An Easter Table With a Neon Twist

Today’s post is by a new contributor to Making it Lovely, Andrea Howe. I met and roomed with her at Camp Mighty last year, and I know you’re going to adore her as much as I do.

Yesterday, we saw my take on an Easter table. Andrea has been celebrating neon for the past week over on her style blog, For the Love of…, and today she’s sharing some crafty ideas for bringing a little neon to the table for the holiday.

I’ve loved neon for as long as I can remember, and am thrilled to see it make a resurgence, in a very updated and modern way. While neon may be most used in the style world, I wanted to add a touch of it to the home, and so created an Easter table setting infused with subtle touches of neon.  I like neon best in small doses and when displayed back to neutrals, so set against the rich wood of a farmhouse dining table the bright colors pop, yet the overall feel isn’t overpowering.

I began by focusing on using things I already owned as key parts of the table setting. These include pieces from my milk glass collection that belonged to my Grandmother, a couple of plain white Easter bunnies, simple white napkins and placemats, and my never-ending supply of mason jars.

I began by spray painting mason jars first in a coat of primer, then with a couple of coats of neon and plain white spray paint. I wrapped some neon and white twine around each jar, held in place with a spot of hot glue. I also added a coat of spray paint to some adorable little ceramic bunnies I had found at Michael’s. The ceramic absorbed the spray paint beautifully.

I took fabric paint and plain white napkins, and simply added polka dots in a random pattern using a round sponge brush available at any craft store. The trick to working with neon is to just focus on 2-3 colors at a time. Anymore and it starts to look a bit dated.

The last thing I did was add a few eggs, first brushed with neon paint. Once dry, the eggs were coated with standard craft glue, then dusted with Martha Stewart neon glitter. Placed in a hobnop candy dish, for me it’s the perfect blend of vintage modern.

By using a mix of pieces I already own and love, and creating some easy and inexpensive DIY’s, I’m thrilled with the results of my modern neon table setting for Easter.

48 Responses to “An Easter Table With a Neon Twist”

1. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} April 4, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Hi Andrea! Very nice post! I love the classic setting with the hits of neon. I must be a child of the 80s because I also love neon, and am experiencing total neon ADD/overload with all the great stuff out there right now! I’m like a magpie :) Thanks for sharing your table setting!

2. Allison April 4, 2012 at 8:28 am #

I love that the pink jars are the same colour as my nails! I clearly need to get on this DIY!

3. Giulia April 4, 2012 at 8:36 am #

This is great! Love the napkins and all the painted details. Great post.

4. Kate April 4, 2012 at 9:06 am #

I love this! It feels chic and modern and at the same time something that kids would love!

5. Melissa April 4, 2012 at 9:23 am #

That looks really cute!

6. Jill V / TerraSavvy April 4, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Hi Andrea! Loved meeting you too at Camp!

Pretty pretty table and craft ideas!

xo

7. Jules April 4, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Yay! Andrea! You know, I remember neon. I lived neon in the 80s, and swore I would never, ever go back. But this, I love. It’s amazing how different neon reads when paired with neutrals. Much more sophisticated, yet still fun. Perfect for summer.

8. laura parke April 4, 2012 at 11:24 am #

such cute and easy ideas!! neon for easter seems so fun & fresh.

9. Jackie April 4, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Love this! Can you tell me where you got your mason jars and eggs from?

• Andrea Howe April 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Hi Jackie, thanks so much! I got the paper mache eggs and the smooth, plain mason jars at Michaels. The regular mason jars I usually just pick up whenever I see them on sale somewhere. I love them for parties and props so I always have a case or two on hand.

• Jackie April 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks! What stores do you buy cases from usually?

• Jules April 5, 2012 at 1:25 am #

I’ve also bought them at Stater Bros. and Walmart, but I believe the brand is Kerr. At Staters you can buy the quilted jars and those are stinkin’ cute.

10. Marianne April 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

This is beautiful- so bright and festive! I love it!

11. Andrea Howe April 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Jackie I usually get mine at Smart N Final, or they have them at all our local grocery stores, usually up front with all the canning stuff. I even saw them at Target recently in cases

12. Mandy April 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Love this post – what is the source for the neon twine? And I have yet to see Martha Stewart neon glitter – where did you get that?

• Andrea Howe April 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Hi Mandy. Apologies, I should have included a link. I just ordered mine from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Glitter-12-Pack/dp/B005573CPS

But, my friend just scored the same pack by bidding on it at eBay for $12.99! If you have the patience you can try to get it there for less, otherwise Amazon has it for $19.99

And I made some lovely neon glitter notecards on my style blog as well using the same glitter. So definitely an idea on how to get more use out of all that glitter :)

• Andrea Howe April 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

Oh, and the neon pink and white twine is just from Lowe’s but I’ve seen it at Home Depot too. The neon green is actually standard embroidery floss.

