Where to Put the Nursery

The new baby will sleep in our bedroom for the first few months. After that though? We’re not sure yet.

We’re lucky to have a lot of space to work with in this house, though some of it is oddly configured from when the home was chopped up into three apartments. There is a bedroom on the third floor that’s ready to go, but it isn’t ideal. (I’m using photos from when the house was empty in this post, because I feel like it’s less distracting and easier to visualize changes that way.)

Third Floor Bedroom

Third Floor Bedroom

The room is 12′x14.’ It has major eaves to contend with and no closet, but our big concern has to do with regulating the temperature up there. We moved into this house in late August and only experienced a few weeks of late summer heat. The house stayed fairly cool with window unit air conditioners during the hottest days, but I still worry that the room is going to be too warm. And even if the heat isn’t a problem, do we want to run up constantly for a year or more when the baby cries at night? We could avoid that by switching one of the kids’ current bedrooms for a nursery and moving either Eleanor or August upstairs, but I feel guilty about that. Like ‘sorry kid, you have to live in the attic now.’ (I mean, it’s a perfectly fine room that just happens to be on the third floor, but you know. Parental guilt is a powerful and sometimes irrational thing.)

Two kids could share a room of course, but we have enough space in this big old Victorian for each child to have their own. Another option would be closing off the room that’s adjacent to our bedroom, but we’ve come to really enjoy that as a family space. So I came up with a brilliant solution — although Brandon is not convinced of its brilliance yet. If we turn the former kitchen on the second floor (a sort-of craft room right now) back into a bedroom, we could all sleep on the same level. Eleanor and August both stay put in the rooms they’re in now, and the baby gets the new space.

Second Floor Kitchen

We would have to remove the sink and its cabinetry, remove the water and gas hookups in the room, and close off some of the doorways. Easy enough. We would likely demo the wall of cabinetry, too. It could be reused as built-in storage (drawers for clothes, cabinets for toys, etc.), but it looks very kitchen-like, and freeing up that wall for furniture placement may be better for a bedroom.

Second Floor Kitchen

Ah, but then it wouldn’t be quite that easy! The wood flooring in that room is newer than in the rest of the second floor and it’s slightly raised, so it’s likely that it was laid on top of the old stuff. That’s fine, but did they go under the cabinetry? My guess is no. The flooring would probably need to be addressed.

Also, the hallway would need to be reconfigured, which means we lose the built-in storage that’s there. That is the main reason Brandon isn’t convinced of my plan.

Built-in Storage Next to the Bathroom

The bathroom itself only has a medicine cabinet for storage, so we fully use and appreciate the extra drawers and cabinetry right outside its door. The back stairway is on the other side though, and the kitchen serves as access to those stairs and a bedroom. The house’s original layout would have had the hallway continue uninterrupted, and that’s the layout we would be returning to. We’d lose the built-ins and gain a fourth bedroom on the second floor.

Possible Reno Plans for Second Floor Kitchen

We’re still thinking our options through, so we haven’t figured out exactly what all of this would cost yet. We could do a lot ourselves, but realistically, I’m a pregnant lady and we already have two young kids underfoot so we’d have to hire out for at least some of it.

My mom suggested doing the conversion in stages. We could demo what absolutely needs to go now, smooth the walls and paint, and just live with the weirdness of having to pass through the baby’s room to get from one side of the second floor to the other. Then in a couple of years when we’ve saved up a bit of money again, we could finish the renovations. When I was a little girl, my younger sister’s bedroom could only be accessed through mine. We shared a room for many years in an apartment after that, but then in another house, I had to go through my sister’s bedroom to get to mine. So maybe my mom and I are biased toward making weird spaces work?

What do you think? Third floor bedroom? Convert the easier room next to our bedroom (and keep the second floor kitchen as-is)? Go all-out with changing the kitchen back into a bedroom and opening up the hallway, or do the work in two stages?

149 Responses to “Where to Put the Nursery”

1. Tamara March 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

I second keeping the sink. Would be fab for diaper changes! My suggestion would be to have the baby sleep in the room off yours and keep this room as a family area where you could hang out and play and change the baby!

