Eleanor’s Headboard?

First I saw this crazy cool headboard by johnny vintage on Oh Joy. Then I linked to it in one of my Honor Roll posts. Fast forward three months, and a reader sees the same style of headboard in a twin-size for sale on eBay, and emails the listing to me (thanks, lisalinn). It was listed with just 25 minutes left, and I was able to grab it. Hooray!

The one I’m getting has been painted green, with a distressed black finish. It’s going to get a coat of spray paint, but I’m not sure yet on the color. I am keen on that hot pink version though! I’m thinking I’ll pair the headboard with this simple twin bed and paint the legs to match.

51 Responses to “Eleanor’s Headboard?”

1. Kathryn Humphreys December 6, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Too cute. Word of caution on the ikea bed frames – the slats do not hold up to little jumpers :)

2. liz @ bon temp beignet December 6, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Oh my gosh, these pics bring me back to my childhood. My grandma, Sugar, had these headboards in every bedroom. I love it in pink!

• luuve December 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

I love that your grands name was “sugar” sooo cute :)

• liz @ bon temps beignet December 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Haha, thanks luuve. She picked that name cuz she definitely didn’t want to be called ‘Grandma’. She got the idea from a friend of her’s who had her Grandchildren call her ‘Honey’. So sweet –pun intended. ; )

3. Erika December 6, 2010 at 10:11 am #

Ooh, this is making me wish I had a little girl to decorate for. Cute!

4. Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy December 6, 2010 at 10:12 am #

I actually have two of these headboards at home in white that are just waiting to be used somewhere. I love the idea of using it as a headboard for a little girl’s room, but the only problem is…I have a little boy :( Ha ha. Maybe one day! I think they also look great behind a low dresser.

5. Robin December 6, 2010 at 10:21 am #

Hey Nicole,

I love the headboard!! It will look smashing in E’s new room, can’t wait to see everything together. I have a tip for you about the bed frame…that particular one is not the sturdiest, but here is a great option that is even lessexpensive. IKEA sells sturdy wooden legs for their boxsprings called SULTAN. They are $20 and solid wood. You cab then paint any color. The only thing is that they only work with IKEA’s boxsprings though. Hope that helps, I learned through trial & error.

Thanks for keeping us inspired every day!!

6. April December 6, 2010 at 10:27 am #

She’ll love it!!

7. lauren December 6, 2010 at 10:29 am #

LOOOOOVE THIS!! Lucky little Eleanor.

8. Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons December 6, 2010 at 10:36 am #

aww pretty! Such a fun headboard!!!!

9. stephanie December 6, 2010 at 10:39 am #

i have serious spray painting issues. do yo think you could give a little tutorial as you recreate this beautiful headboard!?

• Making it Lovely December 6, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Sure! What issues do you have specifically? I can try to address them.

• stephanie December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am #

running! my paint likes to drip drip drip. i think i am so used to painting with “normal” paint, that i just put spray paint on too thick. i dont have a good technique for the whole spray lightly in whispy strokes thing. also, i think i get too close to the piece. and..how many coats should it take to cover something?

10. christine {bijouandboheme} December 6, 2010 at 10:46 am #

I LOVE it- so pretty- I would love to see it in a blush/light pink or kelly green for that matter:)

11. Leslie December 6, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Yea for thoughtful readers!!

12. Anna December 6, 2010 at 11:16 am #

My sister and I had hot pink headboards just like this when we were kids. The room had one wall wallpapered with these lollipop orange and hot pink flowers on olive green stems. The curtains were made with strings of pompoms (pink, orange and olive.) The dressers were white with the drawers painted pink. What a great room that was. Hope Eleanor appreciates her room as much (and remembers it as long)!

13. Cassie December 6, 2010 at 11:20 am #

This is awesome! What a kind reader you have! Can’t wait to see your finished product. :)

14. Michelle December 6, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

That’s so funny. I have this same headboard in our guest room. I picked it up a few years ago at a thrift store for $5 and spray painted it white. It is rattan and not super durable, but I love the scroll pattern.

15. Michelle December 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

Also, word of warning. It does not take spray paint well and took many cans.

16. Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife December 6, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

What a nice reader!!!

I cannot wait to see what you paint it…it’s just gorgeous!

