My Life Parenting

Eleanor’s Girl

I wanted an American Girl doll when I was a kid. Not just any doll though — I wanted Molly. My mom and I would look through the AG catalogs together, and I know she wanted to get one for me, but we couldn’t afford it. Thus, when Eleanor asked for this 18″ Götz doll last year for Christmas, and I was happy to oblige. It was her big gift from Santa, but only recently has she grown more attached to it.

Eleanor and Her Doll

The doll is the same size as American Girl dolls (and from what I understand, made by the same original manufacturer), so we have a dress for it from AG, and a few other things from Target’s more affordable Our Generation line. We ran into an obvious problem with the doll after Eleanor brought it to my mom’s house for a sleepover though: she had no PJs! Oh, what a world.

Determined to solve this pressing matter, my sister came with me and Eleanor recently to the American Girl store in Chicago.

AG

We had never been, and the amount of stuff you can get from AG is overwhelming. Eleanor wanted the pajamas we came for, plus more clothes. Plus a bed. Plus a dog, a cat, and a friend for her doll. At first, I was steadfast. We came for doll pajamas, and we were getting the pajamas! “Maybe for your next birthday, maybe for Christmas…” was my response to most requests. Then, because I am crazy, I started to think that ‘hey, I never did get an American Girl doll when I was a girl. Maybe we should get one, and Eleanor’s doll can have a little friend. And awwww, look how cute Molly’s mini Jenny Lind bed is! Just like Eleanor’s!’

So I bought her the pajamas. And the bed. And hell, I bought her Molly, too. What am I, made of stone? (The correct answer is money. Apparently, I am made of money.)

Dolls

And you guys, of course she thinks Molly is my doll. (Because it kind of is?) But happily, August has claimed it as his own, so now each kid has their own to play with. Eleanor’s girl gets the coveted spot next to her bed though. In the matching Jenny Lind.

Mini and Full-Sized Jenny Lind Beds

You Might Also Like...

Stacy
    June 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Oh this is why it is good (sad) that I didn’t have a daughter!

Asia
    June 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm

‘Apparently, I am made of money’ lol. When I first started reading I though, ‘Oh, Nicole is going to sew PJ’s’… then I was like wait, ‘This is not a sewing blog’…

Making it Lovely
      June 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I have dabbled in sewing though… I should give it a go at some point! It can’t be much worse than making Halloween costumes for the kids, I assume. Or are tiny things harder to maneuver and sew?

Asia
    June 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Oh, and show me your new house already!!!!! I am going crazy over here!

Making it Lovely
      June 26, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I want to share it! I’m crazy in love with it and I want to plaster it all over the blog! We’re still waiting on some paperwork and negotiations to finish up though. I’ll share it as soon as I can!

Laura Beth @ Perched on a Whim
    June 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

You were not alone in your own desire for a Molly doll, but there were complications around her being my favorite. See, my childhood best friend was named Molly, had brown hair, and her mother braided her hair into the distinct AG Molly braids each day. She sort of had dibs by default.

And my favorite part of this post? The lines that got me laughing out LOUD! “And hell, I bought her Molly, too. What am I, made of stone? (The correct answer is money. Apparently, I am made of money.)”

meg fouts
    June 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I always read your posts…I never reply but always want to! I love this post – it made me smile having 2 girls of my own. I wanted to have will power too when we went to the AG store. We left with original dolls having ears pierced, outfits and both girls getting another new doll! I feel your pain! I love your style! keep up the good work – I follow a lot of blogs and don’t have much time to read them all. Yours is one of the three I never delete and read. Thanks for entertaining me! :)

Carrie Lea
    June 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I wanted Molly, Samantha and Kirstin. I got Samantha and Kirstin but no Molly. (Yes, I was VERY lucky. Also, my parents very much followed the guidelines of the recommended age of 9. Samantha was my 9th birthday present. I think my parents saved for 2 years.) I think my fascination/obsession with all thing WWII time period are a result of no Molly. I still want Molly.

When did Molly get a Jenny Lind bed? She used to have a big oversized red upholstered headboard.

Michelle
    June 26, 2013 at 5:32 pm

When I read that you went to the AG store I thought, “uh oh!”. Personally I wanted a Samantha doll, but not enough to save up for one (also I became aware of their existence around age 12 so I knew my doll-time was limited). FWIW, AG items were one of the first things my little sister saved up for (the dog).

Korianne
      June 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm

You picked a good time to get Molly! AG just announced they are going to archive her this year. And her bed is actually brand new! She had a red one before. They came out with they yellow one this year.

Odds and Ends ← A Place for Stuff.
    June 26, 2013 at 6:42 pm

[…] at Making It Lovely, they’re talking about American Girl dolls, the wildly expensive dolls that most of the […]

shelley
    June 26, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE this post! Nice work mama, pat yourself on the back. She’ll likely remember that special indulgence for the rest of her life.