• PJ March 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

I vote the same way. Having all those cabs and a sink for a changing area, toys, etc, would be incredible!
      the sink counter would make an amazing changing station!
      So no demo needed. Just some furniture moving around.

• Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm #

Yes. I definitely agree to keep sink. Would be a great benefit. A bathroom can be seen from your photo. Why even bother shlepping when you already have access? Also shelving in middle, w windows, that could make a wonderful changing station! Seems as if you have a few ideal options Nicole. With your talent, make it lovely w decorating!

2. emily @ cabin fervor March 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

I don’t have a great handle on your floor plan, but my vote would be to convert the current TV room into a nursery. It sounds like a much simpler and less expensive option, plus it’s easily accessible from your room. Plus, then you wouldn’t lose your nice built-in storage (a perk of owning one of those old Victorians) or your potentially great studio/craft room — the upstairs kitchen with its sink, ample cabinets, etc.

Since you have the two parlors downstairs, is there a way you can configure a TV in one of them that is comfortable for your family and aesthetically pleasing as well?

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

We can move the TV downstairs easily enough.

• Elisabeth March 27, 2014 at 6:01 am #

My first thought was also to convert the current TV room into the nursery. The upstairs kitchen would make such an amazing craft room. It has great character and that would sadden me to see it transformed. Also, you have to consider the time, money and sweat required. Is it really worth it when another room is available? Once the children grow older, maybe one of them would prefer the privacy of the third floor. Anyways, having a parlor and a TV room in the first floor makes more sense to me than having two parlors.:)

3. Jessee M March 26, 2014 at 1:06 pm #

First off, CONGRATS!!!! I’m excited for you guys!

Secondly… I am the oldest of four kids and I have always had a room on a different level than everyone else because of it. I never minded and actually loved it. Especially the older I got. We lived in a house with almost the exact same floor plan as this one and I had the attic bedroom. It was awesome!! Maybe asked E is she wouldn’t like it up there? It would save you tons on renovation costs! :)

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

We asked E, and she was pretty hesitant. She really likes her room where and how it is. August would probably be the one to go upstairs, but he’s only three.

4. karla March 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

All I see when I look at those pictures is a changing table under the windows, and a place to wash your hands after a diaper change! Talk about perfect! The rest can be changed later. Adding rugs, a crib, rocker, etc will create warmth and take away that kitchen feeling.

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

There is a sink right across the hall in the bathroom too though!

• Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

Yes! I observed that immediately. Love it. So much space to store everything. An amazing lifesaver with a new baby! My poor niece is constantly struggling to find space w 2 kiddos. Second bebe was a daughter. Things are tight. Let alone clothes, you wouldn’t believe the toys! Yikes.

5. mudslide cookie March 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Could you switch your bedroom with the “brown town” room and then use your current bedroom for the nursery?

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

We like our bedroom where it is. If we’re getting rid of the brown room, we’d just make that the nursery.

6. Karen Combs March 26, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

My three grown girls would have given anything for an attic room growing up- Consider that!

7. Lisa March 26, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

My older sister had the “attic room” in our house. Us younger kids were always incredibly jealous of her getting an entire floor to herself in spite of the always fluctuating temperature and animals scurrying through the walls regularly! That being said she was older than your kids when she first moved up there. I can’t imagine that my 4 year old would handle it well.

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

And Eleanor doesn’t really want that room (she likes hers a lot), so it would probably be August up there. He’s only three.

• Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

My great nephew Eli is 3. No way would he be separated from his mama! Haa. Too young.

8. Rebecca | Seven2Seven8 March 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm #

I am another vote for keeping the built-ins and putting baby in the room adjacent to the bedroom. I think the built-ins are really pretty, and could be so useful (including the one in the hall), and you don’t lose “family” space this way. I like the attic as craft/family space, private and separate from your “public” family spaces.

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:55 pm #

The built-ins are fine — they just say “KITCHEN” to me because they are exactly what we have mirrored in the kitchen downstairs.

• sandi (near you) March 29, 2014 at 12:33 am #

Oh those cabinets and wood….have you heard of Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint or Anne Sloan Chalk paint?? Those cabinets would be awesome in a color and new hardware that would totally get rid of the “K” look. The paint is way simple to use – no VOC, no messy prep. Nothing like your SW or BM paints.

