Ideas for an Organized Garage

It is totally unnecessary, but sometimes I think about making the inside of our garage cute. I would add pegboard painted in a fun, cheery color (à la Martha Stewart), and inexpensive shelving painted to match. This is pretty much what I have in mind…

Organized Garage

Wouldn’t it be nice to come home to a lovely, colorful, organized garage? Do any of you have enviable spaces like that?

1. Gorm Shelving Unit
  2. Gorm Clip-on Basket
  3. Bicycle Hooks
  4. Liberty of London Bicycle
  5. Pegboard Work Space (via Centsational Girl)
  6. Bright Folding Crate
  7. Modern Toolbox
  8. All-Purpose Storage Bag
  9. Flytta Kitchen Cart
  10. Gardening Gloves
  11. Step Ladder

49 Responses to “Ideas for an Organized Garage”

1. Allison March 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

Nice! I love to find a way to make the ugly stuff that we need to have around look nice!

2. Nina March 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

We have a garage for the first time in our married lives and I’m just dying to make it cute. But that will have to wait quite awhile as the rest of the house needs plenty of work first.

3. Eva March 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm #

No way it could happen around here!! The garage is “man-space”. No womanly or cute decorating allowed.

• Making it Lovely March 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

Hee. I’m sort of the man around the house (when it comes to tools and such anyways). ;)

4. dv March 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

i’m LOVING the color combination here =) would work so well for a nursery!

5. Kari S. March 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

sounds like a good idea to me. It will bring good energy to the room.

6. Sarah @ Dream In Domestic March 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Awww so cute!! I would love this – especially the bike!

7. Kathleen March 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm #

I love this! Our garage is a little shed that is leaning way too far over on one side. I always imagine completely cleaning it out and converting it into a little screen printing shop. But for now it houses creepy daddy long legs, random tools and my Vespa.

8. jodi March 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

i love everything about this.

9. Michelle March 10, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

Nice! I was just thinking at lunchtime about how I can’t wait to make my garage all cute & organized this spring! This is way better than anything I could come up with.

10. Miss B March 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Oh gosh Nicoole I assumed your garage would already be the prettiest this side of the Mississippi! I am sure it already is enviable;) I love the color you chose, you are so good with color.

11. Danielle March 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm #

I always dream of a cute garage also!

12. MB March 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Okay, we live in the UK so there’s no chance of a garage but… I’m lovin’ the Liberty’s bike! So cheerful and cute!

13. Sana March 10, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

good idea! poor garage, why shouldnt it be as nice as the rest of the house!
    i love the colors you have in mind, especially orange!

14. Kristen ~ Pajama Mama March 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

I’ve go the whole gorm system-the one that wraps around a corner-LOVE IT!

Love the hair, too! Go you!

15. Alexis March 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

wish our garage could look like this someday, maybe I would go in there more often. Any idea’s where to find bullet planters/tripod planters at a decent price?

16. Kate at Centsational Girl March 10, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Oh, I recognized that divine pegboard space with the galvanized buckets. . . be still my heart. Fabulous inspiration board as always my dear ! I must have that modern toolbox and those gardening gloves !

17. Tess March 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

ooh I’d LOVE a chance at that… unfortunately, our 1930s house came with a 1930s garage- our little elantra barely fits in!! And the previous owners already painted the inside to match the trim of the house, so that’s about all we can do!

18. nikki March 10, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I look at your idea board and can’t get James Brown’s ‘It’s a Man’s World,’ out of my head. Very cute garage, but organizing this space would be a no, no in our household…my hubby KNOWS where everything is…although I look at it and can’t imagine how.

19. Jessika March 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I love organization, but it does take effort to clean everything out, go through it, create a new plan, and then implement it. We don’t have a garage, but our garage-type area is our laundry room, which we recently redid. It’s connected to our cottage, but it has an outdoor entry. After the organization, we are soooo much happier. Love the inspiration board!

20. Melissa March 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

I love the blue pegboard! I just sprayed some pegboard almost that exact shade. It has yet to go on the wall, but give me another 6 months and I’ll get around to it!!

21. Kristin March 10, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Love it! I am going to be organizing my garage in the next couple weeks! Thanks for the great ideas. :)

22. Meredith from Penelope Loves Lists March 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

This makes my heart so, incredibly happy. Love this collage!

