MiY 7c: Single Guy’s Living Room

Our little boy is all grown up! We’ve been following the window daybed in this edition of Making it Yours (MiY) as it grows with him, and so far we’ve seen it in his childhood bedroom and again as he was a teenager. Now he’s on his own, and the daybed has found its way to the living room as the couch in his apartment.

Our guys still loves to play guitar. He’s pretty into his music, so he picked up a vintage record player and is now annoyingly into vinyl (he just brings it up waaay too often at parties). He has brought his black armchair with him from his teenage bedroom, and he likes to relax by playing rad games like Portal (hence the framed poster). The living room is a little sparse, but he did bring in some cool nesting tables and a floor lamp with a wooden shade, and he likes that there’s room to keep his bike by the front door. There’s no rug, but the apartment has wood floors, and he painted the walls gray/blue.

What’s next for our single guy? Want him to settle down or keep living the bachelor life?

17 Responses to “MiY 7c: Single Guy’s Living Room”

1. lea August 11, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I loved your description of his annoying vinyl habit, haha.

2. Danielle August 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

I am shocked a boy is able to keep that daybed looking new! If it was my brother, the thing would be in two pieces :-P

3. Valerie August 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

I really like your MIY series, but I don’t know if the daybed has transitioned well for this particular subject. I just can’t see a teenage or young adult male wanting to keep that as a bed, both for comfort (height) or style reasons. I’ve liked all the surrounding objects in each set-up, though!

• Jamie August 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I agree! I think the daybed is too “girly” for a teenage boy or young man. Now, if his girlfriend moves in on the next part in the series, I can see her pulling it out of storage ;)

• dana August 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

i agree with this, too. it seems like the bed didn’t even try in this phase. what linens does he have? or did he get a real mans bed a turn this into a mod-sofa for his pad?

• Making it Lovely August 11, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

It’s a sofa in this room, so there are no linens (just the white cover it came with).

4. Cherri Porter August 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

I love the light blue and brown/black scheme. It’s a good, soft masculine look.

My 10 year old is bursting the seems of the non-daybed; I don’t think the daybed is good for growing boys or men-like beasts. They take up a lot of space!

5. Christina W. August 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

oh lord, i think i would fall in love with any man who rode up to me on that bike

6. Erika August 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

I can see a young bachelor using his old day bed as a couch :)
    I say keep him single a little longer, and let him mature a little bit!

• Rebecca August 12, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I agree with Ericka. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

7. Mary August 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

I agree with Erika. He needs to mature. No more playing music & games all the time. Let’s see him get a responsible job & a place that doesn’t look like a college kid’s place. A little more professional & upscale.

8. Jennifer August 11, 2011 at 10:45 pm #

Do you have any bedspread suggestions for this? I’m looking to buy one for my 22 year old brother and can’t seem to find anything great.

9. Shiley August 12, 2011 at 9:52 am #

I actually really like this series. I think it didn’t have to be all macho-dirty boy. I can totally picture a a cute quirky guy living in this space & the teenager one. ;)

10. Jenna August 12, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Hey, Ana White just covered how to build this day bed! I thought you might want to include a link in the next series for any readers that would like this cool furniture piece without spending a fortune on it!

11. Jessica August 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

This is really crazy, but I see 7A and 7C in this series, did I miss 7B?

12. Amanda August 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Keep him single a little longer. He needs to grow up a bit. :) Also, he needs a name. Which I’ve named him Tim. Tim seems like someone who would ride a bike, and listen to vinyl and tell everyone about it at a party.

1. Our Guy Grows Up: Making it Yours 7D | Making it Lovely - August 15, 2011

[…] had it as his bed in his teenage bedroom (he’s a short enough guy), but when he moved out it became his couch. He still had a lot of maturing to do, so now we’re checking in on him many years […]