Now as far as all this which room stuff – have the baby, experiment, which one should ultimately serve what purpose and then execute a plan so you’re not sorry having made changes now.

• Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

You can fix it up to look non-kitchenie Nicole. Give it a try. Moving things around comes second nature! Got to think of things being easy on you also. Eleanor and August should definitely keep their spaces.

9. Deb March 26, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

August may be fine with moving upstairs. BUT…Just something to think about…I volunteered to move to another floor when my youngest brother was born. I was even excited about it, but once there, I felt so displaced and separated from the rest of the family. Just some food for thought. If you’re going to do that, do it now, and see how it works out. That way, he won’t feel like maybe the baby took his place.

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:56 pm #

Thanks. We had a similar transition with Eleanor at the old house and made sure to put a little time between her switching rooms and her old room being the baby’s.

• Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Ditto! Sounds right.

10. Amy J. March 26, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

You’re idea! I mean, it’s really a no brainer. I realize the built in is cool and all, but seriously who needs a whole second kitchen upstairs!? I would do what your mother suggested as well! The pass through/hall doesn’t have to be done right now, but a room for the baby? Um, yeah! The attic wouldn’t be a contender for any of my kids if they were under the age of 5!

Now…my one thing is that I think I’d leave that wall of built ins!!!!! Do not take them out. I think you could reconfigure at least the upper cabinet part into bookshelves and that would be AN AWESOME feature in the baby’s room!! ALL.THAT.STORAGE!! OMG…heavenly for a kid’s room!

So, summing up. You are right. You’re husband is wrong, lol (though I appreciate his fondness for the built in). I don’t think it would cost that much really…but for the flooring situation, but that just can’t be helped. If you had to, you could just pull the newer floor up and put down prefinished flooring…or…just for the time being and it might be cheaper…have underlayment placed if the floor is uneven where the cabinets came out and get some nice carpet laid just until you can afford to address the floors better in the future!!

Again…REALLY consider keeping those cabinets. I can already see a room set around that wall for a child just from your photos!

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

I’m fine with keeping one set of built-ins or the other, but there’s no way to create a hallway, keep the bathroom storage, AND keep the kitchen cabinets without creating a very narrow, awkward room. Or we have to use the baby’s room to get to the stairs and to another bedroom.

11. Janine March 26, 2014 at 1:37 pm #

Having parents and kids on the same floor is apparently super desirable and very functional. So, if you say that you can fit the entire family onto the second floor, I would definitely go for it.

Instead of filling doors in, why not close and lock the doors, then put a piece of furniture in front of them? I’ve seen people do that and it’s such a fun look. I would say “ooo preserve the character of your house ooo” but your house has all the character. Houses like yours are hogging up all the character so that the rest of us have to live in new build houses with no character because CHICAGO ATE ALL THE CHARACTER. *shakes a fist*

I looked at your post “the rest of the second floor” and this room: what are its dimensions? In the pictures in this post, it seems very big, but there’s definitely some distortion from the camera lens and maybe it’s actually medium/normal size.

Also, what’s on the other side of the cabinetry that’s providing storage for the bathroom? There’s a window back there, and… another room? I’m wondering if you even want to have a hallway heading back there. Maybe THAT extra room, if it’s poky, can be baby storage or could be a baby walk-in closet, or could be a future “secret room” for a kiddo. It could be cool if it’s not accessible to anyone but Baby 3.

I would like to note that my thoughts are predicated on how I always feel like expectant women should have it easy, and shouldn’t have to live through demo if it’s going to be annoying to them.

• Making it Lovely March 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Ha! Yeah, we’ve got character out the wazoo. The kitchen is about 12×12, but the wall of cabinetry takes up almost 2′ of depth. The back room you see is another bedroom, so that’s why I’m concerned about having a good way to access it.

• Janine March 27, 2014 at 9:43 am #

I see your point about the cabinetry, if it’s taking up 2 feet of floor space. And that back bedroom, would you even use that? Would it be a guest room or something? I mean, making it accessible makes sense (A+) but if you don’t actually have a use for it now, you could use the bedroom back there as the baby’s closet. That way the bathroom would keep its storage.

