October 25, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

I agree! It’s her first word! She’s adorable.

5. Tessa October 25, 2009 at 12:18 pm #

Definitely first words!! How precious :) She has beautiful eyes

6. Nikki October 25, 2009 at 12:27 pm #

Believe it! My Mom said I was reciting Mother Goose at 16 months, word for word. It’s definitely possible, and her parents are no dummies – hello!

7. Candice October 25, 2009 at 12:39 pm #

That really cheered me up this afternoon. Thanks for sharing!

8. Kenziepoo October 25, 2009 at 1:20 pm #

That is how my daughter sounded when she first said Mama!! Totally her first word!!! Yay! How sweet!!

9. Amanda October 25, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

I would say it’s definitely a mama. So congrats on the first word! By the way she is TOO CUTE!

10. Carley October 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

Okay, so I have a theory here. You said she only says this when she’s tired or frustrated?

Well, who do you call for when you’re that little and you’re tired/frustrated?

Mommy!!

:) Get used to it MOM because you’re going to be this little girls place to run to when feelings like these arise. Congrats!

11. Valerie frome Studio Rose Flash October 25, 2009 at 1:32 pm #

I would also have to go with the first word! YAY! I’m trying so hard to show the «m» sound to my son, but he’s more into tiger and owl – talk/sounds. ^_^

12. Eileen October 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

I say take it when and where ever you can get it. Sounds like Mama, must be Mama (note that she says it when tired and frustrated … definitely mama). Congrats. You have so many more firsts and she’s a sweet girl.

13. Elizabeth October 25, 2009 at 2:24 pm #

I think she is saying it! Too darn cute for words :)

14. Tricia October 25, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

First word SO definitely Mama! Usually dada is first, so enjoy!

15. MMW October 25, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

She is absolutely saying Ma Ma!!! Oh yes she is. I have four little ones…and I recognize that sweet sweet word. Smile and bask and LOVE having her call your name…you’ll hear it the rest of your life.

16. Laurie October 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

So sweet you gotta love those words! My 11 year old still calls me ma ma when she’s being sweet, so enjoy it, before you know it you’ll be hearing “MOTHER!!!” (:

17. marichucky October 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm #

She’s obviously saying “mama”. Maybe she hasn’t the intention to say the word mama to call you, but she’s saying “mama”. If you go and pick her everytime she says it, she’s gonna get the idea!

(In Spanish, the word mom is mama, so definitely your little bean is saying her first word in a foreing language. So smart!!! Maybe you should learn a bit Spanish to understand her).

Congratulations mama! (never told you before, I do love your blog).

18. Desiree Fawn October 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm #

Jealous! G is all about the ‘dadadadaaaaa’ sounds! ^_^

19. Risa October 25, 2009 at 5:54 pm #

I think she is saying Mama too! Yeah! Normally the first word is Daddy.

20. LindaS October 25, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

Sounds like Mama to me! Considering my daughters first word was Dada (and on Mothers Day no less!) I’d own it if I were you!

21. rachel in Cali. October 25, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

She is totally saying Ma Ma!! I think she wants to eat too! ;0)

22. Seleta October 25, 2009 at 7:02 pm #

Clearly she’s talking to you, Momma!!! So sweet! And quite precocious.

Don’t you laugh at the thrashing sound of rattles, beads and bells those exersaucers make when baby jumps out of boredom?!? I recall that sound as if it were yesterday.

23. Amy October 25, 2009 at 7:02 pm #

So cute – she must make you so happy everyday! Definitely saying Mama!

24. sarah { abeachcottage } October 25, 2009 at 7:04 pm #

love those days! so so sweet,

I think Mama for sure!

sarah

25. Keri October 25, 2009 at 7:42 pm #

Yeah I wasnt sure until near the end. She really gets at it. I think they are her first words too… Especially when she starts saying them over and over.

26. Cassie October 25, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

She’s totally saying MAMA! Congrats, that is so cute!

PS. She looks so adorable. What a precious little girl!

27. Down Pillow October 25, 2009 at 9:10 pm #

I think she’s saying Mama, too! She’s just adorable :)

28. heartarz October 25, 2009 at 11:08 pm #

Sounds like Mama to me! Yeah 1st word.
    My oldest son’s first word was “dog”.
    And he did not mean “da(d)”…he meant “dog”!!!
    My youngest’s 1st word was “yum” for food…he LOVED to eat!

29. Ashley S. October 25, 2009 at 11:23 pm #

Aww…little angerthor :) by the by she is 100% saying “Auntie Ashley”. Not sure why everyone seems to think is “mama”… :D

(PS, it’s more of a “mom mom mom” which is pretty darn close to “nom nom nom” so if it’s not “Auntie Ashley” it’s definitely “nom nom nom”.)

