Bathroom Redo (Renderings)

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I’ve narrowed the choices down to just two: the Zinnia Shower Curtain and the Graphic Fabric Shower Curtain.

I’ve made some mock-ups in Photoshop, and you can view larger versions of everything on flickr. Oh, and it may be hard to tell – that’s dark brown (not black) in the first few options.

bathroom redo choices

What do you think?

85 Responses to “Bathroom Redo (Renderings)”

1. sherri July 12, 2007 at 12:00 pm #

#2 – no contest.

2. Veronica July 12, 2007 at 12:21 pm #

2, 4, or 6

3. Susan July 12, 2007 at 1:40 pm #

One or Three…
    To me, you need to pick an odd. The even number mock-ups don’t tie the countertop in at all. The odd numbers looked at those it was meant like that all along.

4. Anonymous July 12, 2007 at 1:42 pm #

#2 or #6 – ALL of your mockups look fantastic!

5. girl meets glamour July 12, 2007 at 2:24 pm #

# 2 or 6 is what I’m leaning towards, love the wall color…and these mock ups too :)

6. Arianne July 12, 2007 at 2:45 pm #

i think the dark brown mirror and vanity are a must, so among those #2 or #3 are pretty awesome. :)

7. Anonymous July 12, 2007 at 3:52 pm #

definitely number 4!

by the way,i love reading your blog. it gives me tons of ideas. who knows if they’ll ever happen, i’m still stuck renting :(

8. Mary July 12, 2007 at 3:59 pm #

Please – for all that is good and holy – do NOT paint the vanity blue! Please! Just resist it! There is absolutely no need to be that matchy-matchy. It will also cause your friends to question your sanity if you embrace the turquoise to that degree.

I’m leaning towards 5 & 6 just because I like bright white cabinetry in my bathrooms. I would choose #5 if the wall color was warmer, but all in all I think #6 is the winner.

And by the way, I’m sure that I saw on some DIY show that there is a product out there that allows you to PAINT TILES! So maybe you can do something about that horrific tub surround, afterall. :)

9. Anna July 12, 2007 at 4:08 pm #

Hi. I like 2 or 6 too. Funny because I thought I liked the other shower curtain.

10. Anonymous July 12, 2007 at 5:43 pm #

8!

11. paola July 12, 2007 at 6:09 pm #

4 definitely. Contemporary and relaxing, makes best use of the toilet and has the nicest shower curtain.

You are also a photoshop genius. Do you use some sort of program?

12. sarah * July 12, 2007 at 7:15 pm #

5! I think the white goes best with the toilet & I like it paired with the warmer tones in that shower curtain.

13. Donna July 12, 2007 at 7:28 pm #

#6 looks best, imho! Good luck and can’t wait to see the results.

I love your library too!

14. Anonymous July 12, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

I like 4– it seems more modern and clean. 6 seems a little country to me.

15. Monica Yvette July 12, 2007 at 8:57 pm #

I like #3, but what really matters is what you like right? So many choices. I see your dilemma here.

16. Anonymous July 12, 2007 at 9:11 pm #

#4, definitely #4!

17. lauren July 12, 2007 at 10:29 pm #

I like 5; the contrast of warm shower curtain –> neutral white cabinet –> cool-colored toilet pleases me.

18. Marion July 13, 2007 at 7:47 am #

Definitely #5 !

19. Nicole | Making it Lovely July 13, 2007 at 8:28 am #

WOW!! I’m still not 100% sure, but everyone has helped me narrow it down. I’ll post again with the version I choose.

Let me answer a few questions that came up though…

=========================

* Alissa: I don’t have a specific paint color in mind yet – that color was just what I came up with in Photoshop.

* lsaspacey: I’ll be painting the wood, even if I go with the dark brown. The wood is in terrible condition and I think paint will best freshen it up.

* Anon: The “Good, Clean, Fun” towels were from Target’s Swell line a few years ago. I should look for those again (I know they’re around here somewhere)!

