A Hip Handmade Holiday

I was in Salt Lake City last month to meet with Allison Faulkner and Susan Petersen of The Craft Pack, along with their fantastic designer Matt Mildenstein. I got a sneak peek at their new digital book, A Hip Handmade Holiday, which is filled with craft projects, ideas, and digital downloads, all to make gifts for under $10 a pop.

Alison Faulkner, Nicole Balch, and Susan Petersen

A bunch of us bloggers gathered and got our craft on, choosing different projects from the book. (I went with the Nutcracker Bowling League.) I have since decided that I ought to set aside entire days devoted to group crafting, because that is fun.

Getting Our Craft On

Video! Done in one take! Alison and Susan are naturals. (Oh, you guys. I’m totally going to be a pro at this some day. I’m working on it.)

The trip was made possible by Vivint. Styling and awesome background by Cayleen Haynie, and music by Pleasant Pictures.

“I kind of Sgt. Peppered them up a little bit.” See? Pro-talk. The nutcrackers are awfully cute though, aren’t they? I’m a little hesitant to let the kids use them as bowling pins. I think I need to make a few more, specifically to set aside as decorations.

The Nutcracker Bowling League

We got our party on* later that night, after our marathon crafting was over. I’m pretty sure 95% of the internet’s cute, crafty bloggers are based in Utah, including most of the ladies below.

* Parties in SLC are mostly fueled by Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper. Also, I got eyelash extension while I was in town! (Sadly, not before the video and photos though.) Utah, you’re a kick.

A Hip Handmade Holiday Celebration

A big thank you to The Craft Pack for having me out to Salt Lake City. Their book, A Hip Handmade Holiday is available now, for $10.

26 Responses to “A Hip Handmade Holiday”

1. heidikins November 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Awww, I’m so glad my town treated you right! :) (And yes, I’m convinced the bulk of Salt Lake City is, in fact, fueled by Diet Coke and DDP. Mmmmmm.)

xox

2. Alison November 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

so fun! thanks so much girl! we loved having you and yes, we party SO HARD.

3. Chelsea November 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

What is that brown and black sweater/dress/shirt you’re wearing??

4. Kirsty November 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

This looks so cool. I’m heading over to buy my copy now!

5. Yelle November 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Looks like such a fun day! Me and another blogger friend have made plans to get together once a month like this! So inspiring!

6. Katie November 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

you are so cute in this video! what a sweet personality.

• georgia November 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

Ditto, plus these guys are AWESOME!

7. mandy @ this girl's life November 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

I just discovered this book through the Small Fry blog and I love it! Definitely something I’m going to purchase. I really appreciate that they made it affordable with all of the printable projects. :)

8. Chelsey Jorgensen November 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Bwahahaha! I nearly snorted my Diet Dr. Pepper through my nose! Parties in SLC are the best. Boy, I miss my home sometimes! (P.S. I don’t buy ebooks as a rule, but pretty sure I’m buying this one. Those nutcrackers are right up my alley.) (P.P.S. Bowling reference not intended, but still awesome.)

9. Donaville November 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Bought my copy today and can’t wait to dive into the numerous fun DIYs!

10. Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG November 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm #

wow – those are so cute! I would definitely be keeping those as decorations instead of bowling pins!

11. Christine Drumgoole November 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

These are great. Wonderful job, Nicole. I wish I had scene this three years ago. My daughter’s first birthday theme was “The Nutcracker”, as she has a mid December birthday. Too cute!

12. Natalie November 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Nutcrackers usually creep me out, but those are actually pretty cute!

Question for ya: Have you ever purchased a refurbished large appliance? I’m trying to decide if that’s the way to go for our fridge purchase, and I’d love to know any info you have on the subject. Thanks so much!

• Making it Lovely November 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I don’t have experience with them, but I’d buy a reconditioned appliance, sure.

13. Peaches November 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Those nutcrackers are precious. And y’all are so cute! And I am so jealous. I love a good Diet Coke party.

14. julie November 8, 2012 at 11:06 am #

can’t believe we are crafting for the holidays already !!

15. Tristan B. November 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Looks like so much fun! You all look gorgeous in the group photo too!

16. Maria @ Redecorate Blog November 9, 2012 at 1:38 am #

What a fun craft meet-up! I love how the Nutcrackers turned out. I would love to have a craft party of my own with some of my friends — looks like a blast! :-)

17. Aimee November 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

It was really nice to see you at the meet and greet too. Your bowling nutcrackers were so adorable. Glad that you got a chance to have fun crafting!

18. Dale Coykendall November 11, 2012 at 9:59 am #

Thank you I was curious to see at least one of the projects in the book.
    We have a “Crafternoon ” with my daughters friends (a TOTAL blast!) and we’re looking for fresh ideas
    !Thanks
    Dale

19. Linda Geertsen November 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

I’ve been reading about the Hip Handmade Holiday in many places. I am happy to see that you were able to hang out with the Craft Pack–what fun! I’m thinking that I want to devote entire days throughout the year to group crafting, too.

1. Honor Roll | Making it Lovely - November 12, 2012

[...] boards on Pinterest now. Thanks, interwebz!“Why I blog.” Well said, Erin.Inspired by my Nutcracker Bowling League craft, I’ve gathered 20 handmade holiday gift ideas!These limited edition teapots for Crate & [...]