'L' for Lighting Double Parlor Home Library The Victorian House

So Close, Chandelier

My taste in lighting runs toward the OMG-how-much!?, so finding new fixtures for the double parlor was not a pressing issue. Oh, there are plenty of lights I like — finding those is no problem! Finding lights that I’m crazy about and can afford? Not as easy. I love these…

Orb Lighting

• Roll & Hill’s Modo Chandelier, 3-Sided, 10 globes, milk glass and brass finish, $5850.
    This one has been on my mind for years. (It’s in the huge lighting roundup I did a few years back.) There are knockoffs for less, and other more affordable options that took pretty liberal inspiration from this design, but it doesn’t feel right to go for those.

• Caviar 8 Light Cluster Pendant, Large, Rose Gold, $4032 (or a mere $3780 for the non-adjustable version). Pink! Rose gold! I can’t spend that much on a light (times two)!

• Pretty Much Every vintage Stilnovo light on 1st Dibs. Beautiful! Perfect! Price upon request! (Never a good sign.)

• There are certain things that I think are worth the splurge, and lighting is one of them. It’s not in my budget to splurge quite that much when we have rewiring and repairs and other more pressing needs in the house though, so I’ve held off. I’m always watching the new collections in stores, waiting for a light to come out in my price range that I loved enough to buy times two for a matching set, and I figured that maybe my lights-to-be weren’t out there yet.

Then the Gooseneck Pelle Chandelier came along from West Elm. Whoohoo! I thought we may have had a winner! $799, but it was on sale for a while at $639. I love the shape. I prefer polished, unlacquered brass over brushed or satin, but I liked the finish enough to go for it. And no bare bulbs! I’d been hoping to find something with milk glass, but the frosted glass was pretty close.

Pelle Chandelier - Gooseneck (West Elm)

Then when I saw the fixture in person, I didn’t like it as much as I’d hoped I would. There is a texture to the glass that I’m not into (and that I suspect would collect dust), and they had a cool white cast vs. the warm ivory I prefer. So now I’m on the lookout again. I don’t want to put a light in just because it’s better — I want to find something that’s going to be amazing.

And then I went and spent all my extra dollars on a pair of sconces instead anyway! (I bought them with a trade discount, but still.) They should arrive this week, along with some hardware for the doors along the base of the bookshelves.

The Library Bookshelves' Jewelry

We’re putting so much into this house — time, effort, money — that I’m trying to step back and really think the more permanent things over before I bring in anything else that I’m not completely in love with. Carved wooden tassels, painted pink? They’re probably not for everyone, but I’m so ridiculously excited about them. They’re going to be the awesome necklace to the unadorned outfit that is my oak-oak-oak library.

Now if I could just figure out the chandelier/pendant/whatever situation. Want some mockups? Ahoy! (Ignore the weirdness along the base of the bookshelves. I Photoshopped out four chairs.)

Library Lighting Photoshop Mockups
    Modern Brass Chandeliers

1. Roll & Hill’s Modo Chandelier, The Future Perfect ($5850)
      So perfect, but I can’t.

2. Pelle Chandelier – Gooseneck, West Elm ($799)
      Am I being too picky? It is the best option under $1000.

3. Bistro Globe Milk Glass Burst Chandelier, RH Modern ($1765)
      Very cool. Slightly too fifties for my liking. A little too expensive too, but can be had on sale.

4. Voyage, Cedar and Moss ($225!)
      Brandon doesn’t care for it.

5. Modern Globe Pendant, Circa Lighting ($2100)
      More classic than I was initially considering, but isn’t it lovely? Not in the budget right now, but I could stretch and save for it. Except it doesn’t play as nicely with the dining room fixture as the others, so then that would need replacing too.

6. Medium Glass Balloon Chandelier, Shades of Light ($1590)
      I like it a lot but I don’t think I love it. And for that much, I need to love it.

Well, there we go. That’s the vision. Eventually the room will match what I see in my head for it, whether something else comes along or I save up for one of the options above. What do you think? Have a preference? Or better yet, a recommendation for something else that I haven’t seen?

p.s. Here’s the rug in the mockup. Sold out in the larger sizes, but on clearance if you’re looking for a cute small rug.

You Might Also Like...

Lisa
    November 16, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I’m with Brandon on #4. #5 is nice, but in the mock-up it looks a little under-scaled in the room, I think the ones with more volume look more proportional.

November 16, 2015 at 10:05 pm

There will be two though, between the two rooms. Which makes me think that maybe the others will be too much and a globe pendant would be the better choice?

sarah
    November 16, 2015 at 3:05 pm

It’s so much fun to see these rooms come together :)

At first glance I’m liking mock-ups 3, 5, and 6. The modern feel of both 3 and 6 could be a nice contrast to some of the more traditional elements of the room (but on the other hand, it’s also hard to say whether they might be too modern…?)