* Valerie: Yep, they’re cupcakes! I’ve been wanting them for a while now, and I figured they would be cute little storage in the bathroom.

* Mary: I think I’ve seen some stuff that will paint over tiles too. I just don’t know if I want to put that much effort into what will (hopefully) be a temporary fix!

* paola: Thanks. I just use Photoshop.

=========================

Thank you, everyone!

xoxo,
    n.

20. Kate July 13, 2007 at 1:52 pm #

I like #4 the best. The blue wall mellows the toilet color and the shower curtain with the dark vanity and mirror is very calming. I dig calming bathrooms. The best for long, relaxing baths.

21. Tonia Conger July 13, 2007 at 3:24 pm #

SIX!

22. Vivian Cheng July 13, 2007 at 3:48 pm #

I like 2, 4 and 6. But as every designer’s nightmare, my potato-head suggestion would be white cabinets with the wall colour from #4. ;)

Lovely work all around though!

23. abethh July 15, 2007 at 7:13 am #

2 pulls everything together and makes the blue toilet/tub go away…

it’s so neat that you did those mock-ups.

such a talented girl…she caulks, she hammers, she makes pretty pictures.

Go for 2!!

24. Sarah July 15, 2007 at 10:53 am #

Oh Boy,,,,i totally think Number 2 is the winner. To me it comes across as fresh and sophisticated and modern without being too cute. The colors are serene and calming….kinda spa-like.

25. Erin Frost July 15, 2007 at 3:34 pm #

GO FOR #7! Unfortunately, I have your bathroom. But we have the matching turquoise sink as a bonus (wll send pictures if you need some emotional support). The toilet will always be a crazy beacon of turquoise unless you tame it and balance out the room a bit. I bought the zinnia curtain, bathmats and towels to just take it over the top. But your more restained version works.

26. The Paris Apartment July 15, 2007 at 6:30 pm #

i love #4…what a great idea and to photoshop and play with it like that…where have i been??

27. Francy July 15, 2007 at 10:07 pm #

4 or 8

28. Ana July 16, 2007 at 6:10 am #

2 and 4, I think those combinations really play down the sink color.

29. Kaelinsaurus July 16, 2007 at 7:31 am #

Definitely #4. I like the dark brown cabinets best.

30. stacymae@excite.com July 27, 2007 at 12:04 pm #

I love #1!!

31. Jenn Ski July 28, 2007 at 10:57 am #

#6!

32. Tallulah Jean August 14, 2007 at 10:05 am #

I have a question about your mad Photoshop skillz when doing these renderings. I also use Photoshop when I’m considering a decorating change and generally do an okay job, except when I’m changing the color of something, especially walls. I can never manage it in a way that that looks realistic–my efforts are always at odds with the lighting of the picture or something, and it never looks natural.

What I usually have tried is making a selection of the part I want to change and putting a color overlay it, then bringing down the opacity till I can see the details of the object through it–but doing that always changes the color till it’s not what I wanted. Your renderings look so nice and clean and realistic in comparison! What method do you use for coloring?

33. Anne September 8, 2007 at 1:11 pm #

I really like the white cupboard- so fresh!- would like to paint my kitchen cupboards but have been discouraged by contractors. Is there a certain paint and finish you would recommend? Did you sand and prime first?

34. Nicole | Making it Lovely September 8, 2007 at 5:19 pm #

Tallulah Jean, I use the color replacement brush, then play around with the dodge and burn tools.

Anne, we did sand and prime first, and used a semi-gloss finish. The glossier the paint, the more mistakes will show, so try to have a smooth surface to start with, and then paint in smooth even strokes. Good luck!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Blue Bathroom, Finished! - April 18, 2010

[…] yeah. I went with option #6, with the white vanity (Bathroom Redo [Renderings]). I was going to go for option #2 with the dark brown, but I changed my mind once we switched to […]