Eleanor’s First Birthday Party

We celebrated Eleanor’s first birthday last Sunday. There were plenty of paper daisies (I knew I’d find a use for them some day!), a happy birthday banner, pink baloons, and floral garland across the windows.

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

The weather even cooperated for us.

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor and Brandon

Oh look, an elephant! Too cute, right?

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

That vase is actually a teapot, but it’s adorable when filled with flowers.

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

Eleanor was a gracious host, thoughtfully opting to skip her nap so as not to miss a moment of her party.

Eleanor and Me

Walking

She was in a good mood the whole time though, despite being tired toward the end.

Tired Birthday Girl

I ordered a cake for the party, but I asked for it to be left completely plain with just pale pink frosting. I wanted it to be a blank canvas, but the bakery apparently thought that I meant “smash a bunch of crumbs all around the edge, and pipe some frosting shapes as a border around the whole cake”. Oh well. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do with it anyway; I just knew I wanted to decorate it myself.

Birthday Cake

I made Eleanor’s silhouette out of chocolate for the cake. I melted chocolate chips in a sandwich bag, snipped the end, then laid parchment paper over a template that I had printed out to size. I did the best I could, piping the outline first and then filling it in, and I placed it in the fridge afterward to harden. I also wrote “Happy Birthday Eleanor” in white, lightly scratching the letters in the frosting with a toothpick first as a guide. The cake was not perfect, but it was fine. The guest of honor seemed to like it quite a bit.

Eleanor Loves Birthday Cake!

125 Responses to “Eleanor’s First Birthday Party”

1. Nuit May 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

what a great birthday decor! you did beautifully!! and Eleanor looked like a princess =D Happy birthday Eleanor!!!!

2. Brigite May 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

It looks like a wonderful party!

3. Melissa May 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm #

Cute party! Where is Eleanor’s dress from?

4. Lindsey Rockers May 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

love it… so cute! i’m starring this article… i love the silhouette cake!

5. Natalie May 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

Aww what a beautiful little party!
    I loooove her Liberty of London dress!
    And your new chairs on the patio look fantastic!
    Where did you get her high chair? It is so very chic!

What a good mom you are for creating such a special day for your little one :)

• Making it Lovely May 11, 2010 at 11:36 am #

Thanks! The high chair is by Graco – we got it at my baby shower from Brandon’s sisters.

6. jbhat May 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Happy Birthday! And what a sweet party. Everything looked just right.

jbhat

7. Gail May 10, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Absolutely beautiful! Love the outdoor patio furniture…it looks fabulous. Your photos are stunning and the decorations looked so fierce. Great job! Eleanor is one lucky little lady!

8. Lisa May 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

Such a pretty party! What a lucky and blessed little girl!

9. Miss B May 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

Lol, this was very sweet and I think it’s so funny that the cake people took it upon themselves to fancy it up. The chocolate silo? Bril! Happy Birthday dear Eleanor what a lucky baby you are!

10. Stacey May 10, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Adorable. The cake is incredible (even if it didn’t turn out how you originally intended), the party looked so cute and special, and I want Eleanor’s dress in my size… :]

11. Sixty Fifth Avenue May 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Everything looks so pretty and I love the idea of a chocolate silhouette!!
    The chairs you went with outside look great, so does your yard!

12. laure May 10, 2010 at 8:14 pm #

Love that party! Everything looks so magical and perfect and I love the garlands!

13. CJ May 10, 2010 at 8:27 pm #

What a magical party! The outdoor table setting looked beautiful. I can only imagine what will happen when she gets older and her parties become more elaborate!

14. Lori May 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

That is my favorite liberty of london dress! She is gorgeous. I don’t know you at all but feel happy for you and your family, after watching Eleanor’s first year through your blog. I found making it lovely when researching ideas for my daughters nursery and I have received so much enjoyment and inspiration over the past year. Thank you and congratulations on Eleanor’s first birthday.