Number 5 is lovely, and appears more traditional without going super old-fashioned. The only caveat with that one is the scale–it’s hard to tell if it would be too small for the space.

All beautiful options in the end, though!

November 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm

We have a Circa Lighting store in Chicago, so I would go check it out in person, but the size of it is quite large (24″ diameter).

I’m also eyeing the Hood Pendant from Rejuvenation but I have the same reservations about scale. Much more affordable though!

Heather
        November 16, 2015 at 6:23 pm

I vote for the Hood! It would look simple and classic, yet lovely. You certainly have a lot going on in the first floor of your house and this light would be a nice touch! Buy it!

Rachel
    November 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

#s 2, 5, and 6 do a lot to breakup the myriad of horizontal and vertical lines in the room, without adding too much visual symmetry. Of them, I like #2 the best. I wonder if it’d be possible to swap out the globes for a different option. Lighting stores generally have replacement globes, and assume the opening isn’t too terribly out of the ordinary, they might have some on-hand/would be able to order them.

Megan C.
    November 16, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Have you tried Etsy? I bet a shop like this will make the chandelier to your specifications: https://www.etsy.com/listing/247348834/modern-chandelier-chrome-polished-nickel

Kristina
    November 16, 2015 at 3:39 pm

5 is my fav for the space!

Kelly
    November 16, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Fun post!

I actually like the West Elm one (#2) the best by a mile in terms of scale and style. I agree that maybe just changing out the globes with a warmer, smoother version may be the best (and cheapest) way to get exactly what you want (or at least close enough).

Kim
    November 16, 2015 at 3:41 pm

#4 – no way. Looks too modern especially against the built-ins.

I didn’t have much of a reaction to any others UNTIL I saw #5. It seems to be framed by the nook between bookcases perfectly and doesn’t overly obstruct views. Wonder if you could find something similar with a more common spherical globe and have a glass maker swap out for the egg shape in a more budget-friendly manner.

Mary
    November 16, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I like #1. All of them look good, but that one is my favorite.

Tracy
    November 16, 2015 at 4:02 pm

#3. Swoon.

Sara Rose
    November 16, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I had a tough time because none of them have the coziness that I would prefer in a library but for the space – my top picks are 3 or 5. 4 is vile. The others aren’t actually good enough for trying so hard.

Chelsea T
    November 16, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Well, since #1 is completely out of consideration due to price…I’m really digging 3 or 6. I love the organic, but still symmetrical feel to both of them. Really not into #4 – too bitsy for this space.

kim
    November 16, 2015 at 4:34 pm

$6 – the scale is good. Its modern without being sputnik-esque. I know the ‘nikies are having a major moment but I fear they are going to look flea market in a few years and everyone will get rid of them (again!). Clean geometry is timeless.

Nicole M.
    November 16, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Have you looked at Rejuvenation? The Hood (http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/hood/configurations/old-brass-with-12in-opal-shade) reminds me of #5, but a smaller scale … Or Lucent Light shop on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/LucentLightshop) has some beautiful alternatives to #3!

November 16, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I just replied to an earlier comment that I was considering the Hood Pendant! Much more affordable. There is an 18″ diameter option that could work. I need to find/make something round with that size and see if the scale would be right. And Lucent — I remember their lights from Little Green Notebook. Jenny had them make a gorgeous Sputnik-inspired piece and a couple of sconces. Thanks for the reminder!

Nicole M
        November 18, 2015 at 7:35 pm

OMG … Have you seen Restoration Hardware’s new Modern lighting line!!

Jane
    November 16, 2015 at 5:52 pm

This is a fun post. But I am not sure that the sputnik style hits quite the right note, for me, with this space.

Kind of in love with this one.
    Although might like it better if it were a color, rather than gold–or even black. I think you may want to consider tying the lighting in with the black secretary or table.

November 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm

That’s pretty.

Katie
      November 17, 2015 at 6:53 am

I love that chandelier! It could be a show stopper in the library.

Out of the choices I love 1 and 6, 1 cause…its just perfect. But as far as scale 6 fills out the space nicely and gives your eye a reason to look horizontally vs. Just vertically (I hope that makes sense)

Rachel
    November 16, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Tough choice. I would go with either #1 or #5. Good luck!

Alison
    November 16, 2015 at 6:11 pm

#3! For the size and the colour. I wouldn’t get as excited as you about pink tassel sconces (though I’m very pleased someone makes something that so tickles your fancy!) but against the image of the library I totally appreciate that pink blush.

November 16, 2015 at 10:13 pm

You know, this may be my favorite response from someone about an item that I like and understand is not to everyone’s taste! Thank you.

