16 July 23, 2007

Bigger Than a Breadbox?

No, exactly the same size! Ba dum bum.

There was a breadbox in the kitchen at the family lake house, and I really liked it. When we returned home, I started searching on eBay for something similar. I lost the first one that I bid on (it ended up going for $125!), but I won the second.

My New (Old) Breadbox

The green picks up on the green of our cabinet knobs. I love that our breadbox is vintage, but there are plenty of new breadboxes to choose from too (with a vintage look)…

I really like the Buick Red Bread Bin from Anthropologie.

I’ve also seen it in white and shocking pink (yum!).

I would love to see this in a kitchen with sparkly red vinyl chairs, a boomerang laminate tabletop, counters with chrome trim, a Nelson Ball Clock, cherry fabric for curtains, and a vintage-style apron.

Next is the lovely, soft green Vintage Bread Bin Box from Ballard Designs.

I imagine it in a kitchen with creamy white cabinets, jade milk glass knobs, striped cafe curtains, feminine switchplates, mismatched ivory plates on the walls, and a big, old farmhouse table.

And then there’s the Classic Enameled Breadbox from The Vermont Country Store.

I think they got the gingham in the photo just right. A breadbox like that belongs in a vintage Americana kitchen… cute red gingham curtains, distressed metal sign (or letters), a vintage floral tablecloth, rooster juice glasses (I wish I knew what happened to my Grandma’s similar glasses), and a white cake stand (with apple pie on top, of course).

Making it Lovely
    July 23, 2007 at 3:53 pm

I sure hope it’s functional! I don’t know… I’ve never had a breadbox before. I guess I’ll find out soon enough, eh? ;)

July 23, 2007 at 3:49 pm

i love your breadbox! but are breadboxes truly functional?i bought a stainless steel breadbox from wm sonoma a while ago, and it kept the bread so moist that it got moldy really fast. after that i kept bread in a basket on the counter—it was kind of ugly, frankly, because we have a lot of bread. then we moved to our current house. one of the under-counter drawers in the kitchen is lined in tin and it works–bread doesn’t harden like a rock and doesn’t turn green in days either. it’s the only thing worth salvaging when we demo the kitchen!

July 23, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Just curious…how would you finish my kitchen?

Making it Lovely
    July 23, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Donna, I was thinking of your chrome edged counters when I wrote that!

And Julieta, your kitchen already looks good. Hmmm…

July 23, 2007 at 6:55 pm

I love that red breadbox. It would look so awesome in my kitchen.

July 23, 2007 at 7:43 pm

Yours is totally the best! I wish I could have one. It’s too moist where we live. =(

July 23, 2007 at 7:54 pm

I’ve got one of those off eBay too! But in turquoise….

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever bought off eBay – a great size and keeps bread for about a week here in the Pacific Northwest.

July 24, 2007 at 6:25 am

what are you putting in for the ebay search to get these gorgeous enamel breadboxes?

Making it Lovely
    July 24, 2007 at 8:19 am

Just “breadbox” or “bread box” (and then looking through everything that comes up)! You could try adding “European” or “enamel” too, for one like mine. Here’s a red/orange one: Dutch Enamel Bread Box.

Making it Lovely
    July 24, 2007 at 8:21 am

…or just check listings from roodmeisje.

July 24, 2007 at 9:18 am

In response to Adrienne’s comment…I read recently (don’t recall where) that breadboxes promote the growth of mold because they’re dark. It could still look really cute to have on the counter and you could use it to store something else!

July 24, 2007 at 12:22 pm

I use my current bread box as a spice rack, away from heat and light

August 11, 2007 at 10:31 am

I’m “stealing” your description of the kitchen with the jade knobs – it sounds perfect!

January 31, 2008 at 10:23 pm

i am sitting on that exact red sparkly vinyl chair right now. i love it, but i’ll tell you one thing…a great desk chair it is not. :)

March 2, 2008 at 10:53 am

Lovely website! I’m looking for a bread box also. I love vintage everything, just won a vintage light shade, and am bidding on another. Ebay has furnished much of my kitchen decor; love Pyrex, Fireking, have some gorgeous Bark Cloth drapes ($18.00!). My best find. I have lots of cobalt, Franciscan dishes, and Noritake, DeeLee dolls. I hope to find the perfect bread box, I’ll know it when I see it!

August 19, 2009 at 1:02 am

i love that breadbox….i looked on ebay and didn’t see one. what description would/did you use to find it???

tara doherty