Aqua or Pink for Eleanor’s Ceiling?

I started painting the dark blue walls in Eleanor’s room last night. I’m writing this as I wait for the second coat to dry, and soon I’ll head back up for a third.

Paint Swatches, Finishes, and Fabrics

The color (Sherwin-Williams Loyal Blue) goes on like Chagall’s America Windows, but it will be darker and more navy after a good 3-4 coats. The ceilings in yesterday’s mockups were all the same color as the walls, but that’s not the plan for the room. I’m trying to decide between aqua and pink, and I will eventually use metallic paint to stencil the ceiling with a star pattern, similar to Osborne & Little’s Coronata Star Wallpaper.

Aqua, I think? The pattern in the mockup is a placeholder — pretend there are stars there. And I “painted” the side table. (Oh, Photoshop. You make it all so easy!)

Eleanor's Room - Paint Colors - Aqua Ceiling

The room needs a big, brassy light fixture. When pinned this one to my lighting board months ago, I liked it but didn’t have any use for it. Now it would be perfect in E’s room, but I’ve waited too long and it has been discontinued. If someone out there knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Glass Star 24 3/4" Wide Antique Brass Pendant Light

To complicate things, here’s the other option. A pink ceiling looks awesome with the pink rug and bedding. With a hot pink nightstand instead of turquoise? I’d be out for the pom pom trim, but the sconce is returnable and might be another good opportunity for more brass.

Eleanor's Room - Paint Colors - Pink Ceiling

I’m not sure I’m loving that sconce anyway. It’s a candidate for spray paint, but its ultimate fate will hinge on what ceiling light I find for the room.

103 Responses to “Aqua or Pink for Eleanor’s Ceiling?”

1. erica October 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Aqua! And lighter, patterned curtains to contrast the dark walls!

2. Celia October 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

Pink and brass sconce. Love the ceiling fixture, hope you’re able to find it.

3. Emily October 10, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Pink hands down!

4. Laura October 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

I like the pink too!! I am thinking about wallpaper or stencil on my dining room. Do you have any amount of texture up there? Her room is shaping up so cute! Can’t wait to see the final! LOVE that light

Laura
    House Envy

5. Lara October 10, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Aqua all the way! I’m a little obsessed with tone on tone colors right now, but this really does look much more sophisticated and less likely to be something she’s sick of in a year. Plus, if she changes her mind about the walls, the ceiling will still look great with aqua and stars no matter what the wall color is. I’m loving that pom pom trim in your first picture, and am excited to see what its fate will be. I agree the curtains should be lighter, maybe a pattern that will complement the stars? And what wall art will you put up? Framed Eleanor art? Or something whimsical or modern?

6. trixxie October 10, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

I’m actually not feeling either the pink or or aqua with the the wood trim. My thoughts:

1. I say paint the ceiling the same color as the wall and do the stars.
    2. Big brassy light fixture and sconce…current sconce is cute but too small.
    3. Sorry but those drapes are a design killer and aren’t working w/ any of your options. White drapes w/ pom pom trim (same color that you use on the bookcase)
    4. Spray the curtain rod w/ brass paint and lower it.
    5. Leave the night table white and paint the bookcase either hot pink or turquoise (I think I’m leaning toward turquoise to offset the rest of the pink in the room).

• Amanda October 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

And this is basically what I was going to say. Though I do LOVE the pink ceiling. But I don’t think the end table should be the same; perhaps white or something light. The curtains are a no go in all scenarios; do a light curtain with pom poms as trixxie said.

7. Alyssa October 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

Pink FOR SURE!!! It keeps it girly and feminine and that side table looks amazing pink too:) you’re right about the sconce, it sort of looks out of place, brass would work much better:) just my opinion though!

8. Sara S October 10, 2013 at 11:24 pm #

PINK!!! And I love the ceiling fixture, but I’d love it even more if the brass was painted a bright glossy fuchsia!

