72 November 19, 2009

Trying to Sew a Slipcover

I had this idea a year and a half ago to slipcover my desk chair, and I’ve finally gotten around to trying it. Guess what… it’s way harder than I thought it would be! Of course, I am a novice seamstress at best, but I’ve had some sewing successes and I thought I could do this. Well, I made three pocket-like things that are fitting (sort of), but I have no idea how to connect them. I’ve been sitting on my chair like this for about a week now…

TRYING to make a new cover

There’s no shame in giving up on a crafty project, right? What about you guys? Have you had better success with this type of thing? Do tell.

Lydia, Clueless Crafter
    November 21, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I’m totally clueless about how to make a slipcover. In fact, I’m spending this year to secure basic DIY skills.

I would say, however, that you should Not quit. Perserve, do it wrong, but don’t quit w/out going to the bloody end.

In my life, I have found that this is when I learn the most about the project and, more importantly, my inner drive.

Ho

kate
    November 22, 2009 at 2:48 pm

ah, but you’re so close. don’t give up.

hishouse;herhelp.
    November 23, 2009 at 10:38 am

i know at the JoAnn fabric store near me they have a class you can take on this stuff. And you just bring your furniture in and a professional helps you. Might be worth checking into.

Oonafey
    November 23, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I couldn’t find any cafe curtains to fit our kitchen windows, so I got the brilliant idea back in July to make my own. Ha. I am four curtains in, I need ten, and somehow each one turns out slightly different. I think I am measuring them the same, I iron them, I pin them, then I measure them again(just to make sure) and it will be wrong! Argh. It’s soooo frustrating.

enyasi
    November 24, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I feel your pain, I just removed the partially pinned slipcover from my couch. After working on it for 4 months.. or rather avoiding it, I decided to buy the slipcover and make the pillows.. With slipcovers it is definitely a pick your battle type thing.

Lisa
    November 25, 2009 at 11:47 am

My mom made a slipcover for a chair once years ago for an awesome chair I loved. The original upholstery was stripes in pastel pink, green and blue. See the 17 year old rolling her eyes? She made a cover that was bold yellow and blue striped to match my yellow walls. She had to sew the pieces together while they were on the chair. She said she’d never make another slipcover again. And she hasn’t.

Brad
    November 28, 2009 at 10:51 am

With unusual shaped things it is best to do a pattern from some muslin or left over fabric. You can work out all the mistakes on the pattern , even write on it or draw lines. Baste stiching is the best way to get the pieces together while
    working on the slip cover. Pulling the slip on and off and then turning it inside out get’s very confusing. A magic marker that bleeds through the fabric(
    pattern)
    also let’s you see where to sew pieces together, and what piece your looking for.
    good luck

Barbara , Salem, NH
    November 28, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I think it is easier to reupolster then slip covers. Yes i have tired my hand at it too. ! And I consider myself an expeiereced seemstress. I don’t like it either. HA HA Good luck and I give you credit for trying. Looks like your on the right idea you’ll figure it out I am sure.
    Good luck !!!
    Barb

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Honor Roll (No. 12)
    July 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm

[…] think I need to give up on the slipcover idea for my office chair (not that I’ve been working on it lately anyway), and just reupholster it instead. Look at […]

Jen
    January 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I bought a book so simple slipcovers Gail Abbott and Cate Burren – creative homeowners. It has all the information needed to make a beautiful slipcover for any piece of furniture, pillows,throws. I made a slipcover for my wing chair and several pillows with ideas from the book. Best money spent. First slipcover was a success. The book has been borrowed time and time again. Good luck with your slipcover.

• 1 2