Paper Crane

I checked another one off my 30 Before Thirty list today; I made an origami paper crane while Eleanor took her morning nap.

Paper Crane

I’m thoroughly impressed with those that have made 1000 paper cranes, as Blair from Wise Craft has recently done. As for me, I’m happy with my single crane, the first I’ve ever made.

42 Responses to “Paper Crane”

1. Lyndsey August 24, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Looks awesome! I’m working on a thousand cranes myself. :] It’s not so hard really, I use small thin origami squares so I can crank them out pretty quickly.

2. Christine August 24, 2010 at 11:44 am #

Aww, cute! Making one sounds like such a sweeter goal too, he’s adorable ;)

3. Cindy August 24, 2010 at 11:53 am #

In high school we got “crane cards” for good behavior. A certain number of cards equalled a paper crane hug from the ceiling at the school entrance. Nice idea, but any reminder of the torture known as Catholic high school is well, torture. I like the color of your crane!

4. melissa August 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

You’re making your way through this list really quickly!! Of course, you’ve been bad and you’ve left the biggest projects for last (paying off credit card, cleaning out basement)!

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I know, I know. And I am definitely procrastinating on the whole basement thing.

5. Lila Ferraro August 24, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

You are hilarious. Good for you for making that and having a list! I’m seriously considering doing this too!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

6. Sue August 24, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

it’s beautiful! well done.. :)

7. Funnelcloud Rachel August 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Looks beautiful! Congrats on checking another item off your list – I love making lists like yours, but am usually so bad about actually doing the things on the list!

8. Catherine August 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Beautiful. :) I had a thousand cranes at my wedding made by my best friend and maid of honor. There were our only decor (other than flowers) and it was perfect. :)

9. kendal croix August 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

lovely. i havent made one one far too long.

10. Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d August 24, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

i recently learned how to make paper cranes, too. I made a shadow box of cranes folded from 1 inch squares.

ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com

11. iris August 24, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

The more you make the easier they become! 1000 goes by faster than you’d think :)

12. Jen K August 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Well done! I especially like the subtle soft curve of her wings. We like using paper cranes as Christmas tree decorations. They sit gracefully on the needles.

13. Brittany August 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

What an adorable goal! And it came out beautifully!

14. MB August 24, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

That’s awesome. I tried making those with 20 four year olds a while back. I think during naptime is a very good idea.

15. Valerie August 24, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

So, I am wondering how you decided to put this on your list. I know that when I was making my list (http://alanandval.blogspot.com/2010/08/30-by-thirty-today-marks-5-months-until.html) I had a hard time figuring out the last few things, so I am wondering how you came up with this item!! Good job by the way, it’s beautiful!

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

I’ve just always wanted to make one. I think it’s good to have some fun but easily achievable goals, along with the really tough ones!

16. heartarz August 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

We had 1000 gold origami cranes on a LARGE black (sprayed) tree branch. Made by my Aunt Helen. It was quite dramatic.
    I still have a string of cranes hanging in my home and several more we use to decorate our Christmas tree as garland every year.
    After 30+ years it had brought us much good luck and love.
    Only 999 left…if you start now, you could have them done for miss Eleanor’s wedding…someday?

17. Leah August 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

So cute! Love it just by itself!

Luvs!

18. Amanda August 24, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

And whatever will you do with it? I am very curious to know where you will place this sweetest paper crane in your gorgeous home?

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

It’s staying in the dining room hutch for now (where I photographed it).

19. Piper August 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm #

I love seeing lists like this 30 before 30 – so fun and such a great idea! The crane is adorable – and seems like it would be kind of a zen activity. Hmm, I’ll have to give it a try!

20. Ann Wilson August 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

Way to go! I thought that your first one would be pink. If you want to have a thousand, ask all your readers to send them in. Maybe if we made a lot, they would cover up the ceiling in your basement. How about stapling white muslin or quilt backs to the ceiling to make it lighter and cozier. If I was near you I would come to help you clean it up.
    I learned to make these when I was nine. Turn yours upside down, pull the wings apart a little, one in each hand. Blow into the little hole and the body of the crane will puff up. I am going to be sixty five in 16 months. Should I do 65 before 65? the question is, how did I get so old so fast. Ann

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

I love that idea for the ceiling! And yes, you should make a list. Any age is a good age to do so!

21. Allison August 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

I love the little detail of the curvature of the wings. That finesse is something one loses after about 10 of them (let along 1000). That’s the beauty of just one. Great job!

22. Elissa, ebb & flow August 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

i love the thirty before 30 series. setting goals can be so rewarding, especially if they involve adorable paper cranes!

23. Sandy August 24, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

Having recently started a 1000 crane project myself, I can completely sympathize with the difficulty. What size paper did you use? It came out VERY lovely for your first. Mine looked… perhaps like it accidentally ran into a tree would be the best way to describe it. :) Oops.

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

I used a sheet of 8.5×11 paper cut down to 8.5 inches square. I think the sheet was a little too thick though (nice Paper Source paper), and some of the folds toward the end got a little difficult.

• Sandy September 7, 2010 at 11:42 pm #

I hear you on that. I’ve been using 6×6 scrapbooking paper that is not cardstock. I was worried about using good paper lest it be too thick. Your came out wonderfully though.

24. Jen August 25, 2010 at 1:57 am #

I recently made a paper crane mobile. It’s very calming to fold the cranes – my mobile is nowhere near 1000 cranes (more like 50) – but it makes me so happy! Good for you for crossing off another task!

25. Sarah @ Natural History August 25, 2010 at 2:36 am #

I love it! The house we stayed in on our holiday in Virginia this year (a long way from Oxford, but that’s what you get for marrying an American) was full of little origami cranes & I meant to learn how to make one – you have inspired me to follow through – I hereby undertake to make one before Sunday!

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Yay! It wasn’t too hard, and YouTube is full of how-to videos. :)

26. Jenni August 25, 2010 at 5:20 am #

When I was in year 6 at school our class made 1000 paper cranes. I had completely forgotten about that until I saw your lovely little crane!

27. Samouk August 25, 2010 at 7:41 am #

hi,
    I’m sure You get lots of those, but I will try anyway :)
    Maybe would You like to have some fun with blog-tag
    “10 THINGS I LIKE THE MOST” ? it’s popular right now on polish blogs, I was tagged and now I need to tag someone- may I tag You :))
    what You need to do is:
    1. write down who tagged You
    2. list 10 things You like the most
    3. tag someone !

Hope You like it :)

28. Rudy August 25, 2010 at 7:53 am #

That’s wonderful. I tried so hard to make a paper crane once and managed to so spectacularly fail it’s laughable. Good on it.

29. Katie August 25, 2010 at 10:04 am #

I am impressed….i attempted to fold 300ish for my wedding in June and after gathering friends and providing wine, we got about 10 (sad and deformed) cranes in and gave up.
    Haha….yours is beautiful!!!

30. Keatley & Co. August 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

If you make a lot of them, you could string them together like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nachtvlinder/4712021190/

• Making it Lovely August 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

They look great strung together like that, especially with those colors.

31. Shaun Stevenson August 31, 2010 at 10:27 am #

I’m hooked on your site now!! Love it. Your soo creative. I’m a wannabe hehehe

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » 30 Before Thirty - August 24, 2010

[...] Make an origami paper crane. (Done!) [...]