23. Emily March 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

I love this! Thanks for the inspiration. The state of my garage gives me stress and I’ve wanted to do something with it for a long time. I think I have to just do it and then my husband can realize that a garage is not a dumping grounds and that organized tools are far better than unorganized ones!

24. Licia March 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

I love that you brought this up. For many of us, the garage is our daily entrance to the home. I almost never see my front door! I like the light blue and orange. They are a cheery welcome.

25. Megan March 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

I completely agree. I always paint my garage floor and mosiac tile around the water heater. I consider it another room in the house, love your colorful ideas.

26. molly March 10, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

so cute! I have been coveting that striped toolbox forever!

27. trish March 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

that would be so great, coming home to a cute garage space like that. For now I am settling for mostly organized and (mostly) spider-web free, but it’s nice to have something new to shoot for!

28. the southern hostess March 10, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

This would be the cutest garage ever. I love all the color.

29. Anna March 10, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

Just in time to spring cleaning :) Perfect idea!
    BTW Love your blog, just added it my blogroll. Have a nice day!

30. rosecampion March 10, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Honestly, in this area (oak park) I wouldn’t keep anything in the garage that I would care if it was stolen. Back when we owned a house with a garage, it was broken into at least twice, once while I was in the back yard and saw it happening. After the first time, we kept bikes, tools, etc. in our basement, but the first time, they took just about anything that was portable. I’m talking the weedwacker, shovels and rakes, our push mower (not even a gas powered mower), folding chairs, etc. The second time, there wasn’t anything for them to take and I scared them away before they could have taken anything anyways.

31. Emily March 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

our garage needs attention. I’m saving this board. Might as well make it cute if we’re already having to tackle it, right?

32. wanderluster March 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

I have an enviable garage which actually contains many of the items on your list :) And I have begged my husband many times to let me paint the pegboard, but no, the garage is his domain, the only ‘room’ in the house he has decorated on his own, so the pegboard remains in its natural state. Oh well.

33. moderneve March 10, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

you are not the only one! i not-so-secretly desire a beautiful “container store” style garage. so funny, that you posted this. i just scheduled a post for tomorrow with 2 pictures of inspirational well-organized garages. someday, someday.

34. Robyn March 11, 2010 at 5:25 am #

(Sigh) I wish! However if we ever do get a garage I doubt it
    would look like this. Nice to think it could though ;-)

35. kirstie March 11, 2010 at 7:41 am #

I think its a great idea to have a cheery garage – I love the coloured peg board and the orange bicycle hooks and the tool box is very pretty.

I think it would take alot of discipline to keep your garage looking beautiful all the time though – “Hey who put that box infront of my garage ornaments – can’t you see that bike was styled?”

36. PinkVelvetBird March 11, 2010 at 7:48 am #

No! It IS necessary to make it cute! I love my cute “work” spaces :)

37. Jan's camera March 11, 2010 at 9:48 am #

I am in love with that toolbox.

38. Erika March 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

I love the idea of a cute garage! Why not?!?

39. Jill March 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm #

I didn’t think it was possible to covet an organized garage…until now.

40. Angie March 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

I love that you came up with design inspiration for a garage…how unique and interesting. I would love a space like this. I especially like the blue pegboard and shelving with the orange accents.

41. stephanie March 13, 2010 at 8:14 am #

your blog is the best. I ‘m sure you hear this all the time (hopefully you do) but the way you put things together graphically makes my heart happy. I never study blogs…I just skim. But I just want to soak up every detail of yours. so pretty.

42. Creative Dot Mom March 19, 2010 at 1:01 am #

I enjoy reading your blog and I love the layout of your site. I can tell you are passionate about what you do and it shows in all the details. Thanks for sharing your talents with us we are lucky readers!

43. decor8 March 31, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

This is a fantastic space, I like this workshop very much and hope that someday when you have time you can make this happen because I just know that it would be the best.

Did I read that you bought the Target bike? I’m trying to find a bicycle too. I’m sure you will have fun, especially taking your little girl for rides. :)

1. Step Into Our Garage « - March 18, 2011

[…] out Making It Lovely (for those who own garages that don’t […]

2. Six Months Minus One Day | This Grand Life - March 26, 2011

[…] Organize the garage.  Isn’t this a dreamy plan? http://makingitlovely.com/2010/03/10/ideas-for-an-organized-garage/ Did you even know a dreamy garage was […]

3. How am I doing? | This Grand Life - August 5, 2011