The Guest Room!

Painted, furnished, finished! For now, at least. There are still a few things I’d like to do, but they can definitely wait.

The Guest Room

The Guest Room

My poor friend Lili – she stayed in it back when it looked like this:

Guest Room

Lili, you must come again because now it looks like this:

The Guest Room

I moved the brackets for the curtain rod out 8″ on each side to make the window look bigger (and to better show off the pretty new Marimekko Lumimarja curtains). I’m so glad I didn’t get the other curtains I had been considering!

The paint color is “wheat bread” by Behr, the orange daybed was from CB2, and the lamp was from Pier 1. The rug was from Crate & Barrel. I originally bought it for the living room, but it was too small. I loved it too much to return it, so I kept it, figuring I could find another spot for it. I had it in my office for a little while, but the fluffy rug meant my chair couldn’t roll anymore. It all worked out though because I love it in the guest room.

I painted all of the wood white (primer plus two coats of semi-gloss “swiss coffee” by Behr). Brandon and I also replaced all of the baseboards. The room went from this:

guest room

To this:

The Guest Room

The other side of the room was particularly ugly (and strange):

guest room

I painted it all white but it still looked a little funny so I sewed some simple white curtains to close it off. Maybe we’ll figure something out for that space eventually.

The Guest Room

The pocket door still needs to be painted, and I’d like to paint the old dresser too.

The Guest Room

Yay – another room (mostly) finished!

The Guest Room

108 Responses to “The Guest Room!”

1. cotterpin March 28, 2008 at 12:20 pm #

too cute! I love the new curtains for the windows!

2. jodi March 28, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

lovely! it looks so cute & inviting.

3. my little apartment March 28, 2008 at 1:06 pm #

wow!! it looks really lovely, so much brighter and bigger-looking than before! i absolutely love the wall color and the fact that you went the extra mile to replace those old wimpy baseboards. it makes the room look so much more polished :)

your right, the rug is perfect in there and i think painting that dresser will really complete the room!

4. my little apartment March 28, 2008 at 1:07 pm #

eek, that should have been “you’re right”…sorry for the second post, poor grammar really bothers me ;)

have a great weekend!

5. beki March 28, 2008 at 1:08 pm #

The room is gorgeous! I absoultely LOVE those curtains and daybed. Fabulous!!

6. zee March 28, 2008 at 1:11 pm #

Oh Nicole, this is the perfect decoration for a small room. I’m sure any guests will be delighted with such a lovely room. Well done you!

7. AshleyM March 28, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

I love that room! The curtains are fantastic, as is the bed! I also like that you used a plain white fabric for the ‘simple curtains.’ It might have been too busy any other way. What an awesome guest room! Anyone will love to stay there!

8. Casey March 28, 2008 at 1:16 pm #

that looks so good. i really love your color palet, and how each room in your house flows nicely together. well done!

9. T.Kimberlyn March 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm #

I love the color scheme. The painting of the wood looks awesome! Great job….as usual : )

10. Skyzi March 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm #

The room looks fabulous! The curtain fabric in combination with setting it wider apart is genious!

11. Meg March 28, 2008 at 1:21 pm #

Wow! It really looks fabulous. I’m in love with the new curtains.

12. jaime March 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm #

Oh lordy – everything you touch turns to gold. how come you’re not in interior design???

13. Jules March 28, 2008 at 1:36 pm #

My goodness. You’ve outdone yourself this time, Nicole. This is by far my favorite room in your house. I want to marry that Marimekko fabric.

14. Gwen March 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

I notice the daybed – very original. Just in case you are looking for unusual size sheets for it (for when Lili comes over) I found a site that you might find helpful – ElegantLinensPC.com. They have hard to find bedding and great prices on discontinued items. Happy remodeling!

15. lillie March 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

it looks…lovely! that daybed is the perfect color, fit, and design! such a nice job renovating.
    PS i might keep the old dresser as it is. i like the contrast of the color/texture of the wood in the clean design of room!

