My Office, Rearranged

I’ve already shown you what my office doesn’t look like. Would you like to see the way it does look now?

My Office

The new storage is comprised of two Effektiv units with doors, and knobs from Anthropologie. I framed a giant print of Eleanor because that photo just cracks me up. I credit Jules with the idea to frame such a large portrait, though she has been enamored with the idea since seeing Jen’s take on it. And really, I should give credit to my uncle too, a former professional photographer who has a similarly scaled photo of my sister and me as kids in his dining room.

My Office

My cubes (an IKEA expedit) have been moved across the room. They’re now where my desk used to be.

My Office

There’s a big open space in the middle of the room for Eleanor to play. Eventually we’d like to add either a play kitchen or a table and chairs for her.

My Office

Adding a second outlet to the room only cost $100, and it was well worth it. I was so limited when planning the layout before, and I love my desk’s new location.

My Office

The main reason I wanted a new desk was so that I could fit my keyboard and my Wacom tablet together on a pull-out tray. The Bond desk is working out nicely, and it was on sale in the store when I bought it. And isn’t that screensaver awesome? I found it via swissmiss.

Of course, all of this office rearranging is merely an intermediary step. I want to paint (the walls and the trim), and I would like a new rug and matching lamps. I’m leaning toward the ones I just wrote about (granny chic style). Still, the office already feels so much better.

109 Responses to “My Office, Rearranged”

1. The office looks great. Where did you find the ampersand? I have been looking everywhere for one.

Thanks!

• Making it Lovely January 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

That was from Pottery Barn a few years ago.

• jessica January 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

I love the ampersand, too! It’s so cool!

2. Samantha @ Mama Notes January 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

I love it! What size picture is that? Is it bigger than an 8 x 10? I can’t tell.

3. Samantha @ Mama Notes January 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

perfect, thanks! That’s a great idea, I think I might get a big size like that for my house! Where did you get it done??

4. Donna Vitan January 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm #

I love seeing your new work space. I love the screensaver too, however I had to change it once my monitors started ghosting the numbers.

It’s too bad though, it was so chic!

5. Laurie January 6, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I love the poster of Eleanor, so sweet.

btw, if anyone wants the screensaver for a mac but has updated to snow leopard I tracked this down today:

6. Philip January 6, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

That desk is really nice, and isn’t that screensaver amazing. Good old swissmiss.

7. Agatha January 6, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

Well done – your office is lovely! I really like your ‘and’ sign (ampersand, I believe..?) on the wall.

And I agree, the screensaver is very cool, and I just love the telephone on your desk!

I hope you have a super time working in your new office,

Agatha x

thehouseonbloghill.blogspot.com

8. At Home with Kim Vallee January 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

Your new office is gorgeous. And I will definitively installed the flip clock screensaver. It is too cool!

9. Amanda January 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

I love it! Chic, gorgeous, and definitely you!

10. Michelle January 6, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Love that screensaver. Downloading now!

11. Kristina @ My Heart Behaves January 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

me loves!

12. janet January 6, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

I love it! I am always so inspired by your rooms. And thank you for making it so accessible to us all :)

13. meaghan January 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

Where did you get that white bird bowl that’s sitting on top of your storage cabinets? I love it!

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

It’s by Jonathan Adler. Brandon gave it to me for Christmas!

14. lauren f January 6, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

I LOVE that picture! May I ask where you had it printed?

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Snapfish.

• Samae January 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Try Mpix. They have cool metallic paper!!!

15. Susan January 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

this is just gorgeous. i love how clean and simple and feminine it is. can’t wait to see it all grannied out :)

16. Audrie January 6, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Really loving how your office looks now! And that picture of Eleanor is just brilliant hehe I just did a little rearranging in my studio yesterday and I feel a lot better too!

17. Ana January 6, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

Your office looks just soooo very lovely! ;-)

xx,
    A.

18. jbhat January 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

I would not get a lick of work done in there because I would just sit there gazing around happily. It’s so pretty. Thanks for sharing!

19. rachel January 6, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

i love your office! where’d you get those six pink storage boxes on top of your ikea cubes? i’ve seen a lot like them, but never in pink. and now that i’ve seen pink ones, i need to own them. :)

20. Stefanie January 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

A word of caution about that screensaver. Yes, its lovely. I’ve been using it for a few years. Just make sure you never turn off the “display sleep.” Most people would never have a reason to, but I set mine to 2 hours so I could watch a movie from the nearby couch without having the screen go to sleep, then forgot to set it back. The screensaver caused absolutely terrible burn-in on my beloved iMac.

21. walrus studio January 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

every detail is lovely! esp. the screen saver!

22. Janssen January 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

It looks beautiful! I’m very impressed. How nice to have all that space for Eleanor to play whiel you work.

23. Marie January 6, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

Love your new office!!! Mine is still unpainted, half full of Xmas storage, and three very heavy box that contain my deck and shelves from IKEA. We’re getting a “snow day” tomorrow, maybe I’ll start then!? Any thoughts on a good “Gray” paint color, not to dark (only one small window) and not to light (boring), please let me know. But I did just download your screensaver, Love It.

Thanks Marie

24. Katie January 6, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

just so cute, as usual! And we have the same printer, isn’t it awesome? I was so mad when my husband bought it, but now I love it ;) I’m all for the granny chic stuff. I think it’s perfect for you.

25. Jenya January 6, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

Oh dear! I am totally blown away! I love that portrait! And I really like your idea of hanging all wall art by the strings. Brilliant!