9. Susan October 10, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

I vote pink for the ceiling, a brass sconce, the side table in either a pink or turquoise (ask Eleanor!) and that pretty Pom Pom trim in there somewhere, for sure.

10. Katie M October 11, 2013 at 12:42 am #

What about this fixture?

Also I am feeling the aqua all the way, it really lets the white bed, pink bedding pop.

11. Antonella October 11, 2013 at 3:39 am #

I vote for PINK. Feminine and fun. And brass lamps for sure! :-)

12. Kristin October 11, 2013 at 7:03 am #

I vote aqua. The pink in the ceiling and bedding seems to break up the room too much & make a navy sandwich. The aqua seems much more sophisticated…though maybe you don’t want to encourage that this early!

13. Amelia October 11, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Aqua! Not loving same color on the bedding and ceiling (Kristin’s sandwich comment above is right on.)

14. Sarah @ 702 Park Project October 11, 2013 at 8:05 am #

I think the pink would make it just girly enough, without being tooooo girly! And I still think some aqua accents would look good with the pink ceiling. Good luck deciding!

15. Jessica @ Sunday Loves October 11, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Love the aqua. While the pink looks nice, I agree about the sandwich problem. I don’t love the sconce either. I think you need something else.

Also, I somewhat agree with Trixxie. The drapes aren’t doing the job. They’re very Pottery Barn boys room look to me. Incidentally, I’d love them in my boys’ room! LOL

I actually think a tailored roman shade with some airy white drapes with pom pom trim would be much better suited for the room.

And yes, as much as I’m not a fan of brass, I think a brass rod will work better with the fixture you’re thinking about! And it’ll work well with the wood!

16. Jen K October 11, 2013 at 8:34 am #

I vote pink. To me it seems more you but maybe it’s supposed to to more Eleanor in which case she should choose!

17. Shannon @ Fabulously Vintage October 11, 2013 at 8:38 am #

PINK!!!!!! :)

18. Heather October 11, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Aqua! Love the light fixture too. I would think about different drapes – they look heavy and seem to drag the room down.

19. stephieZ October 11, 2013 at 8:59 am #

I say aqua…and the curtains need to be changed out. They look too heavy.

20. Emily October 11, 2013 at 9:06 am #

Seriously, you can’t go wrong. Both adorable. Use both! I agree to change out the curtains. A fun pattern with pink in it and make the ceilings and accent turquoise, pink rug. Just my thoughts. It’ll be great.
    or

21. Emma October 11, 2013 at 9:59 am #

Both ceiling colors are so cute!

I’m curious why you are using both dark blue curtains and a dark blue wall color. I wonder if a curtain in a contrasting color (white, pink, turquoise) would pop from the walls more and make the room less dark?

22. merlin513 October 11, 2013 at 10:20 am #

My vote is for aqua, what does Eleanor think?

23. Aryn October 11, 2013 at 11:05 am #

What about gold ceiling, pink stars?

24. Heather October 11, 2013 at 11:07 am #

pink ceiling 100%. But keep the aqua pom trim and sconce!

25. Natalie October 11, 2013 at 11:47 am #

I was leaning toward pink, but I think I actually prefer the aqua. It’s the pink duvet that’s throwing me. I think the pink ceiling makes the duvet work in the room, but overall I prefer the aqua ceiling. Maybe with a white duvet? (Same pillows, though, because they are all awesome!)

26. Dee in BC October 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

Go Pink!

27. Rachel H. October 11, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Definitely pink! I’m not even a big fan of pink, but I think it looks best with the dark blue walls.

28. Ashley October 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

I say Pink!

29. Tiffany October 11, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

I liked the aqua until I saw the pink ceiling with the pink rug combo. LURVE!
    So I say pink!

30. Holly October 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

I actually really love the aqua! It opens up the space more than the pink does.

31. Leng October 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Oh my heck – YES to the pink! Looks amazing :)

32. Amanda October 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I vote pink. I think it’ll balance out the dark blue, make it a little more girly, and will look great with the bedding.

