Keynote Speaker at BlogPodium

This has been a Lovely Life List kind of week. I was in Toronto (cross the Canadian border, check!) to give a keynote speech (check!) at BlogPodium, Canada’s first and only design conference series for bloggers. The event was created by Jennifer Flores and Lindsay Stephenson and focused on the business of blogging.

I’m shy and awkward in social situations, but I actually like public speaking. Giving the keynote at BlogPodium felt a lot like the online video courses I’ve been teaching for Alt Summit. I prepared in the same way, by structuring my talk around the presentation I created, and the hour-long format was the same. The big difference, obviously, was in being able to see my audience.

It was good though! You know, except for the part where I tried to leave the stage with the little remote for advancing the slide presentations. I was nervously fiddling with it throughout my speech, and I walked off with it. I only got a few feet away before I realized it, hence my expression in the photo below. (See the remote in my hands?)

The panel after me consisted of Cheryl Kozoriz, Laura Muirhead, Lindsay Stephenson, and Cheryl Dovey, and moderated by Leigh-Ann Allaire Perrault. They spoke further about the business of blogging, and touched on the differences between American and Canadian bloggers.

Toronto has an amazing blogging community (I wish we had something like it in Chicago), and I had a great time meeting and spending time with so many Canadian design bloggers. Thank you, BlogPodium, for having me!

All photos by Mango Studios

35 Responses to “Keynote Speaker at BlogPodium”

1. Adriane /// The A & B Stories May 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Nicole, you were AMAZING. You were poised, well-spoken, and SO knowledgable. We couldn’t have asked for a better key note speaker!!

Meeting you was so amazing, thank you for being so very cool :)

2. NicoleD May 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Congrats! Way to check things off the list :)

3. Kaylynn May 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Nicole. You were wonderful. Thank you so much for giving such a great speech. You were funny and quirky and I took away so much.

I especially liked the code humour (something I can appreciate fully) – and the puzzled faces sitting around me.

• Making it Lovely May 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

Ha, yeah I had to restrain myself from getting too detailed with the code stuff there!

4. Michelle @ Sweetsuite10 May 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Thank you nicole for coming to speak to us! I learned so much from your talk.
    Looking forward to your next alt class too!

5. Mary-My Life in Scotland May 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I wish we had something like this in Scotland. They’re trying to get something started but there aren’t enough people signing up. I’d really love to go get some training! I bet you were great.

6. Janet @House Four May 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Nicole you did a wonderful job. Very informative speech!
    And….i didn’t get to meet you but have to tell you….you have the most beautiful, infectious smile. So genuine :)
    Thanks again for coming!

7. Sandra May 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

I wish I could have been there! Next year….funnily enough, Alt Summit is closer now than Toronto.

And happy that you crossed a few life list-y items off. Love how you match your blog too – the ultimate in branding, eh? <—-Canadian-speak

• Making it Lovely May 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

My blog matches my outfit matches my house matches my blog… It’s not on purpose, I’m just consistent with the colors I love. :)

8. Tiina May 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I wish I could have been there!

9. Kate May 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I wish I had been there ! I am a blogger from Australia and don’t even know if we have much of a blogging community let alone a conference ! It sounds like you did an amazing job !

10. Chedva May 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

That sounds like an amazing experience, and I’m sure you were wonderful!

11. Sarah Gunn May 30, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

You were so generous with your experience and knowledge. I learned so much. You have a new fan. Even though you didn’t like the poutine. ;)

12. Brittany May 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Your talk was fantastic! Learned a ton and you were lovely! (didn’t even notice the remote stealing :P) Will definitely have to look into some of the Alt talks! Hope you’re having a lovely week!!

13. kristin May 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

What an amazing accomplishment! Congrats!!

14. Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet May 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

What a fantastic opportunity! Wish I could have been there; but I’m sure you were great :-)

15. Sarah @ Redesigning Sarah May 31, 2012 at 8:47 am #

I loved your presentation – it helped so much to understand some of the terminology and different opportunities that are out there! Thank you for sharing in such detail your experiences.

16. barbara@hodge:podge May 31, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Nicole,

Your talk was so incredibly enlightening and informative. Love how your blog started out as a way to communicate with your family and now it is a huge success!

Again, it was a pleasure to meet you and enjoy two evenings with! Glad you enjoyed Canada. Now you need to come to the west coast, Vancouver!!

17. Lindsay May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Nicole, I loved listening to your presentation. Thank you SO MUCH for coming in for the event! Toronto loves you and we’d love you back. xoxo

18. Bonnie Morscher May 31, 2012 at 11:25 am #

I’ve been following your blog for years and just wanted to say how beautiful and poised you look. Your sense of style is so distinctive, but what I really like is that you seem so comfortable in your own skin, something one doesn’t usually achieve so young. Congratulations on knowing what you want and going and getting it. It’s gratifying to see young women out there making a difference (and making it all so lovely).

19. Holly May 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

I was following some of the Tweets coming out of Blog Podium and was also fascinated by the strong group and community of design bloggers in Toronto. We have a group here in the Philadelphia area that I’m a part of, Philly Social Media Moms (PSMM), but I wish we had a specific group or event geared toward design bloggers (maybe I’ll have to put that on my to-do list). You got a well deserved glowing review from your keynote – so congrats to you and for knocking another item off of your LLL.

20. christine {bijouandboheme} May 31, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

I thought you did an amazing job- seriously one of the best keynotes I’ve ever heard- I learned so many things about monitization that I didn’t know before and have already put some changes into motion- thank you, thank you! And PS, you and are are colour sole mates I think- pink and gold is always my favourite:) xoxo

• Making it Lovely June 6, 2012 at 2:16 am #

I’m so glad it was helpful!

(And pink and gold are the best.)

21. Linda January 18, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

Hi Nicole, Love the top pink you are wearing! looks so elegant specially paired with that white pant, where did you get it?

• Linda January 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

I meant pink top, sorry for the typo.

• Making it Lovely January 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Thanks. I think I got it from The Limited. The white pencil skirt was from there too, but probably from a decade ago.

1. Scientific Botanical Prints | Making it Lovely - June 4, 2012

[…] Even the less girly among us can appreciate a good bloom, no?A few people, in writing about my keynote at BlogPodium, noted that I had dressed to match my blog. My branding. The truth is that I’m just […]

2. A Lovely Life List | Making it Lovely - September 8, 2012

[…] to swimRead 100 classicsHave a conversation in FrenchProfessional / CareerPublish a bookBe a keynote speakerHave a monthly column in a magazineCollaborate with someone on a kick-ass creative projectStart a […]

3. A Look Back at 2012 | Making it Lovely - January 14, 2013

[…] roller derby ladies. I learned that maybe I don’t have such a black thumb after all. I gave a keynote speech (and visited Canada). I met and interviewed Martha […]