Decorating Style

Meet the Beetles

Are you enjoying the swan in the redesigned blog’s header? Because it was either her or a giant beetle. (Basically, what I’m saying is that things could have been a lot worse.)

Beetles are Cute.

I have a thing for birds and bugs in design. Both are a little scary in person, but they’re beautiful and I tend to gravitate toward art, fashion, and objects featuring either. That’s my favorite scarf above, along with a decorative silver rhino beetle I picked up last year, and a new brooch. You’ve seen embroidered bug pillows in the kids’ rooms, and I’m regularly informed by my children that they’re keeping a new bug as a pet (kept in various forms of toy cages and usually named “Fred”). I still regret not buying this dress and these earrings, but lucky for me, bugs are having a moment in the design world right now.

Ladies and gentlemen, the beetles! (Because bees and butterflies are a dime a dozen.)

Meet the Beetles

1. ‘Vulcano’ Semiprecious Stone Beetle Pendant Necklace by Daniela Villegas, Nordstrom

The rich ladies always get the best bug jewelry, don’t they?

2. Buggie Wallpaper, Abnormals Anonymous

3. Beetles Round Plate, John Derian

4. Spotted Weevil Beetle Wall Art, Wisteria

5. Dark Bug Switchplate Cover, John Derian

This is the kind of thing you get used to, but that will surprise and delight new guests. Much like a fake severed head in your kitchen cabinets.

6. Blue Weevil Beetle Wall Art, Wisteria

7. A Bug Print, Minted

8. Gold Beetle Brooch, Banana Republic

9. Green Beetle Brooch, Banana Republic

10. Longhorn Beetle Wall Art, Wisteria

11. Bugs Throw Pillow, Connie Goldman, Society 6

12. ‘Maat’ Sapphire Ring by Daniela Villegas, Nordstrom

13. Red Beetle Mirror/Pin, John Derian

14. Stripe Beetle Cuff Bracelet, Tiny Wild

Aw, look how happy bug jewelry makes me.

Nicole Balch, Making it Lovely

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Celeste
    March 3, 2016 at 2:37 pm

These are so graphic and cool! Though, I think the bug switch would legitimately frighten both my husband and me after dark. Just when you’re reaching for the light switch and you catch a glimpse of a shape out of the corner of your eye –the most terrifying of angles.

Virginia
    March 3, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I heart beetles too, especially because of the Animal Crossing currency connection I’m amazed you didn’t mention. :P I’m wearing staghorn beetle earrings right now!

Making it Lovely
      March 3, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Oh, I thought about it! You know I’ve identified bugs and fish correctly because of that game?

SFDC
    March 3, 2016 at 3:58 pm

You would love the exhibit at the Renwick Gallery here in DC right now. Bugs AND pink! http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/10/19/jennifer_angus_installs_insect_wallpaper_at_the_renwick_gallery_smithsonian.html

Ellen
    March 3, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Have you seen Laura Zindel’s pieces http://www.laurazindel.com/ ? I may be partial to the snakes, but there are lots of great bugs and birds, etc. Search the site for “beetle” and you’ll see what I mean! Asrai Garden on North Ave. carries her work.

Making it Lovely
      March 4, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I hadn’t seen them, but now I want a million of those vases with beetles and ants on them.

Mary
    March 4, 2016 at 7:13 am

Did you announce the bugs in your best Ed Sullavin voice? Lol

elizabeth
    March 4, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I love what you’re wearing in that photo! Can you share where it’s from?

Making it Lovely
      March 4, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Thanks! The lace top was from Madewell a few years back.

Sara
    March 4, 2016 at 3:18 pm

You’ve missed the best bug artist! Joyce Fritz of Yipes as been making bugs for a long time and she’s a Midwest lady (Wisconsin): http://joycefritz.com/

Natalie
    March 5, 2016 at 6:12 am

Oh gosh! I’m glad i’m not the only one with a fascination with beetle and bug stuff, also bees! If I was to win the lottery, i’d totally buy that first necklace.

Ashly Schilling
    March 6, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Where is the scarf from? The colors are great!

March 9, 2016 at 12:49 pm

You should check out the new line of embellished sweaters and tops at Banana Republic.

LKim
    March 14, 2016 at 9:07 am

I love this! I was looking for some ways to incorporate bugs and beetles in my son’s room- and now I believe they will find their way into my closet. Anything nature inspired or unexpected is a home-run for me- beetles check both boxes.

A Bedroom Inspired by a Pillow – Making it Lovely
    March 18, 2016 at 9:14 am

[…] and scattered amongst the leaves and flowers are caterpillars, butterflies, and beetles (you know how I feel about beetles). I liked the back, which isn’t shown in the product photos, even better than the […]

One Room Challenge: Week 6 (the Bedroom and Den Final Reveal!) – Making it Lovely
    May 11, 2016 at 9:32 am

[…] could have just bought a bunch of these (which I love), but after a good 12-15 hours of work, I got something nobody else will have. Perhaps for good […]