119 March 16, 2010

Cutest Dish Rack Ever

We added a dishwasher back when we remodeled our kitchen, but I’ve been washing Eleanor’s bottles, bowls, and spoons by hand. A tea towel on the counter worked well for laying everything out to dry, but then I found the grass drying rack by Boon. It’s adorable.

Cutest Dish Rack Ever

I tried to make the other side of the sink cute too. The green soap dispenser is for hand soap, and the olive oil bottle is for dish soap.

Soap Dispensers

The green one is great but the other isn’t working out as well. I liked the look of it much more than any actual dispensers I had seen, so I thought I was being very clever when I bought it. When I tried to use it though, I realized I’d have to dilute the soap considerably for it to pour through the spout. Oh well. At least I tried, right?

Kitchen Sink

Mandy Ford
    March 16, 2010 at 11:01 am

The grass drying rack is adorable! We just switched to using an oil bottle for our dish soap too, and it does come out a lot slower, but we’ve noticed that we’re saving soap that way because we don’t use nearly as much.

jbhat
    March 16, 2010 at 11:02 am

The drying rack is perfect. I heart everything Boon. Love the snackball.

jbhat

Amy Kelly
    March 16, 2010 at 11:03 am

What a cheery sink you have! I’ve been wanting to find a pretty vessel to hold my dish soap, hand soap, and lotion but I haven’t found the perfect solution yet. It’s a shame the olive oil bottle isn’t very practical, it’s so cute!

Cynthia
    March 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

Hi Nicole how lovely is this!!!!!!!!!!!! And what kind of plant is that?!? I need one!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode
    March 16, 2010 at 11:05 am

I concur with Mandy. I had the same trouble, but I don’t mind, because in reality we tend to use more soap than we need to. Just a thought.

Anyway, it all looks super cute!!!

Keri
    March 16, 2010 at 11:08 am

reminds me of this- http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/image/grassy%20pencil%20and%20pen%20holder.gif

umbra grassy holder. i have one on my desk and love it!

ELIZABETH
    March 16, 2010 at 11:08 am

I’m loving that dish rack. Been thinking about replacing my plastic bottles with nice glass one’s. I like the one’s they have at target!

Allison
    March 16, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have used something similar for dish soap with no problem … an old lemonade bottle with a top that I bought at a resto supply store. Maybe the style of top on mine works better for something viscous like soap? Or maybe my soap was thinner….

Anyhow, here’s a picture of it:

Making it Lovely
      March 16, 2010 at 11:42 am

Love it!

Christina
      March 17, 2010 at 7:23 am

I love that too!!! Very pretty!

Deborah
    March 16, 2010 at 11:13 am

I do the same thing with dish soap, but I buy super cheap dish soap so it pours through nicely. I have a dishwasher so I only use it when I’m soaking something in the sink.

I’m loving mine! So much cuter than the bottle.

Jessica at Lavender and Lilies
    March 16, 2010 at 11:18 am

So cute. I love how you carry the pink through your house. I had the same problem when I tried to use a bottle like that for dish soap.

Jean
    March 16, 2010 at 11:21 am

The olive oil dispenser is beautiful and ingenious! I just started using liquid castile soap for, well, everything, including as dish soap. You’re supposed to water down castile soap so it might work perfectly in your olive oil dispenser.

Tiffany
    March 16, 2010 at 11:25 am

I use a syrup dispenser like you would see at a diner for my dishsoap. Same kind of look, and the top makes dispensing just a little bit pretty easy.

And your house is adorable as always! I’m always inspired and a pinch jealous at how effortless you make it look!

Mrs Soup
    March 16, 2010 at 11:25 am

Oh man, that is so cute….and what a GREAT idea with the olive oil….we’ll have to see if we can get ours to work…we have one with a bigger hole that may work.

Elisa @ whatthevita
    March 16, 2010 at 11:31 am

I read your blog while cooking my breakfast.. then I looked over to my kitchen sink.. and I’m looking at my DAWN dish soap still in its plastic bottle, sitting right by my sink. It’s never looked uglier. Thanks for the idea… Make dish soap look pretty!

anna
    March 16, 2010 at 11:32 am

I have a more functional (less form-tastic) olive oil pourer for my dish soap, and I’ve never had to dilute it. So I guess you have to decide between pretty and “it works” sometimes. :)

christina in nh
    March 16, 2010 at 11:33 am

i just noticed that pottery barn reissued the original 70’s star wars sheets! is your husband campaigning for them yet? hehe

Emma
    March 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

Cute, yes. But, a good place to grow mold fast. No, thanks!

Making it Lovely
      March 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

The grass part pops out and the whole thing is dishwasher safe.

Erika @ Practical Princess
    March 16, 2010 at 11:38 am

That is the cutest sink I have ever seen! Too cute =)

Uyek
    March 16, 2010 at 11:41 am

I use the same olive oil bottle/spout for my detergent and had the same problem with the slow flowing soap. However, a trick of my mother’s saved the day: dilute the soap with some vinegar. It will speed things up and, according to Mum, makes the dishes cleaner too.

Great dish drying rack!!
    I do the bottles-on-a-tea-towel-on-the-countertop too. I am so ordering that rack right now!!

