31 June 10, 2009

New Porch Details

Just because we had finished working on the porch for the BHG 48-Hour Challenge (have you voted yet today?), that doesn’t mean that we had completely finished. I love the way everything turned out, but there were a few other items that have since caught my eye…

These green astro balls are fun, aren’t they? I included them in my Great Green Outdoors post back in March, and I had wanted them ever since.

Spiky Green Balls

Actually, I just realized that the other two items newly added to our porch were in that same post from March too. The beachcomber outdoor pillow is looking nice on our bench…

Pillows on the Bench

And the MYNTA hanging pots look great filled with annuals.

Hanging Plant Pot

So there you have it. A home-obsessed person’s work is never done. Although our front porch is. For now, at least. ;)

Psst… If you could take just a moment to vote today in the 48-Hour Challenge, I’d be ever so grateful. There are only three days left, and it’s gonna be a close one!

jocel
    June 10, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Sigh! I wish I had your eye for things. Btw, could you tell me what the plants are in your hanging pot? I have a similar pot sitting in our garage waiting for me to use them!

Thanks!

Making it Lovely
    June 10, 2009 at 2:32 pm

The white flowers with the dark leaves are begonias – they do well in partial shade. I’m not sure what the trailing plant is though. Vinca?

luuvely
    June 10, 2009 at 2:49 pm

really cute..and omg i looove green…

have you and eleanor been enjoying the porch much..its been really nice recently in the midwest (Ohioan here :)

Georgia
    June 10, 2009 at 2:56 pm

-“A home-obsessed person’s work is never done” –

But you sure do a heck of a job! The porch is lovely…
    I’ll be sure to go vote right now!

SpawnStudio
    June 10, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I believe the trailing plant is creeping jenny. Love it! I need to get some for my window boxes.

Grace Hester Designs
    June 10, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Our deck (no porch) is like an extended room of the house during the warmer months. But I am now inspired to add more flora via a hanging planter. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Martina
    June 10, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I’ll keep voting if you keep reminding me. I hope you win!

Jen of Primed4Design
    June 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I just love anything to do with the color green, and great job on the porch redo! Voted for you!

Lucia M
    June 10, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Voted! Love the green colors;)

kate
    June 10, 2009 at 4:48 pm

voting for you each and every day!!!

AmandathePanda
    June 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I just voted! …and you are #1. I’ll vote everyday. I hope you guys win, you really deserve it :)

Zoey Bond
    June 10, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Love the additions. I found your blog through the BHG contest and I have been voting for you every day. So glad to see you back in the lead. Your style is quite lovely.

yansy
    June 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Lovely additions and great choices. Good Luck

michelle
    June 10, 2009 at 7:58 pm

hi nicole,
    the trailing creeping jenny plant actually behaves like a perennial for me, here in va anyways. i love the contrast of the chartreuse & dark plum. btw, did you ever get one of those metal garden spheres for your yard. i’m really interested in one for our garden, too! :)

Bec
    June 10, 2009 at 9:26 pm

OK, this has nothing to do with your porch post (which is totally stunning!) and everything to do with your update via twitter…about nursing still hurting after 6 weeks. I nursed twins, so I know that if it still hurts, something is wrong. Either you have an infection or the baby isn’t latching on well. Either way, make an appt. with the lactation consultant at the hospital where you delivered Eleanor (this should be free) and go in and have the woman watch you nurse and give you feedback. Really, there’s no way it should hurt at this point! Sorry to be so bossy when I don’t even know you, but I’ve so enjoyed reading your blog and I want you to be happy and healthy! :)

Adrienne @ Susan Palmer Designs
    June 10, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Those green astro balls are adorable! Congrats on your beautiful porch!

kristen_verity
    June 10, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Bloody hell. I’ve been voting daily, but the Eleanor and nursery photos are making me wish I could cheat. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Joy
    June 11, 2009 at 3:37 am

I just LOVE that hanging pot!…man…if I had a front porch…he he he.

Joy
    June 11, 2009 at 3:40 am

also…only 2 more days, I think we can win this thing! (I feel like we all win cause we get to see the lovely things you’ll do with the prize money!

Denise
    June 11, 2009 at 4:42 am

My vote is in for today! Keeping my fingers & toes crossed for your porch.

Jo
    June 11, 2009 at 7:05 am

I’m with everyone, but specially Bec. I had problems for a month with my first then nurse told me he wasn’t latching on properly so maybe you should see about it.

Kimberly
    June 11, 2009 at 7:58 am

I love the Astro Balls I wonder if I can find them in Canada?

Cracking Good
    June 11, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I’ve been looking for a good, not too traditional outdoor pillow. The brown would fit my decor. Thanks!

Tommy Bahama Bedding
    June 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Your porch is so lovely – I so hope you win! And, the new accessories fit in perfectly.

Diane
    June 11, 2009 at 6:46 pm

I have to add a nursing comment too. I asked my friend who is a lactation consultant about pain at 6 weeks and she said that if the baby has a high palate, you would still have pain. Most LCs will tell you that the baby needs to “grow into” her palate to solve the problem, but at our local hospital one of the local pediatricians (whose wife is high up in La Leche League) has been cutting the frenulum of these babes–same operation that tongue-tied babies get–and this solves the problem.

I may be reporting this a tad inaccurately, not being a medical person myself, but that was my understanding of the issue. Maybe you need to seek out more than a couple of “experts” until you find one who really wants to solve your problem?

I have been voting every day–even on vacation and on my daughter’s email account–I am so glad that you are about to win!

Chocolate
    June 11, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I always thought those astro balls were super cute, and they definitely look great on your porch.

Cristin
    June 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

your porch is lovely! sounds like you just had a baby… congrats!

Cristin

Bri
    June 16, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I like the astro balls. They remind me of sea urchins! Looks great.

jaime
    June 23, 2009 at 7:49 pm

That vine is Creeping Jenny…aka moneywort…and if you plant it in the ground toward the end of the season, it is determined to grow back. I live in Albany NY, where it is nearly as cold as Chicago, and mine is growing like hotcakes. Great job with the porch, and with Eleanor! ;)

Mary at Front-Porch-Ideas-and-More.com
    June 23, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Congratulations on winning the bhg porch makeover contest. Love what you did. Dave and I have a website all about front porches. We would love to feature your makeover ideas (love the painted flooring idea) on our website. If you are interested, please contact us via our website or email. Congratulations also on your new baby! Wow, you’ve accomplished a lot.

featherbed
    June 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I love that “Creeping Jenny” coming out of the pot!! I am using it as a ground cover now but it looks so much better trailing like that!!! Love it!