Also, it would allow you more time to decide if you want to maybe someday do a renovation of that small bathroom to make it bigger, to give it proper storage of its own. (Although, if Hygge & West/Rifle Paper Company wallpaper goes in the bathroom you’ll NEVER demolish a wall! LOL)

OR! Or! This is a good option: you can remind me that I just moved into a house and maybe I would like to decorate/strategize my own house? It’s a thought. LOL Maybe less time “helping” Nicole, more time unpacking boxes? Hahhahah but seriously I really should deal with my own fixer upper.

12. Tara March 26, 2014 at 1:38 pm #

I would make the current family room (aka brown town) the nursery. I would convert the attic to a large and comfy family/tv room area. The old kitchen could become a really awesome and large bathroom/linen closet. Losing the storage would be a real shame.

13. Amy J. March 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Wait a sec…I change my vote. I wouldn’t do a thing to that room other than freshen up the walls etc…change the fixture and close those doors! Everyone who posted about the sink is right!!! At least until the baby is a year old…that big ole sink is where you bath him/her!!! OMG…how freakin great would that be!! A changing pad under that window and the baby’s bath things over there at the sink!!! Imagine a shelf above the sink filled with baby toiletries and supplies…a sweet print themed around bathing a baby!!! KEEP THE SINK too!! You could turn this room into a killer/unique nursery and it wouldn’t cost you hardly a thing girl!!!

I vote old kitchen conversion into nursery!!!!!!!

14. Andrew March 26, 2014 at 2:10 pm #

Your plan seems the most logical in ultimately creating the most functional space for your family. That said, the nursery was often connected to the master bedroom in Victorians, so using the “brown” family room would be a great option too, and perhaps in a year or two Eleanor or August would be more capable and excited about moving upstairs and another switch could be made? I grew up in a big family and it seemed we were always switching rooms. Think of it as more opportunities to redecorate!

15. kirsten March 26, 2014 at 2:12 pm #

As a kid, I actually would have LOVED a space like your third floor potential bedroom. Something really cozy-feeling and safe, like a cave/hideout/fort. I always preferred smaller rooms throughout my childhood, even though I was the oldest kid so I got first dibs when we moved (my dad was in the army, so that was every two years usually).

I vote for not changing the former kitchen! I love the built ins, though I do see how they severely affect potential layouts of furniture.

16. Melissa March 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm #

I was going to pipe in here with my two cents, but my ideas have already been shared. I love that you have a room next to your bedroom, the brown room, that is a great family spot. I wonder if the kitchen could be used for that purpose instead. While the built in storage may shout kitchen to you, I am sure you could do some tweaking or accessorizing that would make it feel unique to that room. I mean, think of the storage! Then you wouldn’t have to worry about the time and expense and headache of halls, doorways, storage and, let’s not forget the wooden floor project that would ensue. I know children on separate floors can be done, but it really is nice to keep family close. That being said, it isn’t my house, best of luck to you in your decision. And, I am really excited about the new look on board for your bathroom. Looks fun!

17. kelly g March 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

I vote kitchen for the nursery as well! I don’t really understand why you have to do the hallway reno? And while the sink may be practical… I’m thinking it would be a little (a lot) weird aesthetically and eventually a potential danger even. BUT please don’t take out the built-ins! I don’t think they look kitchen-y and they would cut down on the furniture you have to add to the room and you wouldn’t have to frame out a closet either. Storage galore! Either way though, I’m sure excited to see what you do!!

18. Amelia March 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm #

My two cents? From the photos the cabinetry looks really well made and high quality. My kitchen cabinets are complete junk (built of scrap boards by this house’s original owners in the 1960s), so any talk of demo-ing something so beautiful makes me feel a little sick. If you MUST remove them, could I persuade you to carefully remove them and donate them to Habitat for Humanity instead of just tearing them out and hurling them into a dumpster? Pretty please?

19. Vicki March 26, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

I say leave as is! What a great room. Baby isn’t going to care and can use it for a couple of years. By then, E or A would love the attic room – that could be such a fun room. And then you have the craft room back again.

20. Kris Mays March 26, 2014 at 4:21 pm #

I didn’t read all of the comments, so I don’t know if this was already suggested. But I would not demo the hallway storage. I would re-route the hallway through the kitchen/bedroom conversion.

