The Living Room, Version 492

The Madeline Weinrib rug is now in place, zigging and zagging it up.

My Living Room

My Living Room

The room suddenly looks very pink. Maybe that’s a stupid thing to notice, seeing as how the walls are painted pink, but WOW the rug makes a big difference.

My Living Room

My Living Room

Of course, we had to keep Murray’s little fluffy rug.

My Living Room

Hopefully we’ll have time to hang our wallpaper soon in the dining room. I think the new rug might look good in there too, or in the bedroom. I’m happy with it in the living room for now though!

60 Responses to “The Living Room, Version 492”

1. Capree Kimball June 2, 2008 at 12:06 am #

Oh, wow! The rug looks great in there! What a beautifully modern living room!

2. puglyfeet June 2, 2008 at 1:48 am #

Beautiful — it’s so feminine.

3. angeline June 2, 2008 at 5:53 am #

Wow! just Wow!

4. cindy k June 2, 2008 at 6:41 am #

oh, i love your room and the zig zag rug really pops. your dress form is so wonderful. love the patterned chair, too.

5. priscilla June 2, 2008 at 7:25 am #

I think I need to see how Murray looks on the zig zags.

6. karina June 2, 2008 at 7:42 am #

I loooooveeee it!

7. Ophelie June 2, 2008 at 8:28 am #

Wow– that’s a really nice living room!

8. Katie June 2, 2008 at 10:29 am #

Ee! I love it! The dress form, the typography, everything. Where did you find that gorgeous yellow lady print?

9. SassyLeeQueenBee June 2, 2008 at 10:37 am #

GORGEOUS!!!

10. gesikah June 2, 2008 at 10:41 am #

Love the rug! And I am sooo jealous of the Astrid chair. :)

11. Mary June 2, 2008 at 11:04 am #

Yes yes yes! Best rug yet. I think it’s a keeper!

12. Making it Lovely June 2, 2008 at 11:24 am #

Katie, it’s a quilt from Dream of Stars.

13. Katie June 2, 2008 at 12:18 pm #

LOVE. What a fantastic rug! It looks great, Nicole!

14. Kristina June 2, 2008 at 12:35 pm #

Love your blog, but have always wanted to ask….

Does your husband love pink as much as you do?
    Does he play an active role in your designs?

My husband and I own an 80 year old house in Northeast Minneapolis and have touched every inch of it in last year. I truly wish we had the opportunity to document the process like you have. Well done!

15. Ames June 2, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

yumm…raspberry sorbet.

16. Making it Lovely June 2, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

Brandon doesn’t love pink like I do, but he doesn’t really mind it either. And he doesn’t come up with much for the house, but he does reign me in when I come up with ideas that are a little too far on the crazy side.

17. Liina June 2, 2008 at 3:26 pm #

I just came across this blog from the “Corners of my Home” flickr group. And I am so excited to look through everything! What a beautiful place you have! Your blog layout is fantastic, too. I have been in need of a new home blog to enjoy – so thank you!

18. kate June 2, 2008 at 4:43 pm #

Oh man, I am jealous you have that chair from anthro. I have been drooling over it for months!

19. andrea June 2, 2008 at 4:50 pm #

what a lovely room!

20. Tatyana June 2, 2008 at 5:57 pm #

It is so cool you are able to make your house your home. You have definitely made it lovely.(Sorry, that was cheesy.)I wish my husband and I could even own a house. Someday… :)
    I tried looking through the old posts, but I don’t seem to see anything on it.
    Where did you get the white lamps in the living room? I have been looking for a pair like yours for our bedroom forever.

21. michelle June 2, 2008 at 5:58 pm #

i am envious of that couch! and well, everything :) looks great

22. Chrissy June 2, 2008 at 6:11 pm #

perfection!

23. Jennifer June 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm #

I was wondering how your husband feels about the pink too!
    The rug looks gorgeous! I wasn’t sure if I liked it when I saw it in your previous post but really really like it now.

24. Danielle June 2, 2008 at 11:29 pm #

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new rug in the lounge. It looks so cool. I dream and wish my husband had even a little bit of pink love, I’m not even allowed to buy anythign with flowers on it let alone a hint of pink :P

25. decor8 Holly June 3, 2008 at 12:04 am #

I think I need to invest in a little Weinrib action!

26. brand-eye June 3, 2008 at 7:58 am #

the room looks great! i love that painting, where did you get it? it would be a perfect housewarming gift for a friend of mine.
    thanks!

27. erin June 3, 2008 at 10:35 am #

i’m jealous, i love everything in your living room! i wish my hubby was more accepting of pink! i’ve got 4 big red/pink scarf print pillows from urban outfitters from my bachelorette pad days that i love but will have to retire because he hates pink. sigh.

anyways the rug looks awesome! and it is a lot of pink, but its a nice pink! not overwhelming at all… still sophisticated!

28. ricci June 3, 2008 at 12:34 pm #

can you tell me where that rug is from??

xo

29. Making it Lovely June 3, 2008 at 1:16 pm #

I bought it at ABC Carpet and Home in NYC.

Brand-eye, the painting was a commissioned work from Amy Ruppel.

30. melissa lewis - off the wall June 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm #

So glad that Holly wrote about you on her blog today! I haven’t been here before and I’m so glad I found you. Love your blog!

Love that mannequin. I am obsessed with finding an antique one for my home!

31. A Merry Mishap June 4, 2008 at 10:24 am #

Lovely! I love the colors you chose, feminine but not girly!! It looks so fun, great job!

32. adrienne June 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm #

So classy, very nice. The pink is just warm, inviting.

