60 June 8, 2009

Maybe Tomorrow?

I wanted to post photos of the nursery today, I really did. Perhaps if I had one of those babies that, you know, slept, I could get some things done around here. Eleanor’s a doll, but she’s not familiar with the whole nap concept.

Eleanor, Not Sleeping

“What? I’m supposed to do what all day? Uh, no.”

The nursery photos are forthcoming, I promise.

Keli
    June 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Love your website and have been voting for you since the start of the contest. Good luck!!! Just a little unsolicited parental advice which I’m sure you will come to love as all mothers do (note the hint of sarcasm); I completely agree with your very wise mother in that the sleep routine takes awhile to establish. My daughter didn’t nap regularly until at least 4 mos and only ever took one nap a day, much to my chagrin. Most of my friends who are mothers found that the best bits of advice came from the book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Don’t recall the author but it’s pretty easy to find. Although, as a rule, I generally read parenting books only when I am at my absolute wits end! They can cause unintentional frustration and confusion. Anyway, I know this is probably annoying but congratulations on the new babe:)

Pencils
    June 11, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Eleanor is adorable! And as everyone has said, the naps will come. Eventually. Savor these newborn days, they go SO fast. My baby is eight months old and she’s so different already–not in a bad way, but I miss my tiny little swaddled burrito sometimes.

And I don’t want to be one of those posters, but the only parenting book I’ve read was The Happiest Baby on the Block, which I found very helpful when it came to sleeping. My daughter HATED her very fancy pink swing. Hated it. Certainly didn’t sleep in it. The only thing she liked was the butterfly mobile part. We finally sold it on Craigslist when she was six months old because it was taking up too much space. She also hated the sling–hated all baby carriers when she was younger. (She will tolerate them now.) The moral of this story is: every baby is different. You just have to use trial and error to find out what works with your baby. And what works changes as your baby gets older. :)

Pencils
    June 11, 2009 at 12:39 pm

PS–love the socks, we had the Trumpette socks that look like little mary janes. Aurora’s just grown out of them. And the crib bedding is so pretty. I went with a Breathable Bumper because of the SIDS link, but it’s not terribly attractive on the crib.

Jess
    June 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Sleeping well at night sounds like a great start, I wish my boys had done that much! Still, they’ve got those tiny immature nervous systems, so it’s ok if they don’t sleep quite the way we adults are used to sleeping. *yawn*

Have you discovered thebabywearer.com yet? I wish I had known how awesome a truly well-fitting sling/wrap/mei-tai could be back with bambino #1. Crucial for parental sanity, IMO!

Tommy Bahama Bedding
    June 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm

She’s sooo adorable :)

Cindy
    June 11, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I love Eleanor’s argyle socks! so cute!

TracyKM
    June 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm

So wear her in a sling and get some photos and other stuff done :) A pouch was a lifesaver for me, particularly when we sold our house when #3 was a newborn. Now she’s 3 1/2 and way over 40lb and I can’t throw her on my back while I do the mad dash as we’re trying to sell again, LOL. Don’t even bother with a Bjorn or Snugli, go for the real stuff. http://www.thebabywearer.com is the place to start :)

Cherry@NewburghRestoration
    June 17, 2009 at 10:15 am

awww I hadn’t seen her yet! Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

The birds and the bees « Mama Kate
    March 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

[…] I saw this onesie for the first time on Making It Lovely’s blog, I knew I had to buy it, even though Evelina was but a twinkle in my eye at the time.  I had […]

The birds and the bees | all five horizons
    May 6, 2012 at 10:34 am