19 May 8, 2007

Above the Sofa?

The wall above my sofa has nothing on it. I’m tired of being greeted by a big, blank expanse every time I walk into the room!

Living Room
Any ideas?

I had a huge mirror above it at the old apartment, but I’m looking for something different this time.

sofa, lamps
(in the old apartment)

I’m open to suggestions!

May 8, 2007 at 12:27 pm

A nice sized painting would look lovely over your sofa.

May 8, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Something like this would be pretty:

May 8, 2007 at 3:26 pm

i bought one sheet of the french dot wallpaper from namarococo.com and i had it framed. i don’t know much about art but i love the colors and just looking at it makes me smile. :)

oh and i love your site and what you’re doing to your house!! we just moved too (a month ago) so i get inspired when i see your site. :)

question: where did you get your throw pillows? i need to get some new ones and am having a hard time. don’t wanna spend too much, you know?

May 8, 2007 at 5:35 pm

what about some kind of print grouping? it would be different in feel than one large item.

Donna Vitan
    May 8, 2007 at 7:31 pm

Whatever artwork you go with, I think you should get a really large piece, much larger than your mirror.

And if you do a grouping, make it much bigger. You definitely have the space and I don’t think you should be limited to having a tight cluster above the sofa.

Your place is looking so beautiful. Keep it up.

Making it Lovely
    May 9, 2007 at 8:48 am

Jiye, the pillows came from different places over time… Anthropologie, Thomas Paul, west elm, and the embroidered Serge Gainsbourg pillow was a one-of-a-kind from Drink + Dream. I have a bit of a weakness for pretty pillows (and I spend accordingly)!

May 9, 2007 at 6:57 am

Oooh, just saw the art on paper-cloud.com is 50% off! You could get a bunch of them!

May 9, 2007 at 9:43 am

LOVE your coffee table — where did you find it?

May 9, 2007 at 4:40 pm

I hope this doesn’t sound like a weird idea, but I saw a posting on Apartment Therapy Chicago where someone stapled beautiful flocked wrapping paper over a canvas frame and had that tacked to her wall. It was a black/white design that looked really sumptuous.

I agree that size matters in this case.

Kitty Von Bang
    May 10, 2007 at 9:45 am

Some large piece of fabric or a beautifull shower curtain streched over a frame?

behaving nicely
    May 10, 2007 at 12:59 pm

Marimekko wall hanging from textile arts?

the butterfly collector
    May 10, 2007 at 5:12 pm

Get a large cheap artists canvas and pick out some gorgeous fabric and staple it onto the frame! It looks great! P.S Love Pink and Brown!

May 11, 2007 at 5:48 am

Why, your new Amy Ruppel painting of course!

(hope you don’t mind me commenting, I’ve been a bit of a lurker on our blog for some time now…!)

Making it Lovely
    May 11, 2007 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, thank you, everyone! I’m still trying to figure out what I’ll do, but you’ve all given some really good ideas!

Leah, the coffee table was from Target (by Thomas O’Brien), but it’s not available anymore.

Oh, and I’m looking to put the Ruppel painting somewhere else. :)

June 21, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Finally, someone who has the problem that I have. We have yet to find a piece of art to place above the sofa (3 years). I can relate to your dilemma; it is so hard to decide because you really have to like it since you will be looking at it every day.

July 27, 2007 at 9:07 am

just found your blog. my taste is similar – I just purcahsed a painting off this artist – http://www.jessereno.com
    some of them are rather morbid – but the one I have is of birds and I love it.
    might look good in your place too.

Madge Helde
    January 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Grüss Dich! Toller Artikel, ich habe mir mal deinen Feed gebookmarkt.

January 23, 2013 at 10:00 am

Oh so love your sofa! Maybe you can put your family photo wall. That spot would be so lovely.

The Best Pink Lighting | Making it Lovely
    January 14, 2016 at 12:55 pm

[…] bought a pair of pale pink ceramic lamps a decade ago. I loved them, and then one of my kids pushed one off a table two years ago in an act […]