• The Gobstopper April 5, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Hi Andrea, sorry to trouble you, but I can’t seem to order it from the UK. Do you by any chance know any supplier in England? Thanks in advance.

13. Molly the Waffler April 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Gorgeous! And perhaps a possible craft project with my kids…

14. Jessica @shimmerkai April 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

What a fresh twist on Easter decor! Love it.

15. Lily April 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

I love the neon mason jars! Awesome way to add some spunk to Easter decor :0)

16. Liz April 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

How lovely!! I rocked neon in the 80′s too and have not been sure if I can embrace it again! I might add i am from NJ so you can only imagine my long neon pink nails! I must admit your posts have gotten me a bit more excited and maybe ready to try some in these updated ways! Thanks for the inspiration :)

17. Corrin April 4, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

We need to talk about those neon bunnies. I need a whole family of them.

• Andrea Howe April 5, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I know right? I wish they had more at my store…I can see a forest in the making ;)

18. Julia April 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

i have a lot of mason jars too–i love how modern they look in neon. thanks for the ideas!

19. Krista April 5, 2012 at 7:18 am #

Omg. These are so adorable! DIY project in the making!!

20. Annie April 5, 2012 at 9:22 am #

This would make such a great party palette even after Easter. I love how the neon with whites and browns to make the colors fun but accessible… not at all overwhelming! :)

21. Amy Renea April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

really really beautiful!!! The tulip photo is BEYOND beautiful!

22. Caitlin @ Hardly Housewives April 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Such a good point about how it starts to look dated if you include TOO MUCH neon.

Love what you’ve done here! I’d be tempted to keep those mason jars out for all seasons!

23. Christie Cambio April 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Adorable Easter tables!! I have a random question for you…Where did you get the white elephant planter pictured in Eleanor’s first birthday party? Thank you!

• Making it Lovely April 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

It was a teapot from Cost Plus World Market. It was just around $10.

24. Ghirlanda di Popcorn April 6, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I love neon colours!
    Beautiful table setting!

Happy Easter
    Silvia

25. Carrie Rowe April 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

This is seriously ADORABLE!!! I officially want to throw an Easter party and copy everything. GREAT job!

26. Kristín April 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

love the jars!

27. Alli April 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Oh my gosh, LOVE! Definitely a girl after my own heart. Love how this takes me back to my roller skating days…

28. Jillian Elizabeth April 9, 2012 at 5:56 am #

The spray-painted jars look incredible! Such a creative idea…love the whole table setting…

29. Brianne Joy August 22, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I LOVEEEEE this!!

1. Photo Class: In Neon Color « warmhotchocolate - April 5, 2012

[...] rule of thirds. Since I’ve been loving all of the blog posts about neon colors lately (here, here, and here), I decided to practice this principle using a few images I had on hand that feature (or [...]

2. Friday Link Love | The Sweetest Occasion - April 6, 2012

[...] neon for Easter Friday Link Love Friday Link Love Friday Link Love Friday Link Love Friday Link Love [...]

3. Neon Tween Birthday Party Theme | Making it Lovely - August 22, 2012

[...] wow that neon gives some zing! It could be toned down too though. Andrea used neon brilliantly in this table setting.What do you think? Would you use neon for a party?Related Posts Eleanor’s First Birthday [...]

4. Trends: Mason Jars - August 27, 2012

[...] An Easter Table with a Neon Twist from Making it Lovely [...]

5. A Look Back at 2012 | Making it Lovely - December 31, 2012

[...] Howe was a fantastic addition, bring us posts like this neon table setting and tutorials like how to make a statement necklace (which has been pinned over 27,000 times to [...]

6. 25 Neon Inspired DIY Projects For the Love of… - February 25, 2013

[...] them. So let’s get started shall we? Easter Table With A Neon Twist (contributors project for Making It Lovely)DIY Neon Glitter [...]

7. Great Ways To Get Ready For Easter - March 18, 2013

[...] Get the instructions for these neon dot napkins here. [...]

8. Neon trend: 15 New Neon Projects! | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking - November 29, 2013

[…] 13. Neon Thumbtacks from Made By Girl   14. Neon Tablescape from Making It Lovely […]

9. Modern Easter Table Settings - Yay for Handmade! - April 10, 2014

[…] Mason jars get a makeover with pops of neon with this cheerful tablescape via Making It Lovely […]

10. {Themed Party} 80’s!なネオンカラー | ベンジャミンズパーティー - April 21, 2014