Where did you get the “B” on the stand next to the TV? I really like it…

33. Herb October 9, 2008 at 9:43 am #

Great photographs of a great living room and an excellent rug. I admire your interior design skills post after post. Great job.

34. Julie January 26, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Can you tell me where you got yout coffee table? It’s been very difficult for me fining the perfect coffee table that’s not too expensive…

35. Lindsay February 2, 2009 at 12:43 pm #

Where did you get your couch? It’s exactly what I’m looking for.

36. Making it Lovely February 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

Adrienne, the ‘B’ is from Anthropologie.

Julie, the coffee table was by Thomas O’Brien for Target, but it’s several years old.

Lindsay, the couch is “Jasper” from Room and Board.

• Cynthia January 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

I knew that was a jasper and was reading your comments hoping I would find out for sure:) I just discovered your blog and I am seriously in love!!!!!!!!! Wonderful style!!!!!!

37. biznes February 17, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

I love this style and atmosphere that creates there. Pinky colors are just great.

38. Nancy March 24, 2009 at 10:13 pm #

What a lovely room! I’m also a very big fan of Madeline Weinrib and of pink! I live on the west coast so I haven’t been lucky enough to go to the ABC store in person.

I’ve picked up a couple of lightly used MW rugs. One is a 5′ x 8′ pink and cream Ikat and the other is one of her wide stripe rugs in beige and a pinkish, berry shade. This is the first time I’ve seen a photo of the zigzag design in a room and I really love it. I’m looking for a new sofa and I can see that the beige shade works perfectly. I’ve thought about doing blues or pinks in the living room of my apartment. I love her Brooke design as well.

If I ever won the lottery, I’d buy her wool Mulberry Mumms. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be in person.

When you’re in the store, does she have a much larger variety of colors to choose from?

BTW, I have a sweet Siamese who loves the Madeline rugs! ;)

I’m really enjoying your blog and you’re a wonderful photographer!

39. Tamara March 25, 2009 at 4:28 pm #

Your home really is LOVELY.

I have been perusing your blog looking for information about the thin wooden panel(?) you have around the perimeter of your living room (from which you hang your art)…I don’t even know what to call it, I have never seen anything like that but i think it’s so cool! Can you please point me to an explanation?

Thanks :)

40. heather June 12, 2009 at 12:21 am #

PLEASE HELP! I am painting my living room pink, and I am staring at no less than 6 ugly 2×4′ sample test runs on my wall! Could you please tell me which pink from which paint line you used?? I stumbled on your site tonight, and LOVE IT! Your pink in this project is perfect! Who knew the right pink was so hard to find?????

41. Loriana June 19, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

She said in her other post that it’s “Wild Aster” from Benjamin Moore.

42. Larkyn November 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm #

Hi Making it Lovely,
    I wanted to show you my pink Madeline Weinrib and thank you for the inspiration!

43. penahatiku83 March 28, 2010 at 9:53 am #

hai… blog walking… very nice living room…

44. Candice Marie April 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

I very much love the white rug by the couch. Is it from Ikea? I simply must get one! Thanks :-)

• Making it Lovely July 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Yes, it’s a little sheepskin from IKEA. We have it there as Murray’s dog bed.

45. Shannon July 22, 2010 at 2:14 pm #

So I know this post is pretty old, but that art of the woman’s head, Who is that? I printed it out about 2 years ago and didn’t write the artist on the back and have been searching for it ever since.

46. Mia July 29, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

Can I ask where, what & how do you hang your pictures to the picture rail? We have them at our place too! :) You’ve made a fantastic home!!! :)

47. Emily July 30, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

I love how you actually use your picture rails! We lived in a 1920s Tudor-style cottage for over 2 years with fab picture rails and I never got around to using them. Fab!

48. Annmarie August 24, 2010 at 2:40 am #

Where is the TV console and wood chair from?

49. She Loves Life December 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

Do you have details on your rug?

50. hs October 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

would you mind sharing what size rug that is? :)

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Feeling Slightly Blue in the Dining Room - August 20, 2009

[...] bare floors he would go from the kitchen through the dining room and end up in the living room on the zigzag rug. We can’t have that, now can [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Shapely Ceramic Lamps - September 30, 2009

[...] ask all the time about the lamps in my living room, but they’re no longer available. I bought them years ago from Crate & Barrel, and they [...]

3. Little Willow » Blog Archive » family room makeover - November 19, 2009

[...] on in that room and the adjoining living room. It certainly boosted my confidence that blogger Making it Lovely also has a pink Madeline Weinrib rug in her living [...]

4. Fab Finds: Six Great Blogs – A cool kitchen-finds blog - Kitchenisms - March 18, 2010

[...] in design blog land, but it’s one I had to include here. Nicole has been blogging about the transformation of her home since 2007, and intersperses that with posts on style, organization and general beautifying. Plus, [...]

5. What I wouldn’t do… « rosemary on the tv - July 20, 2011

[...] the embroidery on the poufs is a perfect match with the zigzag rug, which looks an awful lot like the Madeline Weinrib number I was coveting from Nicole at Making It Lovely not so long [...]

6. How I Repaired a Tear in My Chair’s Upholstery | Making it Lovely - August 4, 2011

[...] attempting to fix it, so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying. Many of you recommended keeping the orange chair that we already own, and having it reupholstered for a new look. I like the shape of the new chair more though, I love [...]

7. Orchid/Army Feather Rug | Making it Lovely - October 13, 2011

[...] SpexClub Glasses GiveawayOrchid/Army Feather RugOctober 13, 2011 If we didn’t already have a pink rug in the living room, I’d snap one of these up in a second.Maybe the person that wins the room redo will let me put [...]