16. janet March 28, 2008 at 3:15 pm #

I ADORE it! Wow, I am just so jealous. You make it all seem so easy!

17. Lisa March 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous!!

18. Peggy March 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm #

Lovely space! I am always so intrigued by your use of accessories. Each piece looks like it was meant for this room!

19. seven March 28, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

What a gorgeous room! It makes me want to redo my whole room.

20. emily abigail. March 28, 2008 at 3:59 pm #

Oh, wow! This space is fabulous. I am absolutely in love with those curtains. So many great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing!

21. Hooked on Houses March 28, 2008 at 4:02 pm #

Ooh, it’s gorgeous. You’ll have visitors lining up to stay there now! -Julia :-)

22. Ann Marie March 28, 2008 at 4:15 pm #

What a wonderful job you did! The curtains are fabulous and I love the daybed and rug. I have a curtain project myself that I’ll have to pass on when it’s finished.

23. Miss K March 28, 2008 at 4:23 pm #

What a fabulous place,it looked great before,even better now.

24. Helen March 28, 2008 at 5:00 pm #

oh gosh! love the color combination!

25. Kyle March 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm #

When you get around to painting the dresser, I would like to read about it.

26. Jill March 28, 2008 at 6:04 pm #

You did a fantastic job! It’s a lovely, soothing room. Sorry if I missed this, but where is that cute little black table from?

27. Joi March 28, 2008 at 6:41 pm #

Gorgeous!!! It looks wonderful!

Do you mind sharing where the bird art/print is from?

28. Hayley March 28, 2008 at 7:10 pm #

Hey it all looks amazing. The “Ugly” and “strange” area looks like a futon storage spot like what was in my old house in Tokyo, Japan. I used it to store my suitcase and spare blankets and futons, so thats what your guest could do (well not the futon part) It all looks amazing, and I love love love the curtains. I want something like that in my bedroom, but we already have so many other prints it will clash too much.

29. kate March 28, 2008 at 7:22 pm #

Hey, I’ve never commented to you before (just been a lurker) but this room is too pretty NOT to comment about! It looks like a luxe hotel room and any guest would be thrilled to stay in it!

30. Renee March 28, 2008 at 7:25 pm #

I love it! You do such great work ;)

31. Michelle March 28, 2008 at 8:01 pm #

Fabulous ! Love the little curtains………oh and the big ones too ! Fabulous !!

32. Kristen March 28, 2008 at 9:47 pm #

Wow!! What a beautiful and amazing transformation. I’m in the process of getting ready to move and you are giving me so many fabulous ideas! I’m keeping tabs on my blog about my process. Please check in and let me know if you have any suggestions.
    I’d be honored to get any feedback..I love your style!

33. drey March 28, 2008 at 11:03 pm #

it’s great how you’ve managed to ppull this off despite obvious shape-of-the-room constraints. i love the shapes of the vases and lamps… they really give the room a certain sexiness against the wall paint which makes the room so much brighter! nice. i love the curtains too :)

34. Carolin March 29, 2008 at 1:38 am #

I just love it! You’re the best!

35. patricia March 29, 2008 at 6:49 am #

love the transformation. great eye for color. room looks larger and brighter, yes, paint the chest in a high gloss, what about that red color or even mimic the print.
    for the curtain area, what about using the print or a stripe.
    you have such a good eye!

36. Michael March 29, 2008 at 8:00 am #

I like it…but I ilked it better before. (I hated to say that…but I just loved the mustard walls and the brown curtains)

37. kellie March 29, 2008 at 9:08 am #

so pretty! i love how it turned out- great job! your guests will love it.

38. Erica Burns March 29, 2008 at 9:11 am #

Nicole, this is clean and simple, yet I can see your attention to every detail. Another job well done!

39. amy purple March 29, 2008 at 12:17 pm #

i love those curtains!

