119 March 16, 2010

Cutest Dish Rack Ever

We added a dishwasher back when we remodeled our kitchen, but I’ve been washing Eleanor’s bottles, bowls, and spoons by hand. A tea towel on the counter worked well for laying everything out to dry, but then I found the grass drying rack by Boon. It’s adorable.

Cutest Dish Rack Ever

I tried to make the other side of the sink cute too. The green soap dispenser is for hand soap, and the olive oil bottle is for dish soap.

Soap Dispensers

The green one is great but the other isn’t working out as well. I liked the look of it much more than any actual dispensers I had seen, so I thought I was being very clever when I bought it. When I tried to use it though, I realized I’d have to dilute the soap considerably for it to pour through the spout. Oh well. At least I tried, right?

Kitchen Sink

March 16, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I’ve been using a square recycled glass bottle with a white pump for about 7 years now (with Method dish soap, but now the cucumber matches my kitchen better than pink grapefruit). Every so often I have to scrub the pump area to get it clean again – but I love not needing to pick up the bottle. I picked my dispenser up at Pier 1 in their bath section, but they’ve stopped carrying them. I’ve seen them at Target (on the wall of kitchen gadgets) and Bed Bath & Beyond (but can’t find it online at either retailer). It looks like this amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Square-Soap-Bottle-With-Pump/dp/B000E8UQYI

March 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm

That exact thing happened to me with the olive oil spout and bottle. I even used a vintage decanter that looked so lovely, but was completely useless for actually dispensing!

March 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

That drying rack is so great!! I love the look — I am wondering if it’s easy to clean. I have a Skip-Hop bottle drying rack, and when even the smallest amount of excess water collects toward the bottom after a while ,it is SO GROSS to clean. But easy to click apart and run under soapy water and dry with a towel. I am interested in feedback on cleaning between the grass blades.

March 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Um, I think I need the drying rack! It’s adorable!

hena tayeb
    March 16, 2010 at 7:37 pm

i like the idea of soap in an oil dispenser

March 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm

That is so cute! I am headed to Target to pick one up tonight. :)

I have been using a towel to dry my baby stuff too. This will be much cuter!

March 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I’ve never had a problem with that type of soap set-up. (I had a boiling flask from the local university’s cast-off sale with an olive oil-style plug until I broke the flask. Boo hoo.) I use 7th generation soap, and it seems to come out okay. Maybe it’s a thinner soap than Method?

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

The method soap is pretty thick. I suppose it’s not so bad that I diluted it since that’s what everyone is suggesting anyway!

March 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I want my kitchen to look this sunny!

March 16, 2010 at 10:12 pm

LOVE that drying rack! Do you mind if I use one of your pictures in a St. Patty’s “Best of Green” post tomorrow? (with links back to you and credit where it is due, of course)

March 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

That’s an adorable drying rack–I’ve seen it online–but doesn’t Eleanor drink more bottles than you can put on there? Do your bottles not have a lot of pieces, or do you wash them all day long? We use the Dr Brown’s bottles that have a bunch of pieces, and I have to use two drying racks with a lot more space on them to dry the bottles. I do run them through the dishwasher now that Aurora is older, but I rinse them again by hand. We had a lousy dishwasher in our old apartment, and I haven’t gotten past the habit. We’ll see what the new Bosch is like when it’d delivered next month.

It is a really adorable kitchen setup. I’m very jealous.

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Eleanor is still nursing, so she only gets a bottle occasionally. Here’s what’s typically on the rack: her little bowl, a few baby spoons, a cup, a bottle or two, and a pump shield or two.

Condo Blues
    March 16, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I love Boon and have considered buying the dishrack for myself. Why do kids have to get all of the cool designs, why not us too?

I have the snackball. I don’t have kids. My husband uses it to hold trailmix when he’s out and about. I use it to hold treats at the dog park.

It’s Easy Being Green « pinksuedeshoe
    March 17, 2010 at 2:16 am

[…] [ image ] […]

Catherine @ waking up with you
    March 17, 2010 at 2:22 am

Love that you even have pink dishwashing detergent!

I have a Simple Human System dish rack and although I like it a lot, I’ve noticed that there’s a strange orange build up that seems to collect on the plastic parts. It washes off okay, it just worries me what this stuff might be and where it’s coming from!

March 17, 2010 at 4:29 am

Absolutely love it! I use Fairy liquid in my glass dispenser -I’m sure it must be available in the US too.

Charlotte xx

March 17, 2010 at 7:12 am

I use a soda bottle with a spout that I got from Kmart and mine works a little too good. I just use Dawn though, in blue of course. ;)

March 17, 2010 at 7:21 am

You are so right – I bought 4 of the ‘olive oil’ dispenser for the same reason you got them for – but they don’t work so well. They look nice though but alas! they now sit unused in storage :-(

March 17, 2010 at 7:29 am

Your readers share really great ideas! I did the olive oil container years ago but gave up b/c it was just too slow!! Now I have several other options to try … or going back to the olive oil type container but with soap that has vinegar in it! Beautiful sink area, by the way!! Love it!

marybeth @ www.babygoodbuys.com
    March 17, 2010 at 7:38 am

I tried to do exactly the same thing with the olive oil dispenser for my dishsoap – big fail! Oh, well, it was a clever idea!

March 17, 2010 at 8:01 am

I had the same trouble with using an olive oil dispenser with dishwashing soap. I replaced the top with a metal wine pourer, which has a much larger opening, and it works like a charm.

March 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

ladies, i’ve used the glass decanter with dish soap for years … try out different spouts and remember to keep them clean. clean by soaking in hot water then rinse. and, the cheaper (plastic bar type) spout seems to work better. especially if you like your soap to pour out fast(er).
    happy dish washing!