Camille W.
    June 26, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Like you, I wanted an AG doll growing up and we couldn’t afford one. I have 3 sisters, we all wanted one. Now I have 3 daughters (5, 4, 21 months). When my daughter turned 5 in December, instead of a party, we went to the Los Angels AG store for a girl day, and she chose a doll, we let my (at the time almost) 4 year old choose one too. They are a bit young yes, but they sure love those dolls, and maybe I love them a little too much too. Their grandmothers bought them accessories and matching clothes and PJ’s for Christmas presents.

I read all the AG books as a kid. I’m looking forward to reading them with my girls soon!

Anne
    June 27, 2013 at 2:29 am

Both are such cute dolls, and I looove the yellow bed! Having had Götz dolls myself, I can tell you that Götz / Goetz and American Girl dolls are NOT from the same manufacteurer. Götz is a German company, AG US one. They’re not related in any way, but may be produced in the same factory over here in the US.

PS: When do we finally get to see your new house!! So excited over here!

Julie
    June 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I LOVE this story. I have a Molly doll too! She’s all packed up and (hopefully!) preserved for my daughter someday. Thanks for sharing!

robin
    June 27, 2013 at 5:35 pm

An FYI: I just received an email from AG that Molly, her best friend, Emily and all their accessories are retiring soon. Thought you’d want to know. Yes, I receive AG emails. My daughter has Julie and Saige.

bethany
    June 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm

my mom totally got an american girl doll for herself (actually, my dad got it for her for christmas one year). i am pretty sure it was THE GIFT that christmas. as a child, i loved that my mom had a doll too. ;)

Honor Roll | Making it Lovely
    June 28, 2013 at 2:51 am

[…] like we got Molly just in time. American Girl is about to retire her, and with her, their historial […]

Jillian
    June 28, 2013 at 8:45 am

I had Molly as a little girl, and I believe she is still hanging out somewhere in my parents’ attic (I hope). I just read the article you shared about the retiring of the original American Girls. I think that is so sad. My sister, friends and I were totally obsessed with their stories, and we learned so much about history from them. I would pour over the new catalog every time it arrived…they were so beautifully arranged that they couldn’t help but inspire the imagination. I think it is a poor decision on Mattel’s part.

Amanda
    June 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

I had Samantha growing up, and my husband and I stumbled upon Kirstin at a Thrift Store and happily paid $20 for her. Now Samantha and Kirstin are both retired, which makes me feel like an old lady. :) I can’t wait to surprise our daughters with them when they are old enough to appreciate how special they are!

Heather
    June 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm

AG dolls and their stories were such a huge part of my girlhood! It makes me happy/sad to know that AG dolls still exist, but not the original ones so near and dear to me. I was 8 or 9 when Felicity came out, and my parents took us on a special American Girl-themed vacation to Colonial Williamsburg built around the release of the Felicity doll. There was an entire week of tea parties, dress-up dances, and events in the historic district that were absolutely magical for my sister and me. I remember thinking it was SO COOL to see the real places and people that were detailed in Felicity’s stories. It is one of my happiest, most treasured childhood memories. (We also took a Laura Ingalls Wilder-themed vacation. No Disney for us…my family was waaaaay too nerdy for that, ha!)
    I remember feeling so grown-up when I lovingly packed up my Samantha doll and all her furniture, clothing and accessories for my “some-day daughter.” No daughter yet, but I still open up the boxes every so often to check on everything, and make sure she’s ok. :)

Laurendy
    July 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I asked for a Molly doll for every gift giving holiday and birthday for over 4 years. I finally got one for Christmas 1991. . . and I still have her. . .

She lives on a doll stand in the corner of my bedroom, and my mother still occasionally surprises me come Christmas with a new outfit for her. . .

Oh, and yeah. . . I’ll be 32 next week.

Holly
    July 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

I just gave my Molly doll to my niece for Christmas this past year. She absolutely loved it. I sat down with her and told her how my grandmother gave the doll to me, and now my grandmother isn’t around and I wanted my niece to have it. Her eyes lit up when she heard Molly used to be mine, and I’ve gotten reports that she tucks her in every night before she goes to sleep. There’s something supremely special about those dolls!

Jen R.
    July 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

You are not alone! My daughter and I promised to “run in real quick” while we were visiting Chicago for the day during spring break last year (she has 4 brothers so needless to say, they didn’t want any part of it!). We came out with Molly and her accessories, and I seriously wanted to buy Emily for myself. There’s something about that store that pulls you in. :) They are only little once and someday they won’t want to play with dolls anymore so I’m just not thinking about the money and treasuring the special moments.

• 1 2