15. laurajane May 10, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

Freakin’ adorable. I love the shot of her rubbing her eyes, haha.

Love the whole party! Esp. the elephant teapot/vase! :)

16. Alicia (Atypical Type A) May 10, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

What a great idea to do a chocolate version of the silhouette on the invitations. The paper decorations are darling.

17. Traveling Mama May 10, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

No. No way. It is JUST not possible that a year has already passed! She is such a little beauty and it looks like she had a very special celebration! Happy Birthday, Eleanor!

18. luuve May 10, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

although you think the cake is “okay” it looks awesome!

this looks really fun and pretty..and you and eleanor look sooo pretty!

way to go! 1 down sooo many more to go! they get better and better! :)

19. oddaudra May 10, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

VERY CUTE!! Happy 1st birthday to your beautiful little girl!! I LOVE all of the decorations!! Not b-day party related- may I ask where you got the beautiful silver “eat & drink” sign? :)

• Making it Lovely May 11, 2010 at 11:38 am #

The letters were a gift from my mother-in-law, and she got them in a store in Des Moines Iowa.

20. Pencils May 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm #

Happy birthday to Eleanor! That’s funny, I only found those paper daisies right before my daughter’s first birthday party after I had invested in loads of paper pompoms. Too bad, because her party had a flower theme. This year, however…

Anyway, nice Liberty dress on Eleanor. And I’m impressed that she wore her party hat, Aurora kept ripping hers off before I could even get it straight. And the cake turned out very pretty, even if they didn’t do what you asked.

21. Terrah May 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

Yay!!! Happy birthday Eleanor! And I hope you had a lovely Mothers Day Nicole. Much love from Texas ~ Terrah

22. Jujube May 10, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

Oh so cute :)
    It is a lovely party. Happy Birthday Eleanor.
    I fancy the garlands, you handmade them?

23. sred_kitty May 11, 2010 at 2:49 am #

Oh wow! It looks like it was so much for for everyone, including Eleanor :)

I have that elephant teapot in black. Actually mine has permanently transformed into a vase now that my roommate broke the lid

24. lion May 11, 2010 at 5:07 am #

lovely.. :) Happy Birthday Eleanor… you have a great MOMMY !!!

25. Mrs. Kinne May 11, 2010 at 5:58 am #

The party looks adorable– and that silhouette is a fantastic idea.

26. Céline May 11, 2010 at 6:16 am #

Oh, Happy Birthday Eleonor and congratulations for you Nicole ! I can’t imagine that it’s been already a year Eleonor’s birth: i started reading your blog, you were pregnant and ready for your baby. Time goes too fast !

I love your pictures, they are so lovely ! Thank you for sharing with us this happy day !

Bisous from France :)

27. Lou May 11, 2010 at 6:54 am #

Happy 1st Birthday Eleanor! Thanks to your mummy, you’ll be able to remember it for years to come… clever mum!

I loved your way of personalising the cake Nicole, even if you didn’t think it was perfect. Also, love the paper decorations- might have to ship some down under for a friend’s upcoming 40th…hmm… off to order lovely things now…

28. Laura Gaskill May 11, 2010 at 8:02 am #

What an adorable birthday girl!! Happy 1st birthday, Eleanor! Everything looks delightful, Nicole – and now I really want one of those elephant teapots :)

29. Jennifer May 11, 2010 at 11:39 am #

so lovely! ADORE the pic of her rubbing her eyes, they are so cute when they do that. thank you again for posting the links for the starbursts and garlands – we are holding our daughter’s 4th bday party in our house (has previously been at Nana’s) and I want to do it up!! sorry if you have addressed this before: is it easy to hang up the starbursts? did you use fishing wire?

congrats on what looks like a wonderful celebration.

• Making it Lovely May 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

Fishing line and tape. And safety pins in the living room.

• Jennifer May 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

many thanks!!