March 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Aww, LOL! That grass rack is sooo cute. :D Your blog is always full of incredible inspirations. I get excited every time.

Also, I have a favor to ask…
    I’m trying to win a party contest and would love your help! Would you go here:

and leave a comment at the end of the article? Your comment will give me a vote. Thanks so much! I appreciate it lots. <3

March 17, 2010 at 3:22 pm

We use olive oil bottles for dish soap, and the trick is to use a top/stopper that has an air hole in it

March 17, 2010 at 7:47 pm

the one question that hasn’t been asked- where is the white planter from?

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm

It’s a vase from west elm, but I bought it years ago.

March 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Maybe a silly question…is the grass drying rack sturdy enough for regular, adult dishes? I want one for me, myself, and I.

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:23 pm

No, unfortunately it’s a little too small. Well, maybe for a few plates if they’re on the smaller side it would be OK.

March 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I just got this drying rack as a baby gift {I’m due in one month!!} and have already used it for washing bottles. So perfect and seems easy to clean :).

March 17, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I am slowly but surely revamping my 50s kitchen…can you point me in the right direction for your cabinet hardware? Those would be perfect.

March 18, 2010 at 5:00 am

the kitchen is gorgeous, very cool idea. xx

March 18, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Love everything! Looks so fun and organized.

March 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

When I saw your olive oil bottle I thought “What a great idea! Too bad I like to use diluted soap” and then I read your comment.

For environmental reasons I prefer to dilute my soap considerably when I wash by hand, at a ratio of about 1:10 or even 1:15. That way my soap lasts way longer. With undiluted soap I would use few drops of soap every second or third cup, with diluted soap those few drops could fill about 10% of that bottle, which would last much longer.

I will look now for a bottle like yours, currently I am using an ugly old plastic bottle over and over again. Based on my current experience (I also wash by hand all my daughter’s bottles, cups, and anything plastic) and I would need to refill it about twice a week, which isn’t too bad.

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s a good thing I diluted the soap now!

Friday Share and Tell « Jen Loves Kev
    March 19, 2010 at 8:38 am

[…] on another blog this week and I starred it because it was so cute, but then I saw it being used on Making it Lovely and knew I needed to have this for our baby things once the baby arrives. It would totally match […]

Katie Stephenson
    March 19, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I tried doing that super-cute dish soap in an olive jar thing once too and it ended up being sortof a mess. I just keep it under the sink now :)

March 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading since I came across your site a few months ago!

Had the same problem with bottle pourers + soap. I found that Palmolive (or equivalent Target brand) works well with these plastic bottle pours:
    No diluting necessary. Plus the soap comes in green or purple. Even the traditional orange is pretty in a glass bottle!

Renee Smith
    March 20, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Unrelated baby gear question… what kind of stroller do you have and how do you feel about it? We’re thinking of adding another (baby) to the family and our perfect one-baby stroller won’t work out anymore!

Making it Lovely
      March 24, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I like my Maclaren Triumph. I have a Graco too (metrolite, I think?), but it’s so hard to maneuver in crowded areas. I use my baby carriers more than the strollers though – I love my BabyHawk mei tai!

March 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm

hello making it lovely! you are an inspiration to busy women out there who are very busy and yet you still have time to make your home beautiful! i just bought an rar chair and i can’t wait to see it in our living room.

March 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Sorry it doesn’t work well ~ at least it looks cute!

What kind of flowers are those?? They’re so fresh and springy! :)

March 21, 2010 at 10:32 am

The warmer the kitchen the easier the soap will pour. And yes, keep the spout clean and check around for larger spout.

March 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Love, love, love the grass drying rack.

You have a beautiful blog. So nice to meet you in person on Friday at Dyson. I’ll certainly be back to read more on your site.

Laura Durrer
    March 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I too tried using an olive oil dispenser for soap and found that the spout was too narrow. I now use a glass sugar pourer. The one I have now I got at Ikea, but the under side of the top is rusting, so i’m back in the market for one. The spout is much wider and more convenient but still and attractive on my counter.

mindy t
    March 23, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Love the green hand soap dispenser. Where can I find one?

March 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

very cute, nonetheless!

March 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm

This is my first time visiting your blog and I must say you are pretty darn amazing..I love your style. I will be back for more!! :)

March 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Just gorge! I need to get me one of those.

May 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I know this is an older post, but I have this same drying rack and had no idea there were accessories to go with it! http://www.booninc.com/products/Twig/357

A Cute Kitchen Sink Setup | Making it Lovely
    July 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm

[…] (and yes, someone has to), you may as well make the job as nice as can be. Here’s how I have my kitchen sink setup.Lawn Drying RackDish and Hand Soap in My KitchenPiece of Cake Linen Tea TowelMethod Gel Hand […]

How to Organize Bottles and Sippy Cups: Baby Product Review: Boon Stash and Boon Grass
    October 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

[…] drainer was driving me nuts! Really, this is what it looked like almost all the time!I recently saw Nicole from Making it Lovely using the Grass drying rack, and I fell in love with the look! I need tons of help in the decor department, and her post showed […]

Baby Product Review: Boon Stash and Boon Grass - Baby Savers!
    April 10, 2013 at 11:17 am

[…] recently saw Nicole from Making it Lovely using the Grass drying rack, and I fell in love with the look! I need tons of help in the decor department, and her post showed […]

An Entire New World of Shopping Opportunities | Naturally Contrary
    October 11, 2013 at 12:13 am

[…] you not love that? And the grass drying rack –  I’ve loved that ever since I saw it on Making it Lovely. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to buy it as soon as I know there will be a baby to […]

• 1 2