37 May 25, 2010

Urban Chairs

Did you notice our backyard patio among the pictures from Eleanor’s birthday party? Just in case you missed it, here it is again.

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

We were able to get four of the chairs through Craigslist (thanks to some helpful readers!), and we picked up the other four Urban chairs at IKEA. They’re working out nicely.

Cheryl
    May 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

love that egg chair and your shrubs! also love that lounge chair you posted yesterday from Restoration Hardware on pin it forward. I would live in that lounge, so much for working again!

Liz @ Bon Temps Beignet
    May 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

I love your egg/pod/whatever-you-call-it chair! Now, if I could only win the lottery, I could make my back yard as pretty as yours.

bJACKSON
    May 25, 2010 at 9:48 am

Are the Urban chairs staying white after being outside in the sun? Ikea could not confirm the color stability, so I am curious if the white will turn yellow and if the orange and green versions will fade. Nice patio design! Looks like a great place to relax!

Making it Lovely
      May 25, 2010 at 10:02 am

They’re getting a little dirty, but they aren’t yellowing at all.

Katie
    May 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

I love the look!! Are the chairs fairly weather resistant!? We need a new patio set, and are looking at a table that can be made longer or shorter from Ikea (looks similar to the one you have) is yours from Ikea? Our chairs right now are cheapies, a quick fix so we could enjoy the deck :-)

HollyP
    May 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

Lovely! What kind of pavers did you use for the patio?

Making it Lovely
      May 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

They’re cement. We got them at The Home Depot and put them in ourselves.

Valerie
        May 25, 2010 at 10:14 am

I can’t believe you guys installed those pavers yourself. I’m in awe :)

Did you ever write up how you did it? Maybe some tips and tricks? I’d love to install my own patio, but am totally overwhelmed by the process. And really, just unsure how to do it.

It looks wonderful!

Making it Lovely
        May 25, 2010 at 10:18 am

I never did a full recap, but I talked about it a bit after we finished.

Mandy Ford
    May 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

Love the chairs – what a great space!

Cheryl
    May 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

question related to orbit chair you have: has anyone looked at and purchased the Outdoor Crazy Chair at Pier 1 (a version of the orbit shape from Crate and Barrel which is no longer available). The website item address is:

or the Wicker Stackable Outdoor Chair from Pier 1:

Durable, comfortable? Thanxs muchly for your input.

Rachel @ La Bella Bungalow
    May 25, 2010 at 10:36 am

Everything looks fantastic Nicole! And I LOVE the egg chair!

~Rachel~

Camila F.
    May 25, 2010 at 10:44 am

Hi Nicole! I just sent you an invitation to an art swap! I hope you like it!

♥, Camila

alison (semi-fab lane)
    May 25, 2010 at 10:50 am

this backyard is amazing! i am turning green as we speak:) great inspiration! where did you snatch that egg chair from?

Tory
    May 25, 2010 at 11:33 am

Oh, how I wish for a little outdoor space in summer. Yours is wonderful. How did the egg chair handle the brutal midwest winter? Or did you store it indoors?

Jenny
    May 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm

LOVE your backyard – fabulous!!!

Licia
    May 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Your backyard looks beautiful. We’re working on ours so we can enjoy it during the warm weather months. I like how you set the table runners. I have a long and wide table and I’ve never found a tablecloth that can cover it, but this idea is much prettier.

Jelena
    May 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I like those chairs, and they are comfy, but ever since I saw them, I always think of a small child falling through the back :( Have anyone had this thought or is it just me?

Jenny
    May 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Oh those are so nifty :D I’ve never seen anything like that. Well maybe I have but they were… wood. And not exactly like that. I can has some? xD

Carolyn
    May 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm

That looks so wondey…you make me a bit jeally!

Kelley@thehiddenlist.com
    May 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Your backyard looks so pretty and green! Much “cooler looking” than my Texas yard that we struggle to keep green amidst the Texas heat!

gina
    May 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Aww it looks great! love how clean and fresh it looks :)

ps hows the bedroom comming along?

Carmie of the Single Nester
    May 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Where did you get that wicker bucket chair from and do you cover it when it rains?

jbhat
    May 25, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I want to come over for some spiked lemonade. Love it out there!

jbhat

drollgirl
    May 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

it looks FANTASTIC!!! just lovely! and i wish i was hanging out there right now!

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself
    May 25, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Amazing! I vote the next blogger get together is in your backyard!! Haha

lifebeginsatthirty
    May 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Looks great!!! I am trying to put together a patio set for my backyard and this is serious inspiration!

Do you have two tables put together?

Are the chairs even remotely comfortable? They look great with the set but I worry about them being uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Adventures In Babywearing
    May 25, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I’m still so in love with your egg chair. Sigh.

Steph

michelle @ pretty mommy
    May 26, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Your backyard is fantastic!! I’m inspired to go clean mine up now :)

Kalee
    May 27, 2010 at 9:05 am

This looks amazing! So inviting and relaxing!

Ashley J
    May 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I am loving your backyard. If I knew you I would be wishing you would invite me over.
    Is it horrible that I the first thing that comes to mind when I see your egg chair is spiders? I’ve seen black widows all over my town (3 in my house before we sprayed)and I would never be able to relax in an egg chair in MY backyard. Damn spiders!

CommaHappy
    May 30, 2010 at 11:35 am

Looks inviting! The Urban chairs turned out great with the table. How stable are they? My worry is having guests feel wobbly on my tiny chairs. :) I remember sitting on these at IKEA but can’t remember my verdict.

I also love that they are stackable… makes it easy to have 8 chairs!

Kate
    May 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm

What a lovely yard you’ve created. It’s so inviting. Did you shoot the photo from a second floor window? Good angle!

Social Space Makeover Contest | Making it Lovely
    June 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

[…] and I did this backyard patio makeover on our own (manual labor and all), but every post about makeovers could use a little inspiration! […]

Deck Mood Board | Teal and Lime
    August 22, 2011 at 7:12 am

[…] Making It Lovely Patio – inspiration for using the Urban chairs […]

8 Round Metal, Stone, & Concrete Outdoor Dining Tables – Making it Lovely
    July 28, 2016 at 1:45 pm

[…] had two wooden outdoor tables, one acacia and the other pine. The acacia table lasted four years before totally falling apart, though to be fair, we didn’t keep up with the […]