30. Mandy Saile of Bijou's Whimsy May 11, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

Oh so sweet…I am 32 and I think I’d be over the top happy with all those beautiful decorations for my own party, ah ha…espeacially the elephant:D

31. Angela May 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I LOVE the cake and just posted a shot of it here: http://simplysilhouettes.blogspot.com/2010/05/birthday-silhouette.html Happy Birthday, Eleanor!

32. Amanda May 11, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Love her LOL dress!

33. John @ Young House Love May 12, 2010 at 7:05 am #

Happy Birthday Eleanor!

34. LiveLikeYou May 12, 2010 at 7:15 am #

What a sweet dining room. She’ll look back at her 1st year pics as an adult and think her mom had style!

35. nancy breslin May 12, 2010 at 7:56 am #

Lovely party!!! Love the pink zig-zag rug in the tv area? Where is it fro?

36. portia pirnia May 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

Happy birthday! What a lovely party. I LOVE your yard — so beautiful. Where did you find that fantastic (wicker?) egg chair?

• Making it Lovely May 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

The egg chair was from Pottery Barn, but they no longer carry it.

37. juliet May 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

Hi! I like the clothes (especially dresses) you wear! I just recently graduated from college and got a job and need a fashion crash course! For the past few years I have lived in jeans, hoodies and converse/vans! Can you recommend some places for me to shop? I work in design, so corporate attire is neither necessary nor desired! I just don’t know how to look fashionable, a little edgy, a little feminine, and appropriate! Any help would be awesome! If you prefer, you can answer to my email address. Thanks in advance!

38. Fiona May 13, 2010 at 5:07 am #

Eleanor is a beauty! Looks like a great party, too.

39. paola May 13, 2010 at 5:33 am #

Happy birthday!! She is happy!! what an amazing hat she has!!

40. lauren May 13, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

She’s so beautiful!! Love the tissue paper decorations too. Btw- Have you lost weight??

41. Christy May 14, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Hi,
    I was wondering if you knew where I could find decorations on how to make the paper daisies. I would like to try & make them before buying them. I also wanted to let you know I think the silhouette idea for a 1st birthday cake was wonderful. You did a fantastic job. If you had not posted anything about the cake & the bakery screw up we’d have known no difference. It all tied in wonderfully. Thanks for sharing.

42. mom101 May 14, 2010 at 10:44 am #

What an incredible set up! Absolutely inspiring. And to think my kids’ first birthday parties were mostly about the sangria. (For us – not them. Promise.)

Happy birthday to your beautiful girl. You’re lucky to have each other.

43. marcy May 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

that cake turned out ridiculously cute and i love the idea of ordering the cake plain and then decorating it–genius! i always make the whole thing from scratch for my boys’ birthdays and it can be a bit much with all of the other preparations that go into making the parties happen. and i LOVE her dress–liberty for target, no? dying to get my niece one for her birthday…keeping my fingers crossed they still have them. happy belated birthday to your little angel. she’s a doll.

• Lulu May 14, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

So cute and I have to say your house is lovely too. Where is the bird wallpaper from?

44. Brittany May 14, 2010 at 11:25 pm #

OK… that chocolate silhouette is AMAZING.

45. Trishna May 15, 2010 at 9:45 am #

This is all too cute.

46. Tanya May 17, 2010 at 7:13 am #

So simple and pretty♥

47. rei May 17, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Beautiful and whimsical!

I love your eat and drink sign. Where can I get letters like that?

48. Kathleen L May 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

I love the pom pom decorations you used! And I love the silhouette cake you made too!
    But I especially love the elephant tea pot, turned vase you have. I actually went out and bought one just like it after seeing yours!!

49. Sarah May 20, 2010 at 2:52 am #

I love your photos! Where is the picture on your wall from? The one of the dark haired girl holding the egg, above your daughter’s high chair?

50. Paty fontes May 25, 2010 at 9:27 am #

I got the same hat for Barbie @ her Bday! Adorable cake! I like the way you think in all details…