29 May 2, 2012

Three Years Old (Eleanor’s Yearly Photo)

I took a monthly photo of Eleanor in the same Eames rocker, in the same spot in my living room, every month for two years. (I’m currently doing the same thing for her little brother, August, but in a different room.) I kept her outfit simple so that the focus would be on her as she grew, not what she was wearing. When I came to the end of my two-year project, I decided to keep the tradition going, but to switch to yearly photographs at that point.

My baby girl turned three on Sunday. Here is her yearly photo.

Previous Photos
View the Entire Series

Amy
    May 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I can’t believe she is three already!! I love seeing her personality come out in the photos, thanks for sharing them with us!

Sarah @ craftnclutter
    May 2, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Gosh! She’s grown up so much!

I wanted to thank you for the great idea. I was reading when you started and tucked the idea away for “one day when I have kids,” and now I’m coming up on taking my daughter’s 11 month photo! :)

Making it Lovely
      May 2, 2012 at 5:21 pm

That makes me so happy! I love to hear that other people started photo projects of their own, too.

Whitney
    May 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I absolutely love these!

If you have any thoughts for a photo project like this when a person is adopting an older child (3 years old), I’d love to hear them.

Making it Lovely
      May 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You could still do birthdays, or any day that has meaning, like the first of the year, or a photo before the first day of school each year. I wrote a post with some tips a while back that you may want to check out for ideas.

Rachael
      May 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hey Whitney,
      I know this isn’t a photo idea, but when my cousin was adopted, my aunt had everyone she knew send her a copy of their local newspapers from his adoption day. That way he can see how the country (and the world) was way back when.

Just something to think about!

Jody
    May 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Aw, I love her little bangs! I’m definitely doing this when I have my little one.

Fiona
    May 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm

She’s adorable. It goes so quickly, doesn’t it? (Says the mother of an almost-five year old.)

JC
    May 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm

LOVE the 3 year old dress! Can I ask where it’s from?

Carrie
    May 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm

How, oh how, is your baby girl 3 already?! The years just fly!

Danielle
    May 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I remember when she was in your belly! Happy birthday Eleanor!

erica p.
    May 2, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Her three year photo is really sweet. This is such an amazing project, I’m sure your children will love these photos when they are older!

Cheltz
    May 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm

It’s so fun to see her pictures side by side, Nicole. Sometimes we forget how our children used to be until we see a picture. 3 is one of my favorite ages, I’m sure that you’re loving all the funny little things she does.

P.S. I personally have seen a handful of copycat photos like these around the web. (In Eames rockers even!) look what you’ve started!

Jacky
    May 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Three years, holy crap!! I have been following along for over three years. Man time flies, like I need to tell you that. Love the photos.

Valerie
    May 2, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Matty’s turning three next week, I’ve been looking at pictures of him since he was tinee-tiny, and boy does time fly. It just fascinates me how a baby can grow up and develop his (her) personality and entertain our lives like we never thought possible (today Matty said to me that he was willing to swap me for an alligator, ha!)

Best wishes to the Birthday girl :)

Katie
    May 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I think I like the yearly shots even more than the monthly. Eleanor is quite the cutie – love her chic haircut too.

kate
    May 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm

In the photo with the 1 she looks like August. How adorable are your kids!

Arezoo
    May 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm

So sweet…so adorable:):*

jbhat
    May 2, 2012 at 11:27 pm

But wait! Weren’t you just out there, very pregnantly painting the porch floor just the other day?? I guess time flies; it must be because she’s having so much fun. Look at that smile!

Congrats to all of you. It’s fun to be 3!

jbhat

A Walk in My Neighborhood | Making it Lovely
    May 3, 2012 at 12:09 am

[…] in My Neighborhood May 3 Bookmark or Share 0 comments We needed flowers for Eleanor’s photoshoot, so she and I took a walk to the local florist.If there’s an upside to Chicago’s six […]

nicolette @ momnivore's dilemma
    May 3, 2012 at 12:14 am

good god. i’ve been reading your blog for so many years now…that i remember you being pregnant…

my youngest is a few months shy of eleanor…3 should be a stitch…

pve
    May 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

I wish I had done this with my twins. They are 19, is it too late?
    pve

spark
    May 3, 2012 at 6:45 am

Oh she is just beautiful your Eleanor! Like so many of your other readers I remember when she was in your tummy – crazy how time flies. I really like how your photographs capture the personality of your kids. Very inspiring!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators
    May 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

I love that her smile at 1 year old is still the same at 3 years old. Happy birthday Eleanor!

funkytime
    May 3, 2012 at 10:10 am

lovely photos!happy birthday!!

He He
    May 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hi from Spain. My little Anabel (7 months) has the same dress. It made me smile.

Haylee
    May 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm

What a cool idea. I think this last picture she’s changed the most. Well ok second most, obviously next to the baby picture. She’s adorable, I’m going to remember this idea for my kids. What a fun way to see them grow!