26. Lianna January 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

Beautiful! I too love the idea of ribbons/string hanging the frames. I’ve just moved into a new room with similar moulding and will definitely use this idea!

27. yansy January 6, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

Love the new desk and the new lay out of the room!

28. Melissa January 6, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

Love the photo of Eleanor what a cute idea. Office looks great as does the little princess.

29. Amanda January 6, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

I love the current lamp you have in there. Can I borrow it when you get your new one? :P

Your office looks great !

30. Jen R January 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm #

HI Nicole, it looks great! If you get a chance, Stop by and check out my post, it’s for an Illinois girl blog get together.

31. Nicole RJ January 6, 2010 at 11:41 pm #

Love the giant portrait, fab idea! And oh my gosh, I’m downloading that screensaver – my mom still has her old flip alarm clock, I just love it!

32. Amanda January 7, 2010 at 12:43 am #

Your new office looks fantastic! I love how you have Eleanor’s toys on the bottom shelf of your IKEA cubes for easy access.

33. Etienne January 7, 2010 at 4:38 am #

Hi there, I have a question, how did you hang the photo and ampersand? It seems like a nifty way to avoid putting holes in the walls. Thanks!

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

It’s hanging from the room’s picture rail. I’ll have to do a post on that someday soon.

34. Emily A. Clark January 7, 2010 at 6:00 am #

The office is lovely–and congrats on your Apartment Therapy mention! I am glad to see those IKEA bookshelves in an actual room. I have intentions of using the same ones in my little office makeover and was wondering if they would feel large enough. They really look great.

35. jewell January 7, 2010 at 6:49 am #

I love that you gave yourself a way to put your feet up. I will have to remember that for my future office.

36. Beth@321home January 7, 2010 at 7:37 am #

I think the lamp and rug will look great in there!

37. Leah January 7, 2010 at 8:24 am #

Love it!! Do you have plaster walls? I noticed you have some great looking picture hanging hardware – could you share what you used? We have plaster walls too … and I learned a little too late about putting a nail in the wall. Whoops! Thank you!

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm #

Yes, we have plaster walls. I’ll do a post soon about using picture rail.

38. Lisa January 7, 2010 at 9:16 am #

Kitchen set? Are you eyeing the ones at Target that are white and pink? My sister just found one and it’s super cute!

39. Martha January 7, 2010 at 9:28 am #

Your office looks great! I was also going to ask about the picture hanging. I have a similar set up in my bedroom but have no idea what kind of hardware to get – would you mind sharing? Thanks!

40. Bailey@peppermintbliss January 7, 2010 at 10:54 am #

I love it! And that picture of Eleanor on the wall is just priceless. I want a fabulous pink space of my own as well! I swear it would make me more productive!

41. Carolyn January 7, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the new layout and look. Your expedit bookshelves are my favorite :)

42. Kim @ Yellow Brick Home January 7, 2010 at 10:59 am #

Beautiful, as usual!

I, too, have a penchant for too-large portraits. While getting my degree in photography, I wanted nothing more than to rush back to the darkroom and blow up my portraits as large as I could afford. Too bad photo paper cost an arm and a leg, but it was worth the months of ramen noodles.

43. Barbara January 7, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Wow! Wish I could afford the big bookcase – start saving now!! I’m going to download that screensaver when I get home – it is too cool!!
    ____
    Barbara

44. Jackie January 7, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

it looks great! love the shade of the pink on the wall

45. Nuit January 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

what a gorgeous space! you did great, this office is to die for =D And having space for Eleanor to play while you work is just priceless isnt it? x

46. monika/eco-stylista January 7, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

I love this space and I can not believe how organized it is. My desk and its surrounding is usually chaotic. I like the pink pouffe! Have a nice day! Monika

47. Grace January 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm #

This looks great! New layouts are so fun.

48. Catrin / maikitten January 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

I just found your charming blog via “the homies”. It’s so lovely and I absolutely envy you for your LCW :) Greetings from Berlin, Germany!

49. Live a Colorful Life January 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

I love everything about your office. So…could you head on over here to California and redo my sewing room? Oh, and also my office, while you’re at it

50. Anne January 7, 2010 at 4:52 pm #

Would you consider a post about some of the great toys that you’ve found for Eleanor? Looks like you’ve found some good ones and spots to tuck them away in the lowest cubes in your office. Enviable!

1. January 7 | KellyGreenShoppe - January 7, 2010

[…] making if lovely Tags: making it lovely, pictures Today at 7:54 PM Leave a reply […]

2. Link Time! | My.BuzzCritic.com - January 9, 2010

[…] I love Nicole’s rearranged office. Maybe you’ll be inspired to make some changes at your home. – Making It Lovely […]

3. Screensaver « Basil Exposition - January 9, 2010

[…] found this screensaver via Making it Lovely, but the photo’s from Swiss Miss (I attempted taking my own photo but the shine off my window […]

4. Home Office Inspiration. | something to chase - August 25, 2010

[…] I am also super-obsessed with Nicole Bach’s home office over at makingitlovely.com. I can’t get enough of it! You can view her post on how she rearranged it here. […]

5. 2010 Recap: The Home | Making it Lovely - January 5, 2011

[…] I rearranged my office. Then I added a new mirror above my desk, and a groovy zigzag rug. Then I neglected to do anything else and haven’t shown you the space since. I shall rectify this in 2011. […]

6. Working on Where I Work | Making it Lovely - June 27, 2011

[…] started to make some changes to it last year. I rearranged the furniture, brought in a pretty mirror and a crazy zigzag rug, but that’s where the progress stopped. I […]

7. Fab March | Making it Lovely - March 12, 2013