30. Catherine October 26, 2009 at 3:33 am #

She’s so cute! Just wait till she starts calling Brandon mama too. My niece went through phase of misdirecting her mama’s and daddy’s. It was hilarious.

31. Sav October 26, 2009 at 4:16 am #

32. Danielle October 26, 2009 at 7:30 am #

I think she’s trying!!!

33. MamaSkates October 26, 2009 at 9:00 am #

definite 1st word! she’s so cute!!!

& i hate 2 tell ya…but Mama will b part of her “whiny complaining noise” 4 a while – u better get used 2 it! ;0)

34. Helen October 26, 2009 at 9:29 am #

Sounds like Mama, but I’m going to have to agree with you that it’s probably just the noise she makes when uncomfortable.

35. enyasi October 26, 2009 at 10:24 am #

Okay, that is definitely MAMA and she is singing it… Brilliant!

36. Heather October 26, 2009 at 10:39 am #

What memories that brings back! My daughter, Brooklyn, sounded just like that when she began “singing” mama. How very, very precious! Soak up every last adorable second of it!

37. Davinie October 26, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

That’s the first word, Mama! Babies usually want their mama when they are tired and frustrated.

Congratulations!

38. Samae October 26, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

OMG. What a cutie pie.

39. Mrs Soup October 26, 2009 at 2:03 pm #

Totally saying Mama! Congrats!

40. Erica W October 26, 2009 at 2:52 pm #

That’s just the sweetest thing! Totally makes me want to go hug my own babe.

41. Kathryn S October 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Sounds like a word to me. My standards are pretty low, though (I have late talking boys). We figure if it’s a repeated sound while looking at the same object every time, it’s a word.

More than that, I love the fact that you have an exersaucer in your beautiful living room. I take some sort of fiendish glee in that – mostly I’m just jealous that your house is beautiful and mine looks like a tornado blew through!

42. mary October 26, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

Ohmygosh. She is SO ADORABLE!! AND, saying “mama”! :)

43. Nycia Emerson October 26, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

SHE IS SO FREAKIN ADORABLE!! “Mama” how sweet!!:) This makes me want another baby so bad!!

44. Anica October 26, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

Priceless! I think she is the cutest, pinkest, little cupcake I have ever seen!

45. Melissa October 26, 2009 at 8:10 pm #

Definitely “mama”! No doubt about it – you have the first word – congrats! She loves you.

46. Julie Anne October 26, 2009 at 8:14 pm #

Sav, commenting above, hit the nail exactly on the head:

It’s her first “pre-word”, her first attempts at language, but as he stated, one of the reasons some form of mom, mam, mama, maman, etc. is “Mother” in nearly every language in the world, is that it is the first linguistic sound most human babies can successfully enunciate.

They’re trying to get Mom’s attention, they make a random noise that sounds like the talking back-and-forth that mommy and daddy do, and mommy responds, forcefully, because she thinks baby is saying “Mommy”. Baby is thrilled that Mommy responds whenever she says mamamamamama and eventually makes the connection that “Mama” is who Mommy IS (although to baby, it could have meant “boob”, “milk”, “hot”, “cold”, “wet”, “uncomfortable”, or “pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?”)

So, at this point, it’s your natural reinforcement that “Mama” is mommy that will teach her the meaning of the word – her first real word will be the one she utters spontaneously, knowing the meaning.

To quote, Sav wrote: “Ohhh I don’t want to be a downer but its not a word if she doesn’t know what it means! “Mama” is actually, worldwide, the most common first “word” babies say because the two sounds /m/ and /^/ (soft a sound) are the easiest to articulate when they start babbling… which is what I think your adorable little girl is actually doing. BUT I think in a few more months it could actually be her first word if you help her make the connection that the word refers to you.”

47. Gabriell October 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

This made my day! No baby linguistics knowledge, but I’m definitely voting for her first word! Lovely :)

48. Amanda October 26, 2009 at 9:14 pm #

I have 3 under 3 myself. And I believe that is a first word! That’s how mine all started.

49. Nicole October 26, 2009 at 9:28 pm #

this just made my day, she’s just too cute for words. You’re very lucky :)

50. Megan October 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

I only considered my son’s first word when it was clear he knew what he saying and to whom he was saying it. While Eleanor is clearly saying Mama it is also evident that she isn’t really sure she’s actually saying a word. It’s just a noise that gets your attention. I wouldn’t consider it her first word but it sure is cute!