28 April 18, 2009

Up for the Challenge: Part Three

In my third post for Better Homes & Gardens’ 48-Hour Challenge, I talk about how my plans for the front porch quickly changed when we went to buy our furniture.

When I first started planning our project, I had chosen two wicker chairs, a metal table, and a wooden glider. I had even created a digital mood board to see how everything would look together! Then we saw a great deal on a table and chair set that I hadn’t seen online, and suddenly the look went in a whole new direction.

48-Hour-Challenge Plans

You can read more about the shopping trip and the last-minute switcheroos over at BHG.com

Marcelle
    April 18, 2009 at 10:33 am

Hi Nicole. I saw your blog and loved it. I am pregnant too. But in the beginning…loved to see you in action with the big belly. I am trying to transform my place in a lovely one too. So, I will be following your blog. Peace! Marcelle http://pedacinhodacel.blogspot.com
    I teach English, so I will indicate your blog to my students.

Heather
    April 18, 2009 at 11:31 am

I love it! I like the floor with the white petals on it, and the fresh, airy look of the pink tables and chairs!

Katie
    April 18, 2009 at 11:56 am

Love the plan for the table!! So adorable and definitely you!

ana
    April 18, 2009 at 12:09 pm

ok
    you must be in pain, no sleep and feeling enormous!
    But
    you are doing this???????
    then it must be the nesting instinct kicking in !
    So it must today that the baby is arriving!
    Take a nice warm shower, put your feet up and enjoy the first day of the rest of your life being a beautiful mommy!

andi
    April 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm

What model patio set is that? I can’t find it anywhere!

Making it Lovely
    April 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I can’t find it on the Home Depot website anymore – I think it was some kind of special and they only had it for a week or so. It was a dark brown/black color, and all four chairs (with pads) plus the table were $199.

Katie
    April 18, 2009 at 2:52 pm

That table and chair set is 50 bucks off the price you paid. You should go get a price adjustment and use the money for something else wonderful.

:D

I hope you are feeling better!!

Loop and Lil
    April 18, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I second what Katie said – I was just at Home Depot, and the table and chairs are marked down to $149! What a steal!

katiedid
    April 18, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Everything is looking LOVELY! I know it would. :)

Jacci
    April 18, 2009 at 8:18 pm

I’m loving this. Were those chairs already PINK at Home Depot? Surely not – that pink is your own personal spin on a ho-hum outdoor set. I’m certain :) Those are going to be perfection when painted! You can dream up all kinds of great pillows for that wicker loveseat/setee, too :) So excited to see it all done!!!

Nancy
    April 18, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I like the revised version as much as I liked the original version! I can’t believe you are doing this while having a baby ANY SECOND! You are amazing!!

*hopefully you aren’t reading this becaue you are busy giving birth to a lovely baby!!! :-) Best Wishes!!

Sherry
    April 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Wahoo! It’s looking lovely of course. We’re on the edge of our seat to see everyone’s finished product. I think it’s so funny that we were both all over that glider bench and some green pillows but we’re each embracing our first loves (yours: pink, ours: soft neutrals) and our porches will be pimped to the max without looking like twins. Can’t wait for the big reveal! Oh and happy baby day. Hope it’s today…

xoxo,
    s

Melanye K
    April 19, 2009 at 1:08 am

i love the pink table and chairs! i can’t wait to see it all come together…

Liz
    April 19, 2009 at 6:30 am

How exciting!!I’m also working on a small patio makeover! Getting inspired by all your posts!

Peace,
    Liz!

Amanda
    April 19, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Your plan looks fabulous! Looking forward to everyone’s finished product :)

Making it Lovely
    April 19, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Katie and Loop and Lil, thank you! I was able to get a price adjustment on the patio set, and I bought another pot and a lilac (which I’ll plant in my garden later)!

Katie
    April 19, 2009 at 7:30 pm

You are welcome! Glad to help! :)

Denise
    April 19, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Can’t wait to see what you’re doing with the divider! Love the revised plan.

Holly
    April 20, 2009 at 7:56 am

I’ve been looking at that patio set for awhile now and I was sold on it, but my boyfriend wasn’t. After seeing all done up in a mood board, I took him back and talked him into it! We actually bought two for our large back deck and plan on putting the tables together for seating for six (seems so modern to have two tables together!) and then can use the other two elsewhere with a side table. I plan to paint the “extras” a different color and add some colorful cushions to give a more eclectic feel! And hooray for the $149 price – we were able to get 2x the “equipment” for half of what we budgeted! glad to see you found the deal too – what a great challenge! hope the pink paint goes well – let us know on here so I have tips when I get around to doing mine!!! ;c)

Cherie
    April 20, 2009 at 8:30 am

I just found your blog and love it. I love the egg chair in your backyard. I just bought that glider. It’s still in the box. Is it difficult to put together?

christy
    April 20, 2009 at 11:20 am

I have that wicker love seat too. Love it. It is comfy with or with out cushions. Can’t wait to see the finished photos of the porch.

Hope your bundle arrives soon!

Amy
    April 20, 2009 at 11:49 am

Cant wait to see the finished product!!

heather s.
    April 20, 2009 at 11:59 am

Love the modified mood board. I can’t wait to see the finished porch. Good luck with the challenge and hopefully you’ll be welcoming your baby to the world soon! :)

katelynjane
    April 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Wow, I love both your ideas but what you ended up with is great! Hubby and I were shopping for patio furniture on the weekend too. No purchases were made, but I decided on a nice set. Now to paint…

Catherine
    April 24, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I love the pink patio set. What a great idea to spray paint it! Kudos to you guys for getting everything done in a weekend. I just recently found your blog and find it so inspiring, so keep it up! Best wishes for a healthy and safe delivery of your baby.

Truly Smitten
    April 30, 2009 at 7:15 am

absolutely LOVE how you transformed your lovely home!! Congrats on being a mommy (very soon)!!

ginas ww recipes
    April 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I love pink and green! They were my wedding colors. You’re so lucky to have a hubby that would let you paint your furniture pink! Love your site!

Tai
    August 25, 2009 at 11:42 am

So, in regards to the table and chairs, did you just spray paint? any tips on having to sand or prime? i want to do something similar in red to a patio set i have.

Thanks!