66 September 15, 2008

Wellies

I’m in the market for a new pair of rain boots.

The Renegade Craft Fair was this weekend – this very wet and rainy weekend. I wore my pale pink Martha Stewart garden boots (I bought them years ago when Martha still had a mail-order catalog), but I think it’s time for a new pair. They’re pretty dirty by now, but I’ve actually never been all that thrilled with the color. The pink is so pale that they’re almost flesh colored, and a flesh colored rain boot silhouette on the leg isn’t exactly flattering.

Rain Boots

Right.

There are a ton of rain boots at Target (all for $25 or less), but they’re all mid-calf height. I want a knee-high pair, most likely in red. Maybe a pair of actual Hunter Wellingtons? They’re available here, here, and here.

Any other suggestions before I splurge on the Wellies?

kate (pm)
    September 16, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I have had my Hunter wellies for many years and love them! I recommend purchasing the flannel boot liners for the really cold weather. I live in NYC and with boot liners, so I get away with using those boots all through the winter. (If l lived in heavy snowfall area and/or in the country, then I would purchase real snow boots.)

Goody
    September 16, 2008 at 3:13 pm

i got some from payless..cute, pink, does the trick but i just got a link to this place in an email..

i love the

Olivia
    September 16, 2008 at 5:52 pm

Those rain boots hit at the widest part of the leg, which is extremely unflattering for most women. Order the Hunter Wellingtons a size down from what you normally would…they run large.

katie
    September 16, 2008 at 9:21 pm

have you ever poked around at boden? they have some very cute rain boots in their autumn catalog.

Katharina
    September 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm

I’ve been waffling back & forth for a while now on this very issue….I’d love to see a post on your final decision! I do love me some red boots, but I can’t tell from the website if the Hunter wellies are a true red, or that fishy, washed-out orangey red. Any thoughts?

robyn
    September 17, 2008 at 6:43 am

Haha, I also noted on my blog how every other girl at Renegade was wearing galoshes. It’s funny how for years and years I’ve searched ridiculously to find a pair of cute but affordable ones, and then bam, this season they’re everywhere.

Never teh Bride
    September 17, 2008 at 9:48 am

The Target boots are comfortable but they do not last. I’ve never had a pair keep for more than a year, and it’s not like I’m wearing my rainboots every day. They’re inexpensive, but you end up buying more pairs.

Margie
    September 17, 2008 at 10:08 am

Hi Nicole,

I’ve gone through about 5 pairs of boots in the last 8 years ago. First, I bought the expensive Tamara Hendriques striped boots which were the first to start the striped Wellie craze.

They ripped within a season — and they were expensive!

Then I bought a less expensive pair of red Polo wellies — very cute and lasted longer, but also tore after about 6 months of use. Then three other pairs of Target or no-name brand boots.

What I found was that the shiny boots don’t hold up well. They bend with your foot and this causes tiny tears in the rubber. LEAKS!

So last year, I ponyed up and bought two pairs of the Hunter boots and I love them. So sturdy and I know they’ll last forever. You do have to know that they aren’t shiny — they actually shed rubber with wear so you need to brush them off after use.

But for someone like me who wears Wellies a lot — I’m in NYC and commute to work by train and walking every day so they get a lot of use.

I wish I had seem the Festival boots last year! So cute!

Shannon Cary
    September 17, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Urban Outfitters has a cute pair. I recently posted about rain boots on my blog:

KT
    September 22, 2008 at 4:45 pm

I have the Hunters in black and another pair in an eggplant color. They are so comfy! I’m glad you got a pair!

MW
    September 26, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Hi Nicole,

I vote for quality – go for the wellies! ;) (although according to a more recent post, you already have).

I was just wondering which font it is you used for the “Hunter Wellingtons” and “Target Rain Boots” writing in this post?

Sharon
    November 12, 2008 at 9:58 am

I have searched and searched for rain boots for a gift for a friend’s birthday. Finally found a very cute pair of Kate Spade ones that were actually on sale! Great price!!! ($50) The only problem was that she has larger calves and even with the buckle open, they were too tight. But, I would definitely recommend the Kate Spade ones to anyone who doesn’t have this problem. May buy myself a pair at this price.

oh, hey. » Hunter Wellington Boots
    February 25, 2009 at 6:15 am

[…] a pair of rubber boots. I was reading about Nicole’s quest for the perfect wellies over at Making it Lovely, and I’ve love a pair of Hunter Wellington boots, but I’m a little leary about the calf […]

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Love, Lulu Mae