27 March 7, 2014

Honor Roll

The Real Cost of Emily Gould's Novel

Mirrors, Mirrors on the Wall
My Writing, Elsewhere…

• I’m this week’s guest on The Lively Show! Jess and I talked all about blogging and its monetization, along with our thoughts on what’s coming up and how to adapt.

• So many beautiful wall mirrors out there.

• Ceiling medallions as art — an idea that has been around for a while, but that’s making the rounds again.

Laura @ Rather Square
    March 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Coincidentally, I’m listening to the Lively Show podcast right now! Great new show and I enjoyed hearing your insights.

Making it Lovely
      March 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thank you! I’ve been enjoying the other episodes, too.

WES
    March 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Can you check your link for the marker space for kids? Is it just me or is that going to the Mirror Mirror link?

Making it Lovely
      March 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Oops, it was, but I’ve fixed it. Sorry about that.

WES
        March 7, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Awesome thanks :) And thanks for being able to see through my typo, ’cause marker doesn’t equal maker.

Jess Lively
    March 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Thank you so much for being on the show, Nicole!! People are loving your insights! : )

Making it Lovely
      March 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm

It was wonderful to be on! Thanks again for having me.

Kathryn
    March 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Thanks for the link love! Off to listen to the podcast now.

Jillian
    March 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Loved you on the Lively Show! I appreciated how open you were and how willing you were to share insight about blogging as a way to support your family. Very inspiring!

So, on the 1200 calories thing…I know Paleo isn’t for everyone, but I think the best message I’ve managed to internalize out of the movement is that 1200, no matter what you’re eating, is not just unrealistic, it’s basically starvation. It was so great to finally let go of this expectation that being hungry all the time is normal, and if it means I’m five or even ten pounds heavier, so what. At least I’m happy!

Megan C.
    March 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm

A maker space is interesting from a socio-economical standpoint. Only a family with a certain amount of money, time, and space could realistically create one.

Kathryn
      March 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

True, but we’re not creating a maker space in the same way a library is looking to, but rather naming our “play space” for the current trend as we look to support our children’s learning and the activities that happen there. I think many home play spaces are “maker spaces” in that they are often invested in tinkering and creating. We’re not investing in a 3-d printing system and laser printers, but are investing in the two children who create constantly. It is true though, that the space is a luxury and our education budget, while modest, does extend to simple electronic parts, broken/outdated things to take apart, recyclables, paper, and art supplies.

Traci
    March 7, 2014 at 1:46 pm

There is nothing I love more than great lists of links! I especially love the Maker Space bit. I was very creative as a child and had stuff everyone, but man oh man would I have loved a space like that!

Ali Burtt
    March 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I didn’t watch the Oscars, but I was on Twitter when they showed Kim Novak and the comments made me instantly uncomfortable. That post hit the nail on the head.

julia-tagandtibby
    March 8, 2014 at 7:45 am

I LOVE the concept of a maker space. Would love to do this in our basement. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    March 8, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Holy smokes … the AMA with Martha was the bomb. Thank you, Martha, for humoring the peons with your entertaining answers to the sometimes-nuts questions.

And interesting that you are writing about using ceiling medallions on walls. I was inspired by that very BHG photo several years ago, before the days of Pinterest when you actually had to tear pages out of magazines. I ended up doing a ceiling medallion installation in my bedroom, to help minimize the attention on the TV that sits on our dresser across from the bed. You can check it out here:

Making it Lovely
      March 14, 2014 at 12:10 pm

It looks so good — and I love the dark wall color, too!

Morgan
    March 9, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Nicole, what amazing mustard shirt are you wearing in the photo with Lively?

Anne
    March 10, 2014 at 9:55 am

The Emily Gould essay was interesting, but am I the only one who found her to be immature and annoying? I think the reader is supposed to think she’s gained some self-awareness and responsibility by the end, but I finished the piece not liking her any more than when I started, nor believing she finally had her $hit together. She strikes me as a prime example of the delayed adulthood eluding so many people in their 20s and 30s.

Tara
      March 10, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I really hesitate to be critical online. You know, the whole “everyone’s journey is their own” bit, BUT YES! Incredibly annoying. And entitled. And completely devoid any self awareness. All I heard was “hashtag first world problems.”

Making it Lovely
      March 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

She’s a polarizing figure, and the essay continued on that.

Lea Hart
    March 10, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Could you link to the blue bathroom in your talk? I’d love to see it! Thanks

Lindsey Richardson
    March 11, 2014 at 12:00 am

Nicole, I just have to thank you for such a wonderful share on the Jess Lively podcast. I have been working on my blog and growing my personal brand for about a year and a half. Your story really resonated with me! Thank you for sharing so openly and being such a real voice! Can’t wait to follow everything you do!

Evelyn W
    March 11, 2014 at 8:42 am

Wow, the Gould post. It made me start reading more about the Gessen-Gould-Gawker triangle. Thanks for sharing.

These are fun/eye opening.