40. lindsaywillman March 29, 2008 at 12:22 pm #

adorable!!

i love how it’s all pulled together.

is that couch pink or orange?? i love it though.

41. lsaspacey March 29, 2008 at 1:17 pm #

Perfect!

On and the weird space behind the curtains?

Seems perfect for Murray’s “special place” where he can get away from those “people” who are always touching him and talking baby talk in his direction. ;)

42. katiedid March 29, 2008 at 4:42 pm #

You did a wonderful job! Love the colors and the new draperies. Bravo!

43. Peachy Keen March 29, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

Its just gorgeous! What a beautiful room – any guest would love staying there!

44. rachel March 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm #

love your room… i want to divorce my husband and marry that long, skinny, black table with the lamp on it. if only i could :). can i ask where you got it? maybe i could save my marraige and get my own!

45. tab March 29, 2008 at 8:35 pm #

Oh how I love those curtains.

46. At Home with Kim Vallee March 29, 2008 at 9:28 pm #

You can be proud of what you accomplished. The room looks amazing. Now all your friends will wish to be invited for a stay in your guest room. You will not regret the Marimekko Lumimarja curtains.

47. Jodie March 29, 2008 at 10:04 pm #

Love it! The whole room looks fantastic. Can I ask where the table comes from, the chair as well. Just gorgeous!

48. sophie March 30, 2008 at 2:48 pm #

gorgeous !!! congratulations ! it looks so good now !

49. Shannon McDonough March 30, 2008 at 5:33 pm #

Seeing the Lubi Daybed in your guestroom (and knowing that you thought it a good enough piece to put in your own home) cemented my months-long decision to purchase one. CB2 and APT should give you a commission!

50. Katie March 30, 2008 at 6:38 pm #

Hi I’m a long time ‘stalker’ of your blog, but have never commented. I just wanted to say hi, i love your blog and your cute little bungalow!

this room has turned out amazing too! i especially love the corner with the table and chair and the lamp from pier one?
    it looks so great there.
    thanks for being so inspiring and making it lovely!

1. Welcome to Jail | Bonnie Van Voorst - May 17, 2008

[...] am highly envious of this guest room. I’m thinking of going with a white/ gray/ (something else) color scheme. Now all I need is [...]

2. bonnievanvoorst.com » Blog Archive » Guestroom Photos! - February 17, 2009

[...] loveliest guestroom I’ve seen ever (and is now fast becoming one of the cutest baby rooms) – go see it here, in Nicole’s house. Be sure you also check out her lucky baby’s room as it develops [...]

3. Picking Paint | littlehousebigplans - May 17, 2011

[...] And since we only have partialy painted walls at the moment, I did some googling for fully painted rooms and found this pretty pic here! [...]

4. A Little Inspiration, Please « Madison Square - June 16, 2011

[...] Nicole at Making it Lovely: http://makingitlovely.com/2008/03/28/the-guest-room/ [...]

5. The Guest Room « newfancyblog - August 6, 2011

[...] paint, and some tan carpet.  Then I went online for inspiration and was struck by the way that this room was transformed.  So I used it as my [...]

6. The Basement Studio and Playroom Plan | Making it Lovely - May 22, 2012

[...] värde was c/o IKEA, and we’ve had that orange daybed for years. It was originally in our short-lived guest room (now the nursery). It should be good on the playroom side of the basement, and I’m going to [...]

7. A Bed for August? | Making it Lovely - February 5, 2013

[...] Daybed. It’s what we had in the room before we turned it into a nursery, back when it was a guest bedroom. It’s as long as a twin bed, but only 32.5″ wide. Ours is orange, and currently sitting [...]

8. A Floor Plan for August’s Room | Making it Lovely - February 21, 2013

[...] a bed. We already have it because I bought it specifically for that space back when it was just a guest room, and I think it’s going to work well for us. It’s the same length as a twin-sized bed, [...]