17 May 11, 2007

Maybe this one?

I know I should do something long and rectangular over the sofa, but what do you think about this?

(artist’s rendering, haha)

I’ve wanted it for the last year or so, and I’ve just ordered it. It’s 3’x3′, and it’s made of fabric (hand sewn!). It’s from Dream of Stars. I love it so much! If it looks odd in the living room, I’ll probably put it in the bedroom.

dennis
    May 11, 2007 at 11:55 am

i think a cluster of prints / photos / and/or art might be better than one single piece.

erin
    May 11, 2007 at 12:19 pm

i agree with dennis – make this the centerpiece of an asymmetrical grouping. it is so wonderful!

lsaspacey
    May 11, 2007 at 1:01 pm

I have one question. The fabric you brought a while ago for curtains? Where are those going to go? I think this print would look incredible where ever those will be. They have the same type of graphic style.

I just think the living room is too muted for that print, unless the Anthropologie orange chair is still in this room.

Melissa
    May 11, 2007 at 1:22 pm

That is so awesome! It might look cool with those little West Elm block shelves on either side, or something like that. They wouldn’t distract from the graphic but it would beef up the wall. That color is amazing.

Nicole
    May 11, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I know it’s not the best size… I think I just want it to work so badly because I love it so much!

The orange chair is still in the room (I was standing in front of it to take the photo). The curtain fabric is for my studio. It would look good in there too.

Valerie
    May 11, 2007 at 3:01 pm

hum… I would put something totally unexpected, like a vintage door, or window, or an old ladder with crackled paint… or maybe a rug (I love the ones made by Angela Adams)… can’t wait to see what you will choose!

Amy
    May 11, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Long and rectangular over the sofa is a little tired. A grouping of items, anchored by the large print, or even a pair of portrait-oriented frames would look nice. And there’s always the option of hanging things other than framed art, especially a grouping of found or repurposed objects.

Anonymous
    May 11, 2007 at 6:38 pm

This is adorable, and would look great in your home, but not in your living room. I disagree about a cluster of prints, would look to cluttered and you tend to have very simple lines. I like the suggestion about Angela Adams, I love her prints. Do her prints come stretched on canvas?

I think a rectangular painting would be great.

drey
    May 11, 2007 at 8:57 pm

hmm that space is crying out for a rectangular print really… that Dream fo Stairs artwork is gorgeous though (in another space?)

i also love that Amy Ruppel artwork! what about two 3 x 3 artwork instead of just one?

Audrey
    May 12, 2007 at 8:15 am

I like the artwork, but I agree with the others that it doesn’t quite work in that room. A grouping of art would be nice — I have a collection of my b/w photos in varying sizes over my couch. But I disagree that whatever you choose it has to be long and rectangular to mimic the couch. Above another couch in a different room, I have a very large (60″ x 60″) photo of mine framed. The large square shape works really well (actually the collection of photos in my living room takes up more of a square space rather than rectangular).

I’m sure you’re thinking of all of these things too — Do you plan on painting the walls or leaving them white? How high is the ceiling? Do you cover the rail or work in the space below it?

Nicole
    May 12, 2007 at 8:55 am

The picture rail is 7-1/2 ft. up, and the ceilings are at 9 ft. I’m going to paint, but the color will still be light (probably “Wild Aster” by Benjamin Moore – a pinkish taupey color). And I’d like to stay below the picture rail.

Hmmm….

Peggy
    May 12, 2007 at 2:51 pm

This is so cute, and I am sure you can use it, just not there. Where is your fab collection of white pottery from your apartment? I was thinking you could hang a floating shelf (or two). I think West Elm sells them. Then you can prop a painting or print and flank it with white pottery on either side. The neat thing about the shelf is then the art can be changed very easily on a whim or when your mood changes.

I love your blog, and like everyone else, I can’t wait to see the final result.

Audrey
    May 13, 2007 at 6:26 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Peggy. Either shelves or boxes to show off pottery or vases. Or, you could paint a mural of your own design. Or…final thought…you could still consider a mirror, but something different than what you had. Crate and Barrel sells a beautiful starburst mirror and something called the DuBois mirror (a 20″ antique square) that would look really elegant when used as a collection of 4 (2 over 2). Good luck!

Anonymous
    May 15, 2007 at 7:27 am

omigosh – so many choices. I love the idea of the starburst mirror. Did you see the one at West Elm? I was wondering the same thing. Where is your ceramic collection?

Anonymous
    June 20, 2007 at 10:10 pm

i love that print! where did you get it? i checked the dream of stars website (and the etsy shop), but it only comes in smaller sizes.

Nicole
    June 21, 2007 at 8:28 am

It’s still available on their website. You have to look at the third column across when on their order page (http://dreamofstars.com/order.html) for the 3’x3′ size.