Do I Need a Maternity Coat?

I’m rapidly outgrowing my clothes and I’m going to need a new winter coat.

The only coat that fits me now

Should I buy a maternity coat, or can I get by with a roomy swingy coat in a larger size? I’m due in April, which means I may be wearing it right up to the end. Chicago winters tend to stick around well into spring.

64 Responses to “Do I Need a Maternity Coat?”

1. Making it Lovely October 23, 2008 at 10:16 am #

Brandon bought the coat for me. :) It should be here in a few days!

2. maile October 23, 2008 at 5:02 pm #

first of all, congratulations!!!
    i would say get the coat, but remember the last month or so you’re going to get BIGGER!! sometimes almost a whole size… keep that in mind if you’re expecting this coat to last the whole time. (you may need it even after you give birth– if it’s still cold. most people don’t automatically shrink back to their normal size the next day after the baby is delivered– something i didn’t realize with my first child.)

3. Fiona October 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm #

You are in Chicago, so feel no guilt about the coat. That said, I found a cute light one in a thrift shop, when I was just thinking about getting pregnant. I bought it, hoping I wasn’t jinxing myself.

I know everyone says you will get so hot, and I think I am a freak of nature because I had the easiest pregnancy ever, but I never felt hotter than I did as a non-pregnant woman.

4. patricia October 24, 2008 at 5:31 am #

Perhaps a tent would be a better investment as the coat you may want to set fire too. I wanted to light a match to all those horrid maternity things.
    I do love a good warm cape that can be worn later…. or a lovely shawl…
    Cape patterns are easy to find and you could make a solid or a plaid with detachable collars…I think it would fit your style nicely, then accessorize with gloves, a hat and boot and you will look like a real smart Moma to be!

5. JAnders October 24, 2008 at 1:37 pm #

Congrats on your pregnancy. I’m a fellow Oak Parker, and also knocked up. One of my greatest finds is a store downtown called The Second Child. It’s http://www.2ndchild.com/. They have tons of consignment maternity – and nice stuff. I got a fall coat for $25 that’s great.

I’m due Dec. 2. I’ll look for you at the parks!

6. robin October 29, 2008 at 4:43 pm #

where’ve i been??? you’re pregnant? oh congratulations… i am so excited for you. see? i must stop by the blog more often. i love it!

7. Kris October 30, 2008 at 7:03 pm #

Yes, definitely, get one. I had my little girl last March and for an Upstate NY winter, it was needed! I got a brand new Old Navy maternity puffer jacket on eBay and now I plan to sell it on eBay! But I wouldn’t spend a ton of money on it unless you have to dress professionally all the time. Something in between is your best bet! Good luck!

8. PregnantToo October 31, 2008 at 1:20 pm #

I’m pregnant too – coats at H&M Maternity and Zara Maternity are great.

9. trish November 1, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

i’m due in february, and i haven’t really found any maternity coats that i love, but i have bought two regular coats that are fitted up top and loose at the bottom. but i’m not sure if my coats will last me through the winter – my belly is enormous (esp. compared to the rest of me). a woman last night told me that i looked like i was about to pop any minute…and i told her i still had 4 months left. =)

10. Suzanne November 1, 2008 at 12:59 pm #

I used a simple wool Gap maternity pea coat in black for my three pregnancies. Not super cute or trendy, definitely classic and timeless, though, and it looked equally good for the trek to the office as well as with jeans and other casual clothes.

11. Kat November 2, 2008 at 7:58 pm #

Congrats to you and Brandon on the baby! I’m pregnant with my first as well in late Feb. early March. I’m at the beginning of 6 months and can still wear my winter coat (I buy winter coats a size bigger cause I wear so many layers). Hope you got a swingy coat or a high waisted one to accommodate your growing belly. Also some other useful tips I picked up:

1.) Skip temptation to get lots at once. Buy as you go.

2.) Get a Bella Band. It let me keep using my old jeans when I can’t button them.

3.) Target has some great maternity tops. Got lots on sale! Also scored on H&M with their dresses. Or just borrow your husband’s shirts and sweaters for casual wear.

12. j. vorwaller October 14, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Okay, I didn’t read through all the comments – so maybe someone already suggested this – just saw your dilemma and thought I’d quickly chime in! This might sound a little silly… but you can actually score amazing deals in the plus size section of any store – TJMaxx, Marshalls have the best I’ve found sometimes, for the preggo wardrobe – and you can get really creative, beautiful clothes!

I found the best coat ever steal at Anthro that carried me through my last pregnancy, it was so clearanced down because of it’s super big size… guess everyone was afraid to try it on? But when I tried it on – it fit like a dream and because of it’s style (cape!) it STILL fits awesome, and I’m more than half the size of that thing now. You just have to go try things on and not judge items by how they hang on the rack and and make sure the sleeves aren’t too wide and things like that… but that’s my advice to save money – plus, you won’t be wearing what everyone else is! Have fun! :)

13. Caitlin October 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Just buy one. You’ll be happier that you’re warm and comfy.

We regret things we don’t do…not things we do…

14. Laurie October 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

You are growing a human–treat yourself to a new coat!!!