Let’s Get Dressed for a Diner en Blanc

Yesterday, I helped pack your bags for a trip. Today I’m focusing on something a little more specific: the Alt Summit Winter Wonderland party, inspired by the French Diner en Blanc. It has everyone stressed! I decided on my outfit soon after the theme was announced because I already owned something suitable (white pencil skirt, sheer top [#13], and a white statement necklace), but now I’m second guessing it. I wish I were going a little more dressy, and what I really want to wear is the lacy little number below. What about you?

1. sparkly dress

15. patterned/striped clutch

16. beaded necklace
    (or this DIY version)

17. metallic ballet flats

18. sleeveless top

19. skirt

42 Responses to “Let’s Get Dressed for a Diner en Blanc”

1. CapreeK January 12, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

OMG, that first dress is amazing!!! Is it too late to return the one I have? ;)

2. Elizabeth January 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

This party has really set off a “what to wear” panic! I wish I’d committed to Alt, because I have the perfect outfit…

Your options are really lovely! Even in a sea of white, that lace dress would be a head-turner.

3. Carolyn January 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Ah I have been lusting after the Nanette Lepore white lace dress for my rehearsal dinner … it’s a justifiable necessity …. right? Right?

4. Amanda January 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Oh my word, no. 4 is gorgeous!

5. Polina January 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Lovely dress!

6. Katy January 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

In love with the lace dress! A rehearsal dinner is definitely reason enough to buy it! Me, work at home mommy, not justifiable… :(

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

I don’t have anywhere to wear it either, except this one time to Alt, hence I have not purchased it. It’s SO pretty though.

• Carolyn January 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

So what everyone is saying is that I should REALLY buy this dress. Rehearsal dinner in May? And every Saturday night from now until then?

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

That’s what we’re saying.

7. Courtney K January 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

The first two dresses are gorgeous! I’m wearing a cream to the floor dress that used to be my Grandmother’s that I love, but never have enough places to wear. See you at Alt!

8. Melissa January 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the items on the top – both those dresses and the accessories/shoes. I swoon.

9. colleen January 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

It definitely has me panicked. The only season-appropriate white thing I have is a valentino evening jacket I scored in a sample sale, but it’s so serious! It’s definitely the one wardrobe thing that has me stumped.

10. myhonestanswer January 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

I love that dress, but I don’t know if it’s a bit weddingy? I suppose you always run that risk with a white theme!

11. Johanna January 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

This post is so pretty and has so much eye candy. What’s a girl to do?

12. houseofearnest January 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

I’m seriously on the fence about what I have picked out… now especially because your picks are SO cute they make me want to switch!!!

13. Molly the Waffler January 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I’m attracted to the tie-neck blouse, though I wonder if the cut would make me look preggers. But maybe paired with fitted black pants…

14. Maggie January 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

I am literally wearing that dress #1 (which was my new year’s dress) to this very event. The sequins definitely take away from its whiteness as they are quite browny gold, but big fat whatever.

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

I think people are being fairly liberal with the all-white theme. Come find me so I can see how cute you look in person!

• Amy@OldSweetSong January 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

Um. Awkward. I’m wearing that same dress!

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Oh, it will be fine. I bet there will be a few duplicates, since everyone is shopping at the same time for an event with a limited color palette!

• Maggie January 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

Ha! Well, Amy, at least I’ll know who you are then, right?!

15. brianne January 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I’m with you. I picked a white cable knit sweater dress I already own and I’m starting to feel like I’m going to be the frumpy one. That piperlime dress is IN-credible!

16. Amy@OldSweetSong January 12, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

Agreed. Plus, I love a good twinsies (or more!) situation.

17. Small House Life January 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I’ll take #4 dress with #7 shoes and #5 earrings.

I love to look at gorgeous clothes like these but rarely actually wear them..

dee :)

18. tracy January 12, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

I’m wearing an off the shoulder shirt/dress (first time rocking that look) with black leggings & a cute beige feather headband. Have you seen some of the new jewelry at Banana Republic lately? It’s super cute. It’s kinda got a Kate Spade vibe. (I picked a cool B&W cuff)

19. mari January 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

I love this post and the previous one! I looking through your Pinterst board now!

Just curious on what you consider as your body ‘type’? I have felt in the past that I can’t wear jcrew because I am curvy/hourglass. But maybe it is time to stop in and try a few things on. It’s been a few years.

• Making it Lovely January 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

I’m very curvy/hourglass, plus I have a tummy that can easily make me look like I’m expecting. I need clothes with a defined waist, feminine proportions, and I avoid shifts and tunics. I look much better in a slim, pencil skirt (like the shape of #4) than I do in a flouncy one (like #1 and #19).

• mari January 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

Thank you! Me too.

Any chance you would consider doing a post on somewhat cute snow boots? I’m living in the midwest again and I’m old enough to pick warmth over ballet flats when it’s zero. :)

20. Jen @ Rambling Renovators January 12, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Dress #4 is sublime. I’ve bought a dress with a jewelled neckline and am pairing it with light grey tights and grey wedge shoes. I’m hoping to wear the dress more than once. I like how white can make you feel tan – especially in the dead of winter!

21. Rachel H. January 13, 2012 at 7:56 am #

Ok, I have no clue when it comes to fashion. I actually have to go to my husband’s office holiday party (it’s always later in the year) tomorrow (eek!) and have no clue what to wear…I have shoes similar to #6 pictured, but what is the rule with open toed shoes? Can you wear them in winter? With or without panty hose? Help, please!

22. Jessica @shimmerkai January 13, 2012 at 7:57 am #

I love that tie-neck blouse- thanks for sharing! Getting an outfit is definitely on my to-do list this weekend

23. Rachel H. January 13, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Also, can one wear boots with a skirt/dress? I don’t own any boots, but I also don’t like heels…what’s your take on flats with dresses/skirts?

24. Sara January 13, 2012 at 9:08 am #

I love the sparkly heels!

25. Jonica January 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

ditto on the white lace dress love! it’s gorgeous.

26. jana January 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Hello hello! I’m going to ALT too…scored a last minute ticket (yay!) and have just been racking my brain for the white outfit…I am prone to spilling things too so, hopefully it will stay white haha. I opted for a beige, blush, cream, nude heels look…so we will see…I can’t wait to meet you!

27. Jessie January 15, 2012 at 11:04 am #

SO stressed about this dinner!! Plus I have a new bun-in-the-oven belly that just popped a bit, so my choices are limited further! I might have to stay in and order room service that night :(

28. Claire January 17, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Hi Nicole. I’m having trouble getting through to a lot of the links for the clothing items. It seems to be the ones that link to rstyle.me. Any idea why? Could it be browser (IE) or location (Canada)?
    I was curious where the white jeans are from.
    Thanks!
    Claire

29. Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet January 17, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

That lace dress made my heart skip a beat. How beautiful!

30. Dee February 15, 2012 at 12:12 am #

Lovely choices! Stumbled upon your blog. :-)

1. getting ready for Alt… // rachel & the city - January 17, 2012

[...] everyone is wearing. A LOT of talk. There are many cute blog posts on the topic, like this one and this one. One woman says she is bringing SIX pairs of shoes. For a three-day conference!! I am a little [...]

2. Style: January ’12 | Making it Lovely - January 31, 2012

[...] squeaking in at the end here with this month’s style post! I had put together two fashion posts earlier in the month, but a few people have been asking for the official January outfit, so here it [...]