Christmas Wrapping

I love wrapping gifts. Naturally you want to choose a gift that you think will delight the recipient, so why shouldn’t the presentation have the same effect?

Each year I choose a theme for my Christmas wrapping. Actually, I hesitate to use the word “theme” here, because I always think of theme rooms (Jungle safari! Circus! Beachy/nautical/seashells aplenty!). What I mean to say is that I am my own art director. Yes, hello – I am persnickety.

Anyway. This year’s “theme” was metallic and pink. I’m using silver, copper, bronze, and gold wrapping papers (from Target and IKEA), and various silver, bronze, and pink ribbons.

Ribbon

Wrapping Paper

The gift tags I made are simple, but with enough possible combinations to make them interesting. First, the necessary tools…

Gift Tag Supplies

I have a very heavy-duty circle punch (the big black thing), but any craft punch would work. I also used a couple of Sharpies, a pencil, scissors, a hole punch, decorative scissors (for children, judging by the brightly colored plastic), and scraps of pretty paper.

I started by punching out circles in my shimmery stardream papers. I then used the leftover scraps to trace onto my other papers, and cut out a slightly smaller circle with my decorative scissors.

After making many circles, you can put the gift tags together in different color combinations, punch a hole, and you’re done.

Hole Punch

Gift Tags

The gift tags are the most labor-intensive part of the wrapping process, but they’re actually pretty easy. Once they were finished, I just mixed and matched everything. Choose a paper, choose a ribbon (extra points for off-center placement and criss-crossing!), add the gift tag, and that’s it.

Jessica's gifts

Don’t they look nice when they’re grouped together?

Christmas Gifts

49 Responses to “Christmas Wrapping”

1. Kay* December 18, 2007 at 12:18 pm #

Gosh your gifts look fantastic! And I thought I did a good job – I clearly need to step it up a notch… :)

2. Princess of Power December 18, 2007 at 1:10 pm #

Can I tell you that I both hate and love you. Ha! The gifts are wrapped gorgeously!

3. Valerie December 18, 2007 at 1:24 pm #

Lovely! I’ve also been doing the «obi» thing (in your mom gift) with recycled kraft paper. On the downside, my family tend to not want to ripped the nice gift wrapping when I make it look so nice! Except for my 3 year old nephew; he just doesn’t care about the gift wrap! Happy Holidays!

4. Anna van Schurman December 18, 2007 at 2:10 pm #

I was told presents brought to my sister’s house must be wrapped in red or silver. Damn you, theme women!

5. lfw1031 December 18, 2007 at 2:39 pm #

Thanx, Nicole!

Those combos are gor-JUSS! And your tags are a work of art.

6. Making it Lovely December 18, 2007 at 2:55 pm #

Anna – I don’t go that far at least! ;)

7. Zanne December 18, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Beautiful. It makes me feel I need to pay more attention to giftwrapping!

8. miss.supafly December 18, 2007 at 3:06 pm #

These are so lovely and personal. I really enjoy non-conventional wrapping this time of year.

9. raya December 18, 2007 at 3:06 pm #

So beautiful! I have been trying to think of my “theme” for this year. I think it might be “whatever I have in the wrapping bucket” + some baker’s twine..I just have so much Christmas paper from years past I feel bad buying more. But for me the wrapping is half the gift – I’m sure everyone will be so happy to receive these from you ; )

10. dottie December 18, 2007 at 4:55 pm #

i just love your blog! it’s inspiring, you have wonderful taste.

11. Adriana December 18, 2007 at 5:36 pm #

oohh so pretty! I love the “theme” idea… and your circle puncher! I’ve been searching for a good one! If you dont mind telling me where to look… :D

12. Renee December 18, 2007 at 6:22 pm #

Absolutely fabulous darling!

13. Amanda December 18, 2007 at 7:14 pm #

They look amazing!!!

14. drey December 18, 2007 at 8:38 pm #

hey where did you get your heavy duty circle punch? The ones I’ve come across don’t do the work on cardboard/thicker paper… can you share your secret? ;)

Btw, I LOVE your wrapping work!

15. Making it Lovely December 18, 2007 at 9:24 pm #

Thanks, everyone!

My circle punch is from American Button Machines. They run $160-$350 though. I bought mine when I bought my button machine.

16. pozzynette December 19, 2007 at 12:26 am #

very very nice !!!!

17. perfect bound December 19, 2007 at 6:36 am #

Brilliant. I would have to think long and hard before I opened a present like this. What could possibly be better than the gift wrap itself? Are they empty? I wouldn’t blame you. P.S. Who needs Blueprint when we have you?

18. Anonymous December 19, 2007 at 11:00 am #

They’re totally gorgeous. But you are clearly so creative I would think you could come up with some rocking ideas for more ecologically friendly gift wrapping! I always feel guilty about the waste involved with the wrapping paper. I have a friend who has sent me gifts wrapped awesomely in festive xmas dish towels tied with raffia and with evergreen or dried flowers tucked in the bow which I can’t seem to duplicate in as attractive a manner.
    any other ideas? a crafty challenge for you next year maybe?

19. Raven December 19, 2007 at 4:03 pm #

That is exactly how I would love to wrap my gifts. Alas I have run out of time again. I still have time for ribbons though as I save those for last because of my dogs.

So lovely.

20. drey December 19, 2007 at 4:05 pm #

yeah i actually thought about being ecologically friendly as well.. my in laws recycle their wrapping paper every year (until it gets given to someone who rips it apart)… forces the no-theme-no-fancy thing happening…

21. Nicole R.J. December 20, 2007 at 6:46 am #

So pretty! I love doing a theme with my wrapping, and I love that yours is not following the traditional Christmas colours!

