My Perfect Shade of Lipstick

I’ve finished another item from my 30 Before Thirty List: find my perfect shade of lipstick.

The result? I’m a little embarrassed to share it with you. Like I was supposed to go out and find the cool, little-known-brand. Or the respected-among-professional-insiders brand. And now here I’m all REVLON! But you know what? I tried a bunch of more expensive, more cool, more impressive ones, and I just ended up wasting a lot of money. Revlon lipsticks are awesome, as is that NP Set red from Target. And I found not just one perfect shade of lipstick, but three. Here they are:

Go drugstore brands! This is the one category in which you are winning among my makeup (though sometimes mascara isn’t far behind).

Have you tried these colors? I think they’re great, but are there any other lipsticks you swear by? And do you even wear lipstick? Sometimes I think people feel like it’s a little old-fashioned, and I think I’m the only one of my friends that likes it.

104 Responses to “My Perfect Shade of Lipstick”

1. Lauren June 28, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

You aren’t alone. I’ve always worn lipstick, since I first started wearing make up. I have very fair skin, and lipstick helps brighten my face and add some color. These days I’m wearing some by Burt’s Bees, also a drugstore brand. It’s like a chapstick and lipstick all in one and has some nice subtle colors for everyday.

2. joanne June 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

my old standby is clinique black honey… sheer and moisturizing with great color!

• Jenny June 29, 2010 at 10:38 am #

This is my favourite too. It’s just enough colour that I think of it as lipstick :)

3. Debra June 28, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Really pretty choices, Nicole! I’m a lipstick Gal myself. Used to love gloss until it began to cause breakouts. These are my fave lipsticks:

Stila Natalie (discontinued, as w/ most shades that become my faves — bummer!)
    Clinique Shy
    Clinique Black Honey

Balms:

Covergirl Lipslicks (tinted lip balm) in Daring
    Rosebud Perfume Co. Brambleberry Rose Lip Balm
    Badger Cocoa Butter Lip Balm in Lime Rocket

4. greengirl June 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm #

I like to buy a new lipstick as a little “treat” every once in a while. A little color to lift me out of a funk, or just because. I am currently loving my MAC “Politely Pink”… I am very fair, and it’s a great daytime nude/pink with a hint of shimmer. I love the bold and colorful shades you selected – perfect!

5. Debbie June 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm #

I love lipstick! I too have a 5-10 minute makeup routine, same one for years… it’s pretty much the same whethter I’m running errands, going to work, soccer games with the kids or a wedding. I am going to try the Revlon lipsticks. I have a Clinique one that I love, I think it’s called Sugared Maple. The only makeup I really spend on is the Estee Lauder Double Wear. I swear by it and wear it every day. I only buy it when Estee has a freebie special, and the rest of the makeup I use is from the freebie deals. The colors are always pretty neutral colors and stay on all day.

6. Rachel June 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

My mom always said that lipstick “completes the face.” I totally stand by that mantra! I love lipstick and have lots of Revlon colors. Lately though, I’ve been wearing some Lancome shades.

7. Jessica June 29, 2010 at 12:08 am #

I love lipstick, especially true reds, but I stick to gloss for everyday wear to keep my daily routine simple. Revlon is definitely my favorite brand, but I’ve been experimenting with nude shades lately and really like this Mary Kay color, Tanned.

8. Scientific Housewife June 29, 2010 at 7:55 am #

I haven’t tried those colors but I am a Revlon girl through and through, I have yet to find a Revlon lipstick I don’t like!

9. iris June 29, 2010 at 9:29 am #

Drugstore-brand mascara always wins for me. Maybelline Full n Soft. I’m not much of a lipstick wearer, but am a big fan of C.O. Bigelow’s “My favorite lip balm”.

10. Emily June 29, 2010 at 9:41 am #

2 summers ago I went in search of the perfect shade of red lipstick and, like you, after searching far and wide (not just in space, but in price range) I too found my perfect shade in Revlon: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cha Cha Cherry. It is still my color of choice and I wear it almost daily. Thanks for the post!!

11. Ally June 29, 2010 at 11:13 am #

I’ve yet to find the perfect red lipstick so I might try these. I like a good neutral for everyday wear and like L’Oreal’s Endless #800.

12. HollyP June 29, 2010 at 11:21 am #

It may be because I’m a child of the 80s, but I ALWAYS wear lipstick. I have very pale skin and a round face, so the lipstick perks me up and takes attention away from my full cheeks. I swear by the Maybelline 12-hour lipstain, in Plum. It really does last all day.

Since I’m a work-outside-home mother, I’ve always worn full makeup daily. The 5-10 minute investment is well worth it, for how I feel about my appearance.

