Attic Guest Room The Victorian House

Lambrequins and Bedskirts, Oh My

What’s old is new again. I’m pretty excited about a couple of traditional/granny details I’m bringing into the guest room.

The window in there is decently sized, but it’s low to the ground and beneath a steeply pitched roof. I stuck a bamboo shade in my paint color mockups as a placeholder, but that’s all it was intended to be. We can do something a little more fun, yes? I do like a good lambrequin and I’ve never had occasion to use one. Until now?

Something a little like this.

Two Twin Beds in an Attic Bedroom, Design by Phoebe Howard

Purple Striped Wallpaper and Two Twin Beds in an Attic Bedroom, Design by Phoebe Howard

(Fun to see two takes on the same style, isn’t it? Both rooms are by Phoebe Howard.)

So my pattern would come from fabric, not wallpaper. Then I could do a cute pom-pom bedskirt, or an equally cute one with scallops, but I’m into the idea of repeating the window fabric. Like so.

Pink and Green Bedroom with Striped Rug

I’ve made a crib skirt before — same basic concept. The lambrequin will be a little trickier to execute, but I’ll figure it out. Also, how clear is it from two of the three above photos that my room needs to be pink? Duh. It’s obviously the prettiest color and exceedingly lovely. I don’t know why I even considered anything else.

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

katwachter80
    June 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Agreed! A thousand times pink!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    June 26, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Oh wow, can’t wait to see it when it is all done.

Sarah V.
    June 26, 2017 at 3:55 pm

This is a great tutorial that may be useful to you.

Making it Lovely
      June 26, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Oh, Jenny at LGN comes through! Thank you, I didn’t remember her tutorial on this.

Brooke
    June 26, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Definitely pink! I love the window treatment idea. Now I want a house with slanted ceilings upstairs!

Sarah
    June 27, 2017 at 11:07 am

How do you think a lambrequin could work with a coved ceiling? I love the look, and it might be just the bit of “oomph” to punch up the windows in my dining room. Not sure how to line up to/reconcile with a corner that’s more of a curve, though.

Vanessa Bailey
    June 27, 2017 at 8:28 pm

“Lambrequin” a word I have never heard/read before! Thanks.

Ellen
    June 28, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Your window is low, so the lambrequin would have to be really big to reach the top of the window, as in the examples. That could be fun and cozy, but you could make a smaller lambrequin and cheat the height by using a shade in between the bottom of the lambrequin and the top of the window. A smaller lambrequin would also make the curtains longer and more visible which would give more height to the room. Lambrequin + curtains + shade sounds like a lot, but here are a couple of examples (though these are not under eaves and I suppose they are pelmets) http://atmedia.imgix.net/fadcb01c2dd99de726b5d2a1bee4d28f159276f7?w=800&fit=max and http://1e4tz0p9ghh32xupx3ji41ji.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/dhicks.jpg

HomesAndWeddings
    June 29, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Was not a fan of pink until seeing this post!

Peggi
    July 6, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Lambrequins…hmmm. I’m sure you will sell it! Pink? Head slap. (Also, yes to pompoms!!)