- Note to self: this is an excellent possible tattoo location (though I fear that may be a painful spot).
- You know, I use to draw my outfits all the time. This makes me think I should start again.
- These travel documenting diptychs are so smart, and beautiful. (via sfgirlbybay)
- A clever and adorable laundry bag? It exists.
- I think I need to give up on the slipcover idea for my office chair (not that I’ve been working on it lately anyway), and just reupholster it instead. Look at how well these chairs turned out!
- You know how sometimes people take a bunch of mismatched items and then paint them in a unifying color to make them all work together? I am a fan of that.
- Here’s a labor-intensive but lovely gift wrapping idea.
- Pink, pink, lots of pink.
You remember the lovely bedroom redesign that I did with the help of Membership Reward Points from American Express, yes? Well now I am working with them again to host a Twitter Chat with HGTV designer John Gidding. John will be giving tons of advice next Thursday on how to decorate and find creative ways to stretch your budget — just like I did using my points.
John and I will be on Twitter for one hour on Thursday, July 29 at 8:30p.m. EST/ 5:30 p.m. PST (search #AmexHome). John will be answering your home design questions about anything from creating amazing guest spaces to choosing the right colors for your home. He’ll also have plenty of inexpensive ways to get your home ready for sale and ideas for upgrading rooms on a tight budget.
Now, you may have noticed the whole HUGE giveaway thing we’ve got going on here…
How do you enter to win?
Comment on this post with your questions for John and we’ll discuss some of them during our Twitter Chat. By leaving a comment, you’ll be entered to win items like a KitchenAid mixer, a Bissell vacuum, or a set of Cuisinart cookware (all of which can be bought with Membership Rewards points). There will be ten winners in this giveaway! Here are the prizes:
- Cuisinart® 10-Piece Commercial Cookware Set
- Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler
- Krups FBC2 6-slice Convection Toaster Oven
- All-Clad 6.5 Quart Stainless Slow Cooker with Ceramic Insert
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer with Attachment Pack ( Empire Red)
- Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Block Set
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- DeLonghi Esclusivo Magnifica Super Automatic Machine
- Viking® Professional Digital Hand Mixer
- Le Creuset® 7.25 Quart Round French Oven
(All of these items are available on membershiprewards.com.)
This giveaway is open to US residents only, one entry per person. Ten winners will be randomly chosen on July 30 to win one prize each. International readers are welcome to participate in the Twitter Chat and submit questions, but are not eligible to win. Remember you can ask anything about design and home improvements — this is a fun chance to get advice from an HGTV designer!
I know many of you are following me on Twitter @makingitlovely, but you can also follow John @JohnGidding. If you want to get some ideas for home improvement immediately, go to membershiprewards.com/home. And be sure to follow along to #AmexHome with John and I on Twitter next Thursday.
* Update *
Thanks for joining us for the Twitter chat, everybody! Comments (and therefore entries) are now closed. Congratulations to the ten winners: Aimee (aimeeroo), Mim (mimsfam), LeeAnn (leeannhuber), Sara (naturemurph), Sarah (Sarahquail110), Cara, (cara.andersen), Suzy (sayitaintsuzy), Sarah (Pooglit), Devon (devon.cook), and Kc (kcerveny).
It’s hard to tell, but one of those bookshelves was already there along the back of the closet. I put it against the right side instead and brought up one more from the basement. All of my copies of Lucky and Blueprint (along with a few other magazines and catalogs) fit along one shelf.
Winter gloves, hats, and scarves are in the pink box on top of the bookshelf. There are also hooks above the shelves to hang a few things.
I gathered my many IKEA shopping bags into one big bag (the red one), and corralled the rolls of vintage wallpaper into a big plastic container. The green and white bag holds some random decorative knickknacks.
The coats are still hung along the left wall, along with my wedding dress at the back.
The end result isn’t as pretty as my bedroom closet, but it’s so much better than it was. I didn’t spend any money either, though I would have liked to have all new, coordinating storage boxes. Some day I do plan to replace that bare light bulb, but that can wait for now.
Have you tackled any similar projects lately (or are you going to now)? It’s not fun while you’re in the middle of working, but it’s so nice when you’re done!