Heather
    November 16, 2015 at 8:01 pm

6 all the way.

November 16, 2015 at 10:14 pm

There are some amazing choices in both of those. I added a few to my lighting board on Pinterest, but I don’t think they’re right for the space.

Lyndsey
    November 16, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I would do 5 for sure. But they are all very nice.

Wilma
    November 16, 2015 at 9:25 pm

#3, or #5

Cindy
    November 16, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Oooh! I like 3 or 5… good luck!!

Sue
    November 16, 2015 at 9:29 pm

#5 is the “only” choice–traditional without being old fashioned and breaks up the bookshelves nicely. If you wanted to use #5 or the Hood Pendant (from your comments) in a series of 3 hanging from various lengths, that would be lovely–especially since you liked the multi-globe look. (Shown on various looks on Rejuvenation link… http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/hood/configurations/old-brass-with-12in-opal-shade

November 16, 2015 at 10:15 pm

I do like the cluster of three in their photos, but I want something that will work with the ceiling medallions.

Anna
    November 17, 2015 at 12:24 am

I love number 1.. but that price, eek! Number 2 or number 5 are my next picks.

Nicole
    November 17, 2015 at 1:37 am

I really think that number 5 works the best in the space and 6 could also be a contender because the mass of white balances out the other elements in the room. Visually, the books take up a lot of space since there is no open space on the shelves and the colors are a bit chaotic and I think that some of the other lights have a hard time competing with this. The grain in the wood is also a bit distracting and you need the other elements to be simple, in contrast. I think that if you want to make the room more edgy, hang a piece of really modern/ graphic art. As much as I love that first lighting choice, it feels like the wrong space for it.

November 18, 2015 at 10:25 am

True. There’s a lot going on, and a lot of these will only add to it. It may be better to save the big! statement! lighting! for another spot.

Peggi
    November 17, 2015 at 5:50 am

I bet those pink tassels will make you smile every time you see them- priceless! As to the chandelier sitch, I actually love #4, but maybe not for this room. I do like the black that it adds. What about smoky glass replacement globes for the West Elm light? Maybe a little Lindsey Adelmanesque? So many choices…so much money! No wonder lighting is tough. Your amazing patience and exhaustive research will pay off. Can’t wait to see your ultimate choice.

November 18, 2015 at 10:27 am

I know — I’m secretly planning on maybe #4 for the closet? Gotta pass that one by Brandon. I don’t think he hates it, he just doesn’t want it for those two rooms.

Sarah @ onesuchlife
    November 17, 2015 at 8:51 am

I vote #3 if budget isn’t a concern or you can grab it on sale. The price of #4 is amazing, but I don’t think it fits the space well.

Andrea Jane
    November 17, 2015 at 9:24 am

I’m more a traditionalist so I’m drawn to #5 myself. I agree with the other poster that said the sputnikish ones may look dated in a few years. But then if you love that style who cares. Put up something low cost while you are saving up for the one you really want.

November 18, 2015 at 10:28 am

They will likely look dated, and I don’t think I love them enough to commit to the style. #1 may fall to the same fate, but I love it and wouldn’t care.

alice
    November 17, 2015 at 9:44 am

#5 has my vote. I feel as though when decorating a home, not every piece of furniture/light fixture/art piece/decor item has to be a statement. #5 feels like an updated version of something that could have been an original and doesn’t compete with the overall look of the room. The scones add some whimsy, the carpet has pattern, the books add texture and depending which way you go with additional furniture it could add up to be A LOT of look (and not in a good way). #1 is nice, BUT for a mid-century modern home.

November 18, 2015 at 10:32 am

I think you may be right (thanks). I’m going more in the direction of #5 now for the two rooms.

tracy
    November 17, 2015 at 9:50 am

Hi Nicole,

CB2 has this option that I ordered — still waiting for it to arrive but it might be fun in your library:

Kirsten
      November 17, 2015 at 11:17 am

I got this one too! I’m hoping that it looks good when it arrives!

November 18, 2015 at 10:22 am

That’s a great light. Too near the ceiling for my needs, but I hope you both like it when it arrives! I’d love to see.

Andrew
    November 17, 2015 at 11:14 am

Such great options! I put up a Modo knock off from Lightology up in our condo, and was so sad to leave it. It was still about 1,000 as I recall. In our new kitchen we just put up the small bistro chandelier from Circa (same one as RH, but cheaper with trade pricing from Circa) and we LOVE it. The small or medium one in black/brass/milk glass would look fabulous in that room depending how much height you have, and maybe not so fifties as the burst?

November 18, 2015 at 10:36 am

I saw that one too. I like it, but I don’t think it’s the right choice for me. I had to go find it in your place though because I didn’t remember seeing it, and it’s fantastic!