17. Mackenzi December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm #

Is your headboard full size like the other images? If so, what will you do with the extra? I see the second image has that issue.

Cute idea, can’t wait to see it all finished.

18. Jill Seidner | Interior Design December 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

Love it, so different. I actually like the white version in the first pic…but could see a paler shade of pink for a girl’s room. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

19. Johanna December 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm #

I gasped out loud when I saw this! How utterly and completely adorable. LOVE!!

20. Zandri December 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

How lucky! You obviously have very attentive & devoted readers! When do we get to see the bedroom? I’m so excited & little bit nosey :)

21. PriscilaPetersDecor December 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm #

It’s more than adorable!! Very cute.

22. Mary December 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm #

I love this! Anyone know the name of it? Or at least a good search term for craigslist or ebay?

Thanks!

• lisalinn December 8, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

try” hollywood regency,rattan wicker headboard, wicker peacock,victorian headbord or look up ebay seller kenedita she often has a lot of wicker, rattan and faux bamboo vintage items, she has one up for auction right now item# 300500427133

23. Emmmylizzzy December 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Jealous!!!

24. Chrystal December 6, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

What a beautiful headboard. :)

25. Dayna December 6, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

I had that exact headboard as a child! But not in pink, that will be super cute. I remember snapping off a few of those scrolls….just something to watch out for ;)

26. Jenn December 6, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

That is so adorable! I really love the hot pink version!

27. Mimi Perez December 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

So Jjealous of E’s beautiful new Big Girl bed!

28. melissa December 7, 2010 at 1:36 am #

ah, gorgeous!!

29. Stefan December 7, 2010 at 7:44 am #

I know I might be overprotective parent but are you concerned about toxic off-gas from spray paint in a child’s bed? Have you considered using a lowVOC paint instead? Seriously, as a new parent maybe I’m just buying into the whole eco no plastics, fiberboard, lowvoc hype and over thinking/worrying but still?

30. Meghan December 7, 2010 at 9:26 am #

That’s a pretty headboard but please be careful to keep it clean of dust and such … those types of headboards are notorious for housing small spiders that bite the bed’s inhabitant! Not to mention the dust mites that will like to live in the little nooks and crannies.

31. Michelle December 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

I had this headboard growing up! My mom painted mine a pale pink. :-)

32. Marca December 8, 2010 at 2:26 am #

I absolutely love this headboard! So so pretty!

33. lisalinn December 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Yay!! Good for you! I’m so glad you won it and that I could be of help. I was hoping to put together a room for my own little girl but I recently gave birth to my 3rd son!

34. stephanie December 9, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

looky what i found!! if anyone is interested in buying it, i could get it for you! i am in VA.

• Olivia December 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

How much? I am dying for a twin headboard!

• Erica October 21, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Did you still have the wicker/rattan peacock headboard for sale in VA?
      This is probably 2 years later but I figured I’d see just in case!

35. Sara December 12, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Love it! I had a very similar headboard growing up in the early 80s … one note of caution is that I recall playing with the curliques and eventually twisting some of them off. So you may want to watch for that with your daughter. And mine was white but I love the idea of painting it!

36. Danielle February 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Incredible find and so awesome in hot pink…my favorite color! And I love the name of your daughter, so elegant and fun!

37. zoe November 30, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

REALLY want to buy a pink one. How much and where? :)

1. Which Bed for Eleanor? | Making it Lovely - December 15, 2010

[...] torn. I love the cool peacock headboard that we have from eBay (to be painted), but I’ve been thinking that the Minnen extendable bed may be a [...]

2. Eleanor’s New Big Girl Bed | Making it Lovely - April 27, 2011

[...] wrote a lot about trying to choose a bed. Vintage wicker peacock headboard? May not survive the toddler years. Toddler bed? Not for us. Adjustable toddler-to-twin? A strong [...]

3. A Bed for August? | Making it Lovely - February 5, 2013

[...] and that hinges on the bed. I had a hard time choosing a bed for Eleanor, too. I thought about a curlicue wicker headboard (too fragile), or IKEA’s adjustable Minnen bed (not bad), but in the end decided to buy a [...]

4. Finds: Vintage Girls Headboard | Ashley Perry Designs Blog - March 20, 2014