Decorating

Decorating with Peacock Taxidermy

There’s a title that is sure to appeal to all. Who isn’t looking for ways to integrate a peacock into their home decor?

Yesterday was the last Elkhorn Antique Flea Market of the year. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular, and by the end of the day I had only bought a shallow blue and white bowl for $1. There were lots of old wood bins and metal organizers. Plenty of antique dressers and some mid-century modern pieces. Splatterware, mismatched china, and colorful glasses. Cool stuff, but nothing I really needed to own.

Then I saw the vintage peacock taxidermy.

The seller wanted $800 at the beginning of the day (which is fair — I have price-checked mounted peacock specimens out of curiosity before). I spotted it at the end of the day as vendors were starting to pack up and I offered the $293 I had on me in cash. Sold! Dare I say this is my best flea market score yet?

Now I need to figure out where to put him. I’ve seen a few examples where it’s almost tucked away, like ‘this old thing?’ but they are equally fabulous on a fireplace mantel. Let’s look, shall we? I have shared this photo before.

Taxidermy Peacock on Fridge — Be Your Own Decorator, Susanna Salk — Photographed by Bjorn Wallander, designed by Annie Brahler
IMAGE: • Be Your Own Decorator, Susanna Salk • Design: Annie Brahler • Photography: Bjorn Wallander

Nonchalant in the corner. (I still have many butterflies that need to make their way into some sort of display too, maybe like that dome.)

Peacock Maximalist Decor
IMAGE: Architectural Digest, Spain • Design: RP Miller • Photos: Belén Imaz

Amazing on a fireplace with graphic patterned tile.

Peacock on a Patterned Tile Fireplace
IMAGE: Domaine • Design: Mat Sanders of Consort Design • Photography: Daniel Collopy

And Brandon says he can’t be worked into my seasonal decor changes! Psshaw.

Christmas Taxidermy Peacock on a Fireplace Mantel — Lonny
IMAGE: • Lonny • Photography: Genevieve Garruppo

I think I need to figure out a better perch for mine to give it some height. Fireplace? Tucked away? Not sure yet, but I’m pretty excited.

You Might Also Like...

Liz M
    September 25, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I love it chillin up high in a corner. My grandparents had a couple peacocks on their farm, and they were always hanging out up in a tree or on top of a tractor or up in the rafters of a barn.

theartofdoingstuff
    September 25, 2017 at 1:34 pm

That’s hilarious. I was at a huge antique market a couple of weeks ago and it took all my strength not to buy a taxidermy fawn. I found the dealer at another show this weekend and asked about it. He told me it sold at the first sale I saw it at. Admittedly I think a peacock is a tad more versatile than a fawn. Hard to perch one of those on the top of a stick.

Lisa
    September 25, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Oh my goodness, I am SO jealous! We have a vintage shop down the street with some mounted caribou heads (can you imagine them decked out around Christmastime???) but we don’t have the right wall space. A stuffed peacock would look amazing on top of my bookshelves though. I can’t wait to see what you do with yours! (personally I like him on the mantle)

Pikaeva
    September 25, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Nicole, this is absolutely ridiculous. I can’t even.

Jane Miller
    September 25, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Now how did I miss this at Elkhorn?? Love taxidermy and a peacock would be the ultimate for a Victoria home, congrats on your score!

Mudrick
    September 25, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Can’t wait to see pics of it!

Peggi
    September 26, 2017 at 5:55 am

HA! Don’t know who would love it more- my cat or my labradoodle! The mantle is a classic choice…how about your entry console?Every home needs a welcome peacock. For sure, the best score ever.

Kim Burdett
    September 26, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Love the mantel idea — or a really interesting plant stand could work too!

Sarah
    September 26, 2017 at 7:53 pm

I used to work in a natural history museum and shared my office with a taxidermied peacock I called Jules, mounted in full display. Eventually my office became too crowded for him, so I traded him for a pheasant. Pretty much all the offices has former exhibition taxidermy specimens. The education department had a cassowary.

Kimberly Westby
    September 28, 2017 at 9:29 am

COOLEST. How about a peacock pillow or other fabric item to “gild the Lily/ er Peacock”

Brenda
    September 29, 2017 at 4:50 pm

I saw one this weekend at an Antique Mall in Tacoma Washington after having just seen your Instagram about getting it…they wanted $1200 (firm) so I’d say you’re right – best flea market score!

Shawna
    October 5, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I didn’t know I wanted a peacock for my living room…until now! Love it!