Tina slocum
    November 17, 2015 at 1:56 pm

#1 is the cat’s pajamas! It’s not symmetrical on each side, which makes it interesting. The chandy looks beautiful from a horizontal and vertical perspective. Total love!
    #6 is my second fav as it’s fun yet fits in with your decor.
    Both are beautiful, without being “staid” and traditional. You have a fun, young family and I love how you keep your home with that in mind.

Kim
    November 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I have the same tast in lighting as you! I own the Edison chandelier and the mobile one from West Elm. I’m favoring #2 because of the slight Victorian feel of the gooseneck and the brass finish will go with your new sconces and knobs. Plus it’s so reasonably priced they won’t kill your budget and will make a nice impact in the room. Splurge on new globes down the line but you could go with colored light bulbs for the evening ambiance or maybe find an opalescent spray paint for the globes, experiment on a small globe and try all kinds of different finishes. Just a thought. :)

Holly
    November 17, 2015 at 9:05 pm

#5 is my favorite!

Kathleen
    November 17, 2015 at 10:47 pm

The caviar cluster is on joss and main today

Miriam
    November 17, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Have you looked at some of the Jonathan Adler chandeliers?

November 18, 2015 at 10:20 am

Yes, and they’re gorgeous. I had a few JA flush mounts in the last house and they were great. I think all of his lighting is made by Robert Abbey.

erin @ thh
    November 18, 2015 at 6:50 am

#3 and #5 are my favorite…can’t wait to see what you end up putting in there!

Ally
    November 18, 2015 at 8:53 am

#1 of course! Ka-Ching.$$$

Alison
    November 18, 2015 at 10:29 am

I really don’t like #4. I am also not a fan of #1. I like 2, 3 and 6. Number 5 is OK, but I don’t see it as your style. It is a little too traditional/stodgy.

November 18, 2015 at 10:37 am

But there’s something I like about working within a traditional shell and bringing in fun colors/patterns/etc. around it.

Erica
    November 18, 2015 at 11:15 am

Well, I love #1. It’s big, and it is a statement, but it’s somehow calming to me and to me and I don’t think it competes with the books and other things in the room. If there are two in the room, maybe you can find a smaller complementary one.

I totally feel ya wanting these lights though. I’m also the person who looked for 5 years for an entryway light, and I’m glad I waited cause I found the perfect one that was in my head.

On the other hand, I also loved a $10,000 chandelier for my dining room and finally forced myself to just back away, that was insane!!

For a totally different look, here’s one I like that comes in a few sizes:

I am sad because all my lighting is done now. Thanks for giving me a fun project to think about!

Erica
    November 18, 2015 at 11:18 am

PS there is also this place in Chicago that does custom, prices don’t seem to be so bad:

Ellen
    November 18, 2015 at 11:35 am

I like #1 and #5, but once you said there were two, I’m leaning more to #5. I think #5 will repeat better. I also think you could find something similar to #5 at a slightly lower price. Have you looked at Restoration Hardware? This one is on sale for $619: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod6430233&categoryId=cat3850076

They also have a collection of milk glass pendants at a similar price: https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2680101&categoryId=cat3850076

#1 is stunning and I know that it is quality and gorgeous having seen it in person but unfortunately the cost reflects that!

Jodi
    November 18, 2015 at 3:51 pm

#1 looks so amazing!!! start a savings fund!

Mirela
    November 18, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I agree, the Roll & Hill’s Modo Chandelier looks amazing! But maybe rather over the dining room table…just thinking. What about the Mobile or the Waterfall chandelier from Westelm?…again, just thinking…Good luck!

Stephanie
    November 19, 2015 at 6:02 am

I’m typically all about the mix, but something about #5 really speaks to me in this case. I think it’s traditional but not so much as to be boring. It holds its own yet doesn’t compete with some of the other more modern things you’ve done. And the bookshelves are pretty busy and the pendant is fairly simple, so it works against that backdrop.

Christine Hart
    November 19, 2015 at 6:39 am

Possini Euro Design Glass Sphere 15-Light Pendant Chandelier at Lampsplus.

Erica
    November 20, 2015 at 8:33 am

One more…from Noir, maybe you can get discount pricing direct, this is retail for $885.

lauren
    November 20, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Hello!

I love Roll & Hills Chandelier, you are right it is so perfect but that price is a little much…I have seen a very similar one for a cheaper price here: http://www.shopcandelabra.com/candelabra-home-celestianna-chandelier

Just thought I would point it out!!

Erin
    November 20, 2015 at 2:34 pm

This Etsy shop is quite reasonably priced & has a few fixtures along those lines! Looks like they do custom work, too.

Andrea
    November 20, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Did you look at the Staaggered Glass Chandelier from West Elm?

• 1 2