I agree with the previous comments about the curtains – it doesn’t seem to work with either scenario.

33. Erin October 11, 2013 at 8:42 pm #

That’s funny, I just saw this post about bras light fixtures on this site: http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-light-fixture-for-parlor.html?m=1 pinkhelps warm up the room a little I think.

34. Catherine October 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm #

Ha! Can you post a final vote count? I like the pink for contrast, and it balances out with the lighter floor. I have navy blackout curtains in my older son’s room (he’s a terrible sleeper so I’ll try anything), and we got them from Amazon. They have other colors, too: http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Insulated-Blackout-Curtain-Set-PINK/dp/B001A60SXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1381546951&sr=1-1&keywords=blackout+curtains+kids

35. HDog October 11, 2013 at 10:39 pm #

Nicole, dude, go with the aqua or the gold like someone else suggested. You don’t want a pink ceiling and pink rug. And the rug is great and (already bought?) so….

36. Sandy October 12, 2013 at 9:20 am #

I love the contrast of the pink with the blue walls!

37. Elizabeth October 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

I think your vote is split about 50/50, which should tell you that you can’t go too far wrong either choice!

But my two cents is this: I don’t like the aqua ceiling with the pink bedding/rug. If you’re planning to switch up the soft furnishings, you can find something that plays well with a soft aqua. And I’m going to add another vote for changing the curtains. I recall that there were practical reasons for choosing them, but surely you can find another solution (a roller shade with paler curtains?).

38. Alicen October 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I like the blue ceiling and accent table, and think that bringing some aqua onto the bed in a pillow or throw would help make the pink bedspread not seem so out of place. The aqua seems to work better with the chartreuse accents you have around the room. I have to agree with some of the people above about the curtains and the sconce. I think it is the shape of the sconce, not its color, that is throwing me. And, usually I’m all about hanging the curtains high, but it seems to throw an odd line in with the picture rail. I like the idea of a roman shade, perhaps in an awesome patterned fabric with pink, blue, aqua, and maybe even some chartreuse and/or red.

39. Haley J. October 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

Pink ceiling all the way. The aqua looks too much like an aquarium. I like that the pink warms up the blue and also adds a touch of femininity without screaming “GIRLY!” Definitely go with a brass sconce in that situation. Brass is a glorious accent for navy.

40. Kris October 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm #

Pink on the ceiling, but aqua on the table.

41. stefani October 13, 2013 at 4:32 am #

Not pink because Eleanor says “yuck” on pink. What about white ceiling with gold stars with white curtains with pom poms. Or high gloss or metallic ceilings which I just saw featured.. Aqua if we must but the curtains really don’t work in any scenario. Keep furniture white at least until everything is settled.. The lighting options don’t seem to work together but love the brass light hope you find it. The cat photo needs to find a new home as the yellow/green is really throwing me off. Switch out rug . Clouds, night sky, stars, cozy

42. mia October 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

I’ve been following you for years so I trust your eye. But I am throughly confused with this room. Curious to see how this turns out!

43. caitlin October 14, 2013 at 1:47 am #

piiiiink. its way more sophisticated.

44. Michelle October 15, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Have you checked out Shades of Light? These have a similar feel to the fixture you picked out, though they are smaller:

45. Andrea October 17, 2013 at 9:31 am #

I just saw this light fixture on a blog today and thought of you. It’s not a pendant but it is star shaped and brass: http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=2745

46. Betsy Johnson October 21, 2013 at 9:23 am #

absolutely AQUA. overall, a smarter color palette. And goes nicely with the pink. Going wit only pink and navy is too simple, too amateur.

47. brooke November 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

I saw this light at Ballard designs too! Have a great week!
    Brooke

1. Dark Blue in Eleanor’s Room | Making it Lovely - October 16, 2013

[…] as I imagined they would, softening up the room without drawing too much attention to themselves. A lot of comments were calling for patterned curtains, but there is already pattern on the bed, there will be stars on the ceiling, art on the walls, […]