Jenny
    March 16, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love the drying rack but was wondering if you found it to get a moldy smell. That is my only fear if I get it as it does not have anywhere to drain. Would love your feedback.

Charlene @ Sweetchic
    March 16, 2010 at 12:03 pm

AHH! I can’t get over how pretty your SINK area is, of all places! What type of pink dish soap is that? It is the prettiest color…

charmaine
    March 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm

The drying rack is so cute! I use an oil bottle for my dish soap as well, so far no problem. The sink is adorable!

Emily
    March 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Where did you get that adorable baby bowl? My little girl is starting solids so I’m in the market, and everything seems to bright and gaudy.

dolores
    March 16, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I would love to do dishes in that sink any day! Everything looks perfect!!

MB
    March 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I love it! That is the cuttest and coolest drying rack I have ever seen! I’m lovin’ the pink dish soap bottle too. I put our dish soup in an old chemistry bottle. Dish soap in a glass bottle is actually a pretty thing, who knew…Thanks for sharing all your creativity with the world, you’re fabulous!

Margaret
    March 16, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I use a glass sparkling lemonade bottle. It has the old fashioned top attached by a metal clasp, you know the kind? Darling and works like a dream.

Audrie
    March 16, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That’s the cutest drying rack ever!! Now I want one!

Katrina
    March 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

That is the cutest drying rack ever! I’ll have to get one for my best friends baby

Win
    March 16, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I dilute dish soap 1:6 with water in my olive oil bottle. This is for washing individual dishes. In fact, I think this is the recommendation (might have read this on Apartment Therapy a few years ago) because otherwise the soap is far too concentrated.

Scientific Housewife
    March 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

That drying rack is awesome! That would look so neat in my kitchen :)

c
    March 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

oh gosh. i love everything about your kitchen, nicole!

Mrs. Jones
    March 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I used the olive oil dispenser thing for a while, too, but had the same problem. Then I bought this http://bit.ly/bOBYrs and I love it! Just as cute but more functional.

Kimberly @ Daily Sip Studios
    March 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Love how fresh the kitchen looks. Nice, clean color palette! Love it!

Tracy
    March 16, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Pottery Barn makes a clear pump for their bath line.. I use mine with light blue in the kitchen. Works great, and great simple styling!

christie
    March 16, 2010 at 1:36 pm

SO cute! Does the grass come off so you can wash out the white part?

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Yep, it comes apart. The whole thing can go in the dishwasher (if you have one) too.

Danielle
    March 16, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I saw this on Land of Nod’s website! Very cute! Now I know that I want it also!

Decofabulous
    March 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

May not function properly but it sure looks beautiful. :) I have been using a couple of clear soap dispensers for both the liquid soap and the washing up liquid. It gets some people confused when they come to the kitchen but it looks soo much better than the original botthles of both liquids.

sarah
    March 16, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I love your kitchen.

I’ve been using the Limmaren bottles from Ikea for my dish soap for a few years with no problems aside from a little rust spot on the spout, which stays away if I wipe a little oil on it periodically.

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Oh, DUH. I actually have those bottles! They’re upstairs in the bathroom looking pretty but being functionless. I should try one out!

Brigite
    March 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Gah! I must have that drying rack. I looked at the description and it’s recommended for bottles, etc. Would you recommend it as a replacement to a traditional rack for a non-baby household? We have a dishwasher but was certain items (glasses & pots and pans) by hand.

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm

It’s kind of small. It would be fine for a few glasses, but not much more.

Mefi
    March 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm

you make the sink look awesome. thanks for the tip.

Jan
    March 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Love the dish rack! At least you tried with the olive oil bottle; and it seems you’ve gotten some good advise about it.

CaliKatrina
    March 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Ah! A fellow BOON lover!
    Your grass looks perfect and oh so lovely. :)

In Honor Of Design
    March 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm

you find the cutest things! Thanks for sharing all your fun finds with us!

Laura
    March 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I have to have the drying rack. I don’t have childern but have been using metal water bottles and they are a pain to dry…this is perfect and super, super, super cute! Love you can pull it apart and place in dishwasher!!!

It’s at Target for $14.99! I’m going tonight!

Laura
    March 16, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Decorative bottles has always been one of my MS favs! I’ve been wanting to do it but haven’t taken the time to find a clear bottle for recycle or used all my pump soap. I’ve heard you need to cut the soap with water for better pouring performance.

Emily S
    March 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I JUST went and bought the drying rack yesterday, so I was quite amused when i saw it pop up on your blog :) However the rest of my countertop doesn’t look nearly as lovely.

Emily S
    March 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Also, I was wondering if you picked up any good Liberty of London goodies this weekend? I got a few pieces, but my Target had been practically picked clean by the end of the day!

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm

My Target was pretty empty too, and I went just an hour after they opened! I got the bike (ordered it online), and in store I bought some dresses for Eleanor and ties for Brandon.

Natalie
    March 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I just added that drying rack to my baby registry a few days ago! My husband decided that we needed to have a special drying rack for bottles, so I jumped on the opportunity to get the cutest one I could find!

Kari
    March 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Love the drying rack. So adorable.
    And I wonder if it’s just your brand of dishsoap–I use a olive oil bottle for mine, and it’s worked great for years.

simply grove
    March 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm

That drying rack is adorable!!! The whole look is great! xx

• 1 2