13. Erika - 2byDesign June 29, 2010 at 11:30 am #

My mom is fabulous and always so beautiful and put together. I swear a reason for this is she REFUSES to leave the house without lipstick on. I’m not kidding, there could be an incoming tsunami and my girl would be searching for her pocket mirror. I on the other hand, have hundreds, maybe even thousands of lipsticks and lipglosses and no matter how hard I try, I can’t get away from my love affair with chapstick. Arizona Sun chapstick in lemon flavor to be exact. Seriously though, it’s a problem.

14. Krista June 29, 2010 at 11:42 am #

I recently bought a Lancome gloss in hot pink and it has SPARKLES in it! I definitely have to wear liner with it and do the finger in the mouth trick to prevent it getting on my teeth, but it is so fun! I love lipstick and lipcolors. For everyday wear I often go with Burt’s Bees lipshimmers – I like the neutral colors and the tingly feel they give. I notice department store lipsticks last longer for me, but I definitely buy drugstore brands as well. I recently bought a Maybelline colorsensational in Coral Crush because I wanted to try out an orangey/coral color since its trendy right now.

I don’t always have time to do a full face, but lipstick instantly adds glamour, easily. I love it!

15. medha June 29, 2010 at 11:45 am #

I am a tried and true lipstick wearer. in fact when I try to do gloss, my coworkers protest.
    my daily application goes like this.
    1. any kind of lipgloss or chapstick
    leave on for a few minutes, wipe off
    2. liner (Mac Cherry)
    3. Matte Lipstick (Mac Ruby Woo)
    3. Satin Lipstick (Mac original Viva Glam)
    Stays on all day if I don’t eat… but thats not an option!

16. jenn June 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

i never wore anything on my lips until recently and now i can’t go without it. i feel like a ghost without color! however, lip stick isn’t really for me. i LOVE LOVE LOVE stain! i have recently discovered tarte’s lip stain. it’s moisturizing, so it feels like a chapstick, but way prettier. :)

17. Daria June 29, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

I love lipstick. I have tried many and various types of lip gloss, drugstore as well as department store brands, and I’ve hated them all. It’s like having glue over my lips, it feels so un-natural. So I stick with lipsticks, usually drugstore brands, more sheer ones for the summer, and slightly thicker ones for winter. One of my favorites right now is Airy Fairy (I think) from Rimmel, a beautiful dusty pink shade. And it’s so cheap!

18. Sabrina June 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

I don’t wear lipstick anymore. When I was younger, I would wear different shades of coral or taupe. Now that I’m older and don’t wear as much makeup, I tend to just wear lip balm. I love Kiss My Face organic sliced peach! And for my 30th birthday, a friend got me J. R. Watkins raspberry lip balm. Both smell yummy and make my lips feel soft and smooth! (Lipstick always made my lips dry out.)

19. creole wisdom June 29, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Along the same line… burt’s bees lipstick. You know, it comes in the short, skinny as a pencil tube? They work wonders for me. I find other brands, especially the more expensive ones too heavy. And I’m mixed, so most colors out there look horrid on me. I stick to burt’s bees!

PS- I LOVE your blog.

20. Johanna June 29, 2010 at 7:52 pm #

Please add Rimmel to your list. I promise you won’t be sorry! :) Thanks for sharing.

21. Rachelle June 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

I’m getting more into lipstick now! I find lip gloss doesn’t last long enough. Thanks for the tips

22. Jakki June 30, 2010 at 8:30 am #

so love my Revlon…LOVES IT…the only makeup I usually have on is my foundation but most definetly my lipstick. its like…my life almost dependend on it, LOL

23. tim'spumpkinspice June 30, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

i am on my own quest to find the perfect mascara. i also decided against all the top brands (dior, stila, benefit, etc.) because I can’t justify $24 in mascara. So, I applaud the fact that you found drugstore brand lipsticks that work for you. I don’t wear lipstick (I use BonneBell Dr. Pepper lipgloss every single day- perfect hint of color and tastes amazing) but I am glad you found some shade varieties for cheap! yay!

24. Amanda June 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Revlon’s Daring Pink lipstick is the shade I’ve been searching for. Thanks for the tip- I’ll definitely treat myself to this the next time I’m at the drugstore.

25. lucy June 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

I love Laura Mercier’s Bare Lips lipstick. And the L’Oreal Star Secrets Latetia Casta one.

26. Lisa July 1, 2010 at 7:36 am #

I tend not to wear lipstick on weekends, but feel more put together at work with it so I wear it then. I have it down to three favorites: Revlon ColorStay Soft & Smooth in Luscious Rose, Revlon ColorStay Soft & Smooth in Natural Cashmere and Rimmel in Airy Fairy. Otherwise, I will wear various tinted lip balms.

