22 June 6, 2008

Cabinets

Remember when I bought a new screwdriver, and then I bought the tool I actually needed (a new drill), and then I never followed up with the project that I was working on? Yeah, that was awesome of me. Sorry.

Anyway, here’s the project. This is one of my new cabinets (from IKEA, w/ knobs from Anthropologie):

Cabinet

The drill was necessary because I cut a hole in the back to feed cords through.

I’m trying to figure out where to keep them now. I have two right now in my office (with my desk floating in the middle of the room), but I’m thinking about putting the office back the way it was. I could use the cabinets upstairs in the library, which is right outside of my studio, and I could store my many boxes of envelopes in them. I’m thinking that’s the way to go…

Oh, and see how the doors are beige? That’s because the white doors were $50 and the beige ones were on clearance for $6. Beige was sounding mighty fine at that price.

TwinkleBee
    June 6, 2008 at 11:24 am

I am wondering how I can get a wish list for my blog. Going through yours and getting a link isn’t working for me. Any help?

Making it Lovely
    June 6, 2008 at 11:31 am

I use widgets from wists. Once you sign up and start saving things to your wists, there are all kinds of customization options.

Jenny
    June 6, 2008 at 11:47 am

So very pretty. It’s got my brain turning as to what to do with my new Expedit bookcase from ikea.

Brie
    June 6, 2008 at 11:58 am

Great job, those Anthropology knbos are the perfect touch!

vol25
    June 6, 2008 at 1:22 pm

I just came across your blog via a recommendation from another reader. I have to say I am COMPLETELY in love. Your taste of style, is perfect… and I am admiring your blog design. I read your a graphic designer, so I assume you designed it yourself?

btw- the cabinets are dreaaamy. :)

Making it Lovely
    June 6, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Thanks! Yes, I designed it.

Amanda
    June 6, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Those are great- we are in the market for something similar for storing our shoes by the back door… hmmm…
    So, let’s say hypothetically some person who reads your blog regularly saw you at the post office this week. Would you have been weirded out if that person said hi? Also, if that person realized they live on the block behind you (because of a picture you posted)? That would be really weird, huh?

Um, sheepishly, just wondering!

Making it Lovely
    June 6, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Say hello next time you see me! Do you live on the block that has all the metal sculptures in front of a couple of the houses? I like walking Murray down that block because of them!

Amanda
    June 6, 2008 at 5:19 pm

:) I will say hi- I didn’t want to freak you out. I live on the block east of you, near-ish the park. I recognized a unique house in one of your garden photos, that’s why I knew where you live.

katelynjane
    June 6, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Wow! $6?? I just love deals like that! Hopefully this summer I’ll be transforming one of our sheds into my sewing / craft room, I always love ideas for storage. Weird thing is, I never think about painting IKEA stuff…I just imagine it left as it is! Weird since I love painting things…Anyways! They look great!

Rina
    June 6, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Hi! I love your blog, is really inspiring and with beautful images. I really like tha color pink on the wall. Beautiful.

selena
    June 7, 2008 at 12:11 am

hi there, longtime reader — love your blog! i live in the city and our flat has a very similar look as your home (pre-war, wood moulding, picture rails, etc). so i love seeing what you do to your place.

quick q — how does one exactly paint ikea furniture, since it’s laminate? do you sand at all? or just prime and put on a lacquer paint? (btw i’m coveting the nicole latch shoes too. please do report if you spring for them :) )

Dawn
    June 7, 2008 at 11:50 am

Beautiful job. May I ask what the name of those particular knobs is and whether or not they’re still available at Anthro?

Jason
    June 7, 2008 at 12:44 pm

I have painted IKEA furniture before. I first used KILZ (2 applications). Make certain that the KILZ is completely dry and then you can apply the desired color.

amy purple
    June 8, 2008 at 6:07 pm

did you ever show us your finished promos?

Tracey
    June 9, 2008 at 9:06 am

Beautiful touch with the Anthropology knobs. What would we do without IKEA- great find on the cream doors! Love the display on top of the dresser as well- understated and elegant.

Julia
    June 9, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Fabulous! I love how the beige looks with the knobs you picked from Anthropologie!

Holly
    June 10, 2008 at 7:50 am

OOOOOO…. I think the beige is much more chic… White would have been too stark I think.

lindsay
    June 10, 2008 at 11:37 am

Great ikea hack! Can’t beat $6 doors :)

Kate
    June 25, 2008 at 11:25 am

Have you ever considered installng wide plank flooring in your office? Being that it’s a small room, the wide planks would actually make the room look larger and less cramped. Yesterday I walked past this place, Carlisle Wide Plank Floors on Wells St, just down from the Merchandise Mart. They are a green company and FSC certified. They have the most beautiful old growth flooring I have ever seen…check out their website! I am thinking about replacing the strip flooring in my kitchen with their Eastern White Pine…

Erika
    February 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm

What are these cabinets called from Ikea? They look exactly like what I am looking for! Yours turned out amazing!

Making it Lovely
      February 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

They’re Effektiv cabinets, but this is an old post and they’ve since been discontinued.