31 February 28, 2012

Making it Yours 8: Leather Chesterfield

I’ve been working on a new edition of Making it Yours (MiY). I haven’t had one up since August, so for those of you that aren’t familiar with the series, let me explain the concept.

A home doesn’t come together overnight. You may start out with hand-me-down furniture, and slowly incorporate pieces you love as you’re able to. Or maybe you find an amazing vintage dining set that is perfectly you, and so you incorporate it into several different looks that speak to your changing taste over time. That’s how my home has evolved, and likely yours as well.

The MiY series follows one piece of furniture through several different designs. In the past, I’ve shown one item through five stages. Moving forward, I’ll only be showing three looks instead. I think it’s more realistic, and the shorter series length will allow me to do them more often and with a greater variety of items.

This eighth edition features a very expensive leather chesterfield. Before you react with a visceral “OMG, it’s $6000,” keep in mind that this series is meant to be taken as a jumping off point, with concepts that you can use in your own home. My friend, Jules, has a similar sofa, and I assure you that she did not spend anywhere near that amount when she bought it off of Craigslist. Perhaps you don’t like leather at all, and in that case you should feel free to imagine these looks with a tufted fabric sofa. Either way, I hope you enjoy the series! It will start with a very masculine look…

Kylie @ All Things Lovely
    February 28, 2012 at 5:28 am

Oh holy goodness!! I love that sofa! Can’t wait to see how you use it in the different rooms. :) PS Loving the new blog design, yours always has been my favourite blog designs.

February 28, 2012 at 7:52 am

So glad to see these again! It’s my favorite thing you do!

Emma Assin
    February 28, 2012 at 9:18 am

since august the child, or since august the month? :)

Making it Lovely
      February 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

Ha! Since August, the month. But August, the child, has been partially responsible, taking up my time and whatnot!

February 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

No, not $6000. $175, if you can believe it.

Kathryn Humphreys
      February 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

February 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Leather Chesterfield. I never knew what my favorite style couch was called until now. Thanks for that.

Leather Chesterfield might also be the coolest band name ever.

Making it Lovely
      February 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

An excellent band name.

February 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ha, yes! Great band name! I’m not usually crazy about leather sofas, but I sure do love this one.

February 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your new blog lay out. It’s wonderful – each post is like a magazine article. Love the columns and the “full spread” photos.

Making it Lovely
      February 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks, I love the columns too. I set things up so that I can choose to use them or not on a post-by-post basis.

Rebecca S.
        February 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Is that a particular WordPress plug-in or did you do it with custom coding? Thanks! I really like the new layout as well.

Making it Lovely
        February 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It’s all done through custom coding (CSS).

February 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

Lovely! I was just considering a leather sofa! ;)
    And i definitely adore your blog style

February 28, 2012 at 11:22 am

That couch is amazing!

February 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

The green leather makes it! I love an iconic piece in a new colour/fabric. I took some Barcelona chairs and recovered them in a grey suiting fabric – the reupholsterer was a big aghast but they turned out great…

February 28, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love these featurettes. The chesterfield is gorgeous, I love it when people take traditional almost ‘stuffy’ pieces like this and stick them in a fun eclectic modern room. looking forward to what you put together.

Elisa @ What the Vita
    February 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Adore chesterfields! I once saw one on craig’s list for FREE. Insane. But sadly I was too late to grab it…

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home
    February 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Ooh, I love that you’re using a chesterfield! We found a gorgeous one at Jubilee Furniture in Carol Stream last year, and for a STEAL. It’s such a bummer we didn’t have a place for it in our tiny condo!

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home
    February 28, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Ha, I just looked up my old, old post on it:

I think the tag says $50! What the?! I love Susan and Jubilee!

February 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm

love that sofa!

February 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My local anthro has that sofa on display in a slate blue – gorgeous. i told my husband about it. we don’t need one/don’t really have space, knew it’d be outrageously priced, blah, blah, blah. anyhow, a few days later, a home decorators catalog came in the mail with a strikingly similar sofa in an awesome blue. my point is, there are less expensive options. btw, i’m still not buying one.

Make and Do Girl
    February 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

What a fantastic idea to show the evolution of a look. I absolutely love this one! Do you go about staging each look with things you already own or do you borrow them? Either way, I adore the concept and can’t wait to see more with this awesome sofa.

Artsy Forager
    February 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Fabulous way to show how versatile unique pieces can be!

Making it Yours 8C: Leather Chesterfield | Making it Lovely
    March 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

[…] it Yours 8C: Leather Chesterfield March 1 Bookmark or Share 0 comments Making it Yours follows one piece of furniture through several different looks. We’ve already seen this green […]

Making it Yours 8A: Leather Chesterfield | Making it Lovely
    March 6, 2012 at 3:11 pm

[…] February 28 Bookmark or Share 35 comments Here is the first look in the eighth edition of Making it Yours. I like to imagine a story arc for each step in the series…Tom is an English lit professor in his […]

Making it Yours 8B: Leather Chesterfield | Making it Lovely
    April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

[…] it Yours 8B: Leather Chesterfield February 29 Bookmark or Share 18 comments Making it Yours follows one piece of furniture through several different looks. We’ve already seen this green […]

Making it Yours 10: A Traditional Red Rug | Making it Lovely
    April 23, 2013 at 12:28 pm

[…] M, referencing the eighth edition of Making it Yours, recently made a request for the next […]

A Chesterfield, But Not | Making it Lovely
    October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am

[…] tufted, 70s-inspired seating is trending right now. Usually leather, but not always. Like a classic chesterfield and a Ligne Roset Toga had a baby that went Alex P. Keaton and stiffened up. OK, so maybe a little […]