Style: November ’10

Clearly I’m looking forward to the holidays. Velvet! Sparkle! Gold! Ruffles! Although, I tend to dress this way on normal days sometimes too…

I love dresses like this one paired with black tights because they’re effortlessly stylish. There’s a maternity version here, but it might need cinching in the waist. Red nail polish would take this look over the top, so I’d wear pink to keep it sweet and a little more casual. Plus you’d look so cute when you pull out your ‘best-ever-oh-my-god-where-did-you-get-that’ pocket mirror! (That was a shameless plug for my own shop, I know.) Lilac earrings and a fuschia velvet clutch add a little more color, while the shoes and ring bring in the shine.

22 Responses to “Style: November ’10”

1. Katie @ explanation required November 16, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Ooo, love this look. One of my favorites of yours!!

2. Diana Smith November 16, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

I love reading your blog! You are so pretty and you have the best style ever. I always look forward to your posts!

3. Rebecca November 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm #

I NEED those Mary Janes!

4. Jess [tenpenny splendid] November 16, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

That dress is adorable! And I love the Anthro shoes. They have the cutest selection!

5. Kristin November 16, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I love this dress! It’s perfect for a maternity look too and I’m so glad you linked to both. The tights are a super find too. Have you had any luck finding brown full panel tights this season? I am expecting as well and have had a hard time finding good options. I know you seem to be on the pulse with these things. :)

• Making it Lovely November 16, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

I’ve only seen black and gray. I usually just wear regular (non-control top) tights in a larger size while pregnant.

6. Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons November 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

Bring on the sparkle!!!! <3

7. Staci November 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

I love those shoes and the dress! However I’m not sure I could pull it off… Love the maternity version although not in the market for one ;)

8. jbhat November 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

Very festive. What I love is that you accessorized right down to the nail polish, with great advice about making a smart color choice to avoid looking too-too. You are good!

jbhat

9. Elisha November 16, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Great post! I especially like the crushed velvet clutch. The dress would look great with a skinny belt to match the clutch.

10. Zoe November 16, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

I have the same question as Kristin – any good sources for maternity tights? I would love to feel cuter than I do now, stuck in the one pair of maternity jeans I have and a pair of “housework” jeans that are too big normally… I have some cute dresses that I could wear but it’s getting too chilly!

Zoe from A Quick Study Paper Goods

• Making it Lovely November 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

Try a regular pair in a larger size! I’ve had good luck doing that.

11. Shuchita November 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Love your website (read it daily and keep refreshing my page in the hope that a new post will appear soon as I finish reading the last one !)

I love the clutch and the pocket mirror :-D

Oh a question, how long do your tights last ? Mine end up with holes in them after just two outings :-(
    Is there a secret to wearing tights ? I cut and file my toenails religiously so it can’t be the nail snagging the nylon.. sigh… pls help !

• Making it Lovely November 16, 2010 at 9:26 pm #

Maybe it’s the quality of the tights you’re buying? Or are you putting them in the washer and dryer? Mine tend to last a long time, often a couple of years. I do put mine in the washer (gentle setting, in a lingerie bag), but I hang them to dry.

12. natalyn November 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

I love that dress and that jewelry! You always put together the cutest outfits.

13. Savvy in San Francisco November 17, 2010 at 1:28 am #

The whole outfit is great, but I am especially loving the Kate Spade clutch!

14. Tracy November 17, 2010 at 4:51 am #

Love the bag so much!

Would love to see you do a budget style post some time.. like give yourself a dollar limit perhaps!? That’d be fun.

15. Maria November 17, 2010 at 7:30 am #

Love your blog, you are so creative and energetic. Thanks for sharing!

16. katie November 17, 2010 at 11:08 am #

i always LOVE your style posts. this one especially makes me wish i had an extra couple hundred dollars to spend, and somewhere fancy to go during the holidays!

would you mind if I shared this on my blog? I’d link to here and give you credit, of course.

17. katie November 17, 2010 at 11:57 am #

Love whole look!

But I’d want the dress a bit longer and I’d cinch it with a cute belt. My curvy frame just can’t rock the no-waist look.

18. Sam November 18, 2010 at 10:07 am #

So excellent. Excellent dresses and jewelry. I am going to have to get some to my pal Erika Strumsky’s birthday! whoaaa