27. Cheryl July 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

I have worn lipstick fairly consistently for the last 20 years. (Oooh, that’s scary saying that out loud.) But that amount of time wearing it has led to my habit of putting it on every day. (I also wear chapstick or lip balm to bed every night.) I think my favorite all time lipstick is Avon’s Plumping Lipstick. I wear that line’s lip conditioner under the colors I enjoy, and it makes them sheerer. Recently, Avon released Smooth Minerals Sheer Lip Tint, and it’s great! No, I am not an Avon rep, but my mom has sold for over 40 years. She is 70 and is often mistaken for a woman in her 50′s. Other than those, I like Chapstick under my lipstick as well. Regardless, of the brand you choose, your lips like your hands are the only set you will ever have. Be good to them with some sort of daily SPF!

28. M July 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

NARS wears the best of any brand. It doesn’t have a horrible taste, the colors are beautifully rich, and they fade well. The last quality is very handy if you’re wearing one of their reds. As it fades, you’re left with a lovely stain instead of a ring of red around your lips!

29. Seraph July 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

I am very fond of lipstick but I just plain don’t wear makeup often. I actually prefer the look of bright or smoky eyeshadow, but my glasses totally obscure any eye makeup I wear and I really dislike wearing contacts. So when I wear makeup, it’s tinted foundation and lipstick.

I like Clinique’s Angel Red, I have a really great bright no-name pink that my mom gave me ages ago, Cover Girl’s lipstain in Plum Pout is great and long-lasting, and Clinique’s Tenderheart is a really great neutral. I have to give my lips a gentle but thorough buffing with a wet washcloth every so often and I use Burt’s Bees Pomegranate lipbalm under any other lipstick I wear (or over top the stain).

30. Clearly Composed July 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Lipstick always makes me feel pretty. The Clinique Black Honey will never go out of style…a total classic. For some real impact though, Cherries in the Snow is a total winner. I think it is Revlon too!

• jamie June 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm #

My mom has worn Cherries in the Snow for YEARS. Love it!

31. emilie July 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm #

where the pics of you wearing the shades?

32. Emily July 14, 2010 at 9:36 am #

I love lipstick! My all-time fave is “O” by MAC.

33. Janice September 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

I MUST have lipstick on at all times, it just makes me feel like me. I’ve never liked glosses, but L’oreal “spiced cider” #755 has been my daily standard for a number of years. Revlon also has the best colors, and Clinic had a classic “Just gorgous” that they discontinued a number of years back, I actually hunted it down on e-bay several times.
    I’ve wore makeup every day since I was 14, first to hide skin issues, and still wear every day now in my 50s. It takes me 10 minutes in the morning at then I’m “done”..never think about it except to put a little extra lipstick on after lunch. My skin looks great for my age, besides making me feel good about myself, I’m convinced it’s prevented sun damage.
    STILL looking for the perfect red lipstick…

34. Chaussurefemmes November 29, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

This is several bright color lipstick looks bright. I prefer glossy lipstick, which makes my lips look sexy and flexible.

35. MEK January 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

I JUST stumbled on Revlon’s “Daring Pink” after a long search for an everyday pink. When I got to the counter, I was surprised to find it was 75% off (good) because it’s being discontinued (very bad!).
    Now I’m wondering whether to stockpile it…
    If you find a good replacement, I’m all ears!

36. Roxie May 20, 2011 at 2:06 am #

I LOVE NP Set Lipstick in Madrid as well! I received it in my makeup kit while studying cosmetology at a Paul Mitchell school.. In fact I love it so much traded a ton of my other NP goodies for more… so I now have Madrid stockpile!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » 30 Before Thirty - August 17, 2010

[...] Find my perfect shade of lipstick. (Done!) [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Non-Clothing Inspiration from the New J.Crew Catalog - August 25, 2010

[...] Fuchsia lipstick. Specifically Funny Face by Nars, which the catalog actually pointed out. I may have to add another lipstick to my favorites. [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Revisiting the 30 Before Thirty List - September 23, 2010

[...] 20. Find my perfect shade of lipstick. (Done!) [...]

4. My Five-Minute Face | Making it Lovely - May 24, 2011

[...] seen as old-fashioned? No matter. I brand-hop and experiment with color all the time. I wrote about my quest to find my perfect lipstick shade, and I’m still loving Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Daring Pink as my go-to, everyday [...]

5. A Lovely Life List | Making it Lovely - May 1, 2012

[...] my favorite thingsDetermine a wardrobe’s essentials, then buy them in the best quality I canFind my perfect shade of lipstickSew a dress for myself that I would actually wearWear perfume regularly againSkillsLearn how to [...]