Yes, I want all three. They would look great in my living room! Or in my office. Or upstairs. Or maybe in the new studio.
I have a great giveaway for you today (sponsored by Windows Phone 7), but more on that in just a bit. First I want to share a little project with you.
- paper (can be new, or can come from magazines/catalogs)
- ribbon (grosgrain works nicely)
- ruler or drafting triangle (optional — see the second step for clarification)
- decorative edged scissors (optional)
- glue (plain Elmer’s is fine)
- sewing machine or needle and thread (optional)
- Determine how long your garland will be and cut the appropriate length of ribbon (mine is nine feet long). Be sure to leave some extra length to hang down on the ends or to tie into bows.
- Cut a triangle out of paper to use as a template. The sides on mine were seven inches long. You don’t have to measure, but a ruler is helpful for making straight lines. I used a drafting triangle, but that is totally unnecessary unless you are persnickety about making true equilateral triangles (*ahem*).
- Trace your template onto different papers to make as many triangles as you need. I cut nine triangles from catalogs and nine from pink card stock.
- Figure out which triangles are going to be the top layer (the patterned ones in my case), and mark off the top one inch from each. Fold it along the line and snip off the little ends that stick out.
- Line up each smaller triangle with a larger one and glue them together along the top to make your flags.
- After I made mine, I decided that they would look even better with a decorative edge so I used my pinking shears. You can leave them plain though, or even draw on a border (dots would be cute).
- Glue or sew your completed triangles to your ribbon, remembering to leave some length along the ends to hang.
And that’s how I made a recycled paper bunting using items from around the house, doing more with less. Speaking of which…
Windows Phone 7 Giveaway
The new Windows Phones are helping people Do More with Less, and I have one to give away to you! You can enter to win by leaving a comment on this post. One entry per person, per day, until November 29. Please see the official rules for more details.
This giveaway is brought to you by the new Windows Phone 7. Less tech tired. More tech trendy: Learn more about Windows Phone online and see it in person at local T-Mobile stores today.
* 11.30.10: Congratulations to the winner, TracyCK!