Eleanor’s Second Birthday Party (Complete with Rainbow Cake)

We celebrated Eleanor’s birthday on Saturday. You’ve already seen the invitations, so you know I was going for a colorful kind of party. The Marimekko tablecloth and colorful gerbera daisies were a good start to the decorations.

The main attraction though? The rainbow cake. My mother-in-law helped me with it. We followed the Martha Stewart / Whisk Kid recipe; She made the cake layers and I made the frosting and assembled it.

That cake was a smashing success! Delicious and very pretty.

The paper mobiles above the table were made according to these instructions (I used card stock instead of vellum).

There were twenty balloons scattered everywhere, but somehow I missed photographing them. I got a giant gold “2″ balloon too (like these), but it blew away! Here are a few paper daisies hung in the window.

These polka-dotted paper straws were cute, but odd to drink out of.

You know that rainbow-colored, yarn-wrapped “Happy Birthday!” banner that I was going to make? Yeah, that didn’t happen. It was taking waaaay too long and I had to scrap it, so I used a “Happy Birthday” banner that we already had on hand instead.

And I filled my elephant teapot with more gerbera daisies.

Happy second birthday, my sweet little Eleanor.

69 Responses to “Eleanor’s Second Birthday Party (Complete with Rainbow Cake)”

1. Nicole May 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Adorable! I love what you’re putting out lately. All this and you have a newborn? Yay you!

2. Sierra May 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

What a pretty party, well done!! I’m sure Eleanor loved it!

3. Alisa May 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

OMG, your posts are so gorgeous. Happy birthday Eleanor! She is sooooooooo cute!! And the colors on your site- so beautiful, they almost make me cry. She’s a lucky baby (toddler)!

4. lyptis May 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

So cute! No wonder the cake was a success, it looks absolutely stunning. It must have takin you ages! The combination of the tablecloth/cake, that picture nearly gave me a seizure, coz it’s so colourful and stripy.:)

5. Katy May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

that cake looks fabulous! I’m impressed with how well it turned out!

6. Emily May 3, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Perfect baby girl birthday party, lucky Eleanor!

7. Zoe, Conversation Pieces May 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

So beautiful… I love it all! Especially the cake and the gerberas :)

8. Maggie May 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Love it! I’m using this as inspiration for the ice cream social I’m throwing next month for my three-year-old (also named Eleanor, by the way)!

9. jja May 5, 2011 at 4:10 am #

Wow, this cake looks amazing!!!

10. Amy May 6, 2011 at 12:22 am #

Can’t belieeeve it’s been a year since her 1st birthday party!! The cake (everything, really!) looks marvelous.

11. becky June 7, 2011 at 10:33 am #

That is the coolest cake I’ve ever seen.

1. A Twist on the Rainbow Cake: Fourth of July Cake! | Family Kitchen - June 22, 2011

[...] cakes have hit full-fledged trendy status (I even made one for my daughter’s second birthday), and it’s easy to see why they’re so popular. They’re adorable, and if you frost [...]

2. Neon Tween Birthday Party Theme | Making it Lovely - August 22, 2012

[...] it isn’t pastel or overly cutesy, but it’s still fun and colorful. Something like a rainbow party might feel too young because you know, they’re soooo grown up at that age (can you hear the [...]