Just build out that part of the interior of the room to make a jog in the hallway and use one wall of the build out for your door. Oh, and yes, I’d definitely use the sink area for a new closet. But I think to avoid changing out the flooring, because it is beautiful, IMO, I would keep the built ins near the windows. I think you can make them work.

My .02, anyway. We do a lot of re-configuring spaces, my husband and I.

21. Marcee ... ILLINOIS March 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Oh. I absolutely adore the storage cabinets in that hallway. Just so nice. Definitely helpful. All my old Marimekko linens would love that space!

22. Laura March 26, 2014 at 5:04 pm #

For fire safety I would want all kiddos on the same floor as our bedroom. I also would not want to touch the lovely built-ins. You may find that once the kitchen sink and appliances are out of that room and it’s been converted to a nursery that the built-in will look bedroom-y.

Having to go through a room – how quaint – would be part of the charm of living in an old house, I think.

We readers are all imagining ourselves in your place and loving it! What a wonderful opportunity you have and how we love that you share it with us!

23. Sarah March 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm #

Make the upstairs kitchen the family space and make the room next to your bedroom the nursery!

24. Kathryn S. March 26, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

What if you got rid of the sink and gas hookups and just removed the upper cabinets so the floor is still covered by the lower cabinets and you could use that as built in dressers.

25. Diana March 26, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Nicole – I am with your mom all the way on this one – save money – save stress – keep your family room and storage and do in stages. When walking through the room becomes an issue, then make a decision – little ones will be older and you will not be pregnant! You can do so much to prettify that room. I am in the ” remove sink” camp in order to make this work and be less kitcheny. Also, if those cabinets are not original, they are painting candidates! Just my 2 cents – no charge!!

26. hannah March 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

Oo – I think that would be a great built-in feature for a bedroom if you ripped out just the upper cabinets and left the lower as a giant built-in dresser! Then you’d have a sort of extended window seat over the drawers, and you wouldn’t have to worry about whether the flooring extends!

27. Haley J. March 27, 2014 at 12:27 am #

I think the second kitchen has got to go – sink, built-ins, etc. But, take your mom’s advice and give yourself the gift of time. Do the bare minimum you need to do before the little one arrives, and finish up as time and your energy allows. It will be awkward at first, but you don’t need the kitchen remnants, and it will eventually help return your house to feeling like a cohesive space for your family instead of reminding you that it used to be apartments. Plus, it’s very cosy to think of everyone having their rooms on the same floor. The attic would make a wonderful playroom or studio, and the current one could become more of a craft room if you went that route.

28. Catherine March 27, 2014 at 5:16 am #

It might have already been said, but I think the attic could be a really fun room for one of your bigger kids. It doesn’t have to be like the orphan’s room in A Little Princess! When I was little, I always thought friends with attic rooms were the coolest because it feels like a secret den or clubhouse !

29. Karen March 27, 2014 at 7:04 am #

My vote is use the kitchen as the bedroom. I understand wanting to pull out the cabinetry. But, I would rebuild useable cabinets in the same space (hanging closets on both sides with lower drawers and a window seat! I always wanted a window seat in my room (still do). Then you could pull out the sink and the crib/bed could go there (instead of building a closet). As for the hallway, I would wait and do that later when privacy becomes necessary. By that time, one of the kids might want to move up to the attic and then voila… you will have a library/playroom with a window seat AND can keep your storage.

30. Stephanie March 27, 2014 at 7:43 am #

First, congratulations on the baby news! Second, I die every time I see pictures of your gorgeous Victorian. Oh my gawd. For reals. I know that old houses have their perks, but I am so glad you appreciate the beauty of that house.

My two cents: don’t demolish those built ins!!! Use them! They are gorgeous. Leave them, please!

How about converting the attic into a super friendly family space and using that adjacent room as the nursery? As your family grows bigger, you might want a bigger space to hang out in and the attic might be perfect for that. Anyways, these are fun problems to have, no? :) Good luck!

31. Ellen March 27, 2014 at 8:01 am #

Make the second floor kitchen into the craft room and the sink will be a bonus. Make the brown room a nursery. Wait a few years and see where your then older children want to land. As long as Mama is near, babies don’t care a bean about surrounding or space. Read The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright (save for kiddos later) and you will envision the ex- kitchen as the hang out that family called The Office.