I’m definitely going to try your criss-cross ribbons next year :)

22. casacaudill December 20, 2007 at 12:11 pm #

i bow down to your creative skills. i gave up with the themed wrapping when my husband insisted i had to use up all of the leftover paper from years past.

- casacaudill

23. Making it Lovely December 20, 2007 at 12:16 pm #

The good thing about using paper that doesn’t scream Christmas is that you can use it for other occasions too.

And yes, I suppose my gift wrap is a little excessive (and therefore not the most eco-friendly). Leah at Uplifting Arts has a nice wrapping option: eco gift wrap.

24. CastoCreations December 20, 2007 at 1:05 pm #

Oh good grief. I am now officially depressed. I thought my gifts were wrapped nicely.

I love love love wrapping paper. This year I have pink and lime green purse themed Christmas paper and I LOVE it. Yes it’s not “traditional” (which I usually am) but it’s so fun.

Your gifts look amazing. I wouldn’t even want to open them! :)

25. julie (jane's apron) December 21, 2007 at 8:15 am #

very nice “theme”…love the colors.

26. Mary December 21, 2007 at 9:00 am #

beautiful! I’m so jealous… I can’t use ribbon anymore. My cat eats it. Then the litter box is all sparkly… LOL

27. DawnMarie December 21, 2007 at 6:11 pm #

When I close my eyes this is what I want my gifts to look like. Then I open my eyes and see the gifts I wrapped that look like a 5 year old did them. Seriously, give me a gift that loks like this……it could have dental floss inside and I would be happy.

28. M&Co December 21, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

Your gift wrapping is so gorgeuse!!

29. elizabeth @ elizabeth anne designs December 28, 2007 at 9:54 pm #

these look great! i love the pinks with the metallics!

30. becky January 9, 2008 at 3:28 pm #

oh my gosh, martha’s got nothing on you!!!!

31. Emily September 27, 2008 at 1:34 pm #

I remembered this style idea when wrapping gifts for a friend’s twins’ fourth birthday and came back to get a good look. I think the little girls will like it because they’ll be able to recognize their own initials and pick out which gifts are theirs.

It would also be great for my family at Christmastime. We have a tradition of writing ‘clues’ on our tags, and there is plenty of room on the back of the circle for writing very complex and challenging hints!

32. Becky W September 30, 2008 at 8:58 am #

Hello… Your presents look Gr888..!!!
    Can you give me any websites where i can buy some decent wrapping paper for this year , i have looked everywhere i cant think of where else to go ?! Ta ..

33. Louise October 21, 2008 at 6:16 am #

Where did you get all of your wrapping paper from?

34. Paula January 4, 2009 at 2:00 pm #

Just wanted to say thank you for the lovely ideas! I took inspiration from your post, and here’s what I came up with:

Paula

35. patricia January 23, 2009 at 8:24 am #

I must tell you that I did these tags for my holiday wrap and they were such a hit. I am saving them from year to year. (for my family :)

36. Jaye (Harvest Furniture) October 14, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

Love the gift tag idea. We offer gift wrap in our home furnishing and decor store, and have been looking for ways to make our holiday packages unique. We will certainly consider this inexpensive DIY project in doing so! Thanks for the great ideas!

37. ashlina December 4, 2009 at 9:24 pm #

that is impressive wrapping! nice job

38. emilie December 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm #

absolutely beautiful!

39. Susan December 21, 2009 at 5:27 pm #

making it lovely indeed!

i am a total gift wrap lover. it is one of my favorite things about giving a present. the presentation – ha ha – of the present, to me, matters just as much as the actual present. both should delight and show the person just how much you really care. and i think your gifts certainly do that :)

40. Amy Jo March 28, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

Oh my stars!!! I thought I was the only one who themed my holidays!!

41. Milagros August 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Hola soy de Argentina!Me encantan tus diseños son muy hermosos y novedosos!! te felicito!!

42. Judi September 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

Do you know where I can purchase copper colored wrapping paper? I change colors every year and this year it’s the copper tree, but I am finding it harder and harder to find copper! I love theme trees!

1. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » Gift Tags - January 20, 2008

[...] spotted some lovely gift tags on flickr today by luziernaga. They were inspired by the ones I made for [...]

2. This weekend. The City Cradle - December 18, 2009

[...] have present wrapping on the brain and these beautiful pictures were quite [...]

3. Fab Finds: Six Great Blogs – A cool kitchen-finds blog - Kitchenisms - March 18, 2010

[...] transformation of her home since 2007, and intersperses that with posts on style, organization and general beautifying. Plus, she named her daughter Eleanor, so you know she’s got good taste [...]

4. Wrapping ideas | Atypical Type A - May 24, 2011

[...] Making It Lovely [...]

5. Gewoon Marieke » Wrapping on Wednesday #3 - February 29, 2012

[...] Klik hier/Click here. [...]

6. Free Printable Monogram Christmas Gift Tags | Making it Lovely - November 26, 2012

[...] and you’re welcome to download and print them for your gifts as well. I’ve done monogram gift tags before, but those were hand-drawn and I wanted to do a new twist on them this year.My years as a [...]

7. The Blog of a Sassy Pony - August 19, 2013

[…] and I took inspiration from a picture I saw on Pinterest, pinned from Nicole Balch’s Making it Lovely blog. I had a dig around at home, I didn’t buy anything special apart from a rather splendid piece […]