32. Rachael March 27, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Keep everything in the second kitchen, put the baby in the room next to yours. Soon enough one of the older kiddos will be begging to go in the attic room! : )

33. Nicole L March 27, 2014 at 10:38 am #

Does the third floor have enough spaces to make a master suite up there? Maybe not ideal with young kids, but a few years down the road a separate master suite might be just the thing! :) I can’t imagine one young child being on their own floor with everyone else on another floor…

Otherwise I agree with Brandon, losing that storage for your main bathroom would be a shame – five people with only a medicine cabinet? Yikes! Could the old kitchen become the family/TV room (and stay a walk-through) freeing up the current family room to become the bedroom?

Good luck deciding!

34. Stefan March 27, 2014 at 11:12 am #

The build in cabinets would be a wonderful reading nook. Remove curtains, install childproof locks on windows, add a cushion and pillows. Remove doors on upper shelves and use for books, toys, etc. You are always great at finding interesting knobs so switch the bottoms out for something fun. Get a small ladder- your older kids would love it. You can put a safety gate between the cabinets during the unsteady years and until the new little one learns where the edge is. Personally I would do the above and keep it an art/craft space. I know several family with large homes whom intentionally have their kids share rooms because they feels it is emotionally healthier and teaches valuable sharing/relationship skills. They only sleep in the rooms but encourage whole family play in play area thru out their property. You have wonderful opportunity to create lot of unique play spaces where kids would love to come over and play at the rainbow house. As they get older, they can each have their own special interest play room if you feel they need their “own” space. Just thoughts.

35. Priscilla March 27, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Hi Nicole!
    Looks like you have lots of suggestions to sort through – I’m sure whatever you choose to do, you will make it look lovely :)

If you’d like to read another opinion, here’s mine. ;)

Since you have the bathroom across the hall, the sink seems redundant and definitely a little “kitchen-ey”. Perhaps you could remove the sink and relocate it to the basement or other craft area since it has so much character? ;)

I think without the sink the other built-ins won’t scream “kitchen” especially filled with wonderful baby things. You might be able to do with out adding an actual closet by adding a clothing rack to the tall cabinets to the left of the window… Heck, you wouldn’t even need a dresser with all those drawers beneath the windows. Ok, I’m practically drooling over your built-ins. I’m a new mom and would LOVE a wall of classy storage in my nursery! :) I think someone else said this, but I’m also picturing a quaint changing station in front of the windows – maybe with a mobile??

I don’t know what to tell you about the hallway built-ins… Is there any way to re-locate them? My parents have an old Oak Park house too, and they have done the closed door/furiture placement trick to re-route rooms… Anyways – good luck with the process – how exciting! :)

36. Jen L. March 27, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

PLEASSSSSSE KEEP the built-ins!!!!! They are beautiful and that middle part would be a perfect little window seat for reading, playing (imagine it with a cushion and some cute pillows/stuffed animals). Also there is so much storage with those built-ins you wouldn’t have to worry about a dresser for clothes or any toy/book storage. I think converting this room into a nursery is a great idea – as long as you keep those built-ins (they can always be painted too).

37. Jessica March 27, 2014 at 2:08 pm #

Oh, goodness, I died a little when you mentioned removing the cabinetry. Please leave it all there! Work around it!

38. Lisa March 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

I would kill to have that room with the cabinets and the sink as a craft room/ art studio. I love the hallway storage too. You are lucky to have such a gorgeous house.

Lisa

39. itziar March 28, 2014 at 10:11 am #

congrats for the new baby!
    Lucky for having so many options,in my aparment of 95m2 i have no options for the nursery!

1. Piggybacking on Yesterday’s Post About the Nursery | Making it Lovely - March 27, 2014

[…] still thinking about where to put the nursery. I had something else planned to post today, but I’ll push it to next week instead. I looked […]

2. Progress? | Making it Lovely - April 7, 2014

[…] I don’t have curtains for the room yet though (because its future is uncertain while we plan the nursery’s location), so I hung a couple of mismatched, too-short […]