36 November 24, 2008

Wallpapering Takes a Long Time

The good news is that we’ve started wallpapering the dining room! The bad news… it’s taking forever. We worked from noon until six yesterday, and we averaged one strip per hour which is just ridiculous. It’s because our walls are so incredibly wonky, but I suppose that’s to be expected in a hundred year old house.

This corner was the worst of it.

I think that little area alone took about three and a half hours.

I’m thrilled with the work that we’ve completed, but I severely underestimated the time involved! We aren’t exactly looking forward to the next few evenings. Being pregnant probably isn’t helping speed things along.

jayne
    November 24, 2008 at 5:23 am

Oh my gosh, that’s discouraging, isn’t it?! My dining room has a plastered-over chimney (about the width of a big shoe box) on one wall, and another wall is a giant bay with three windows. My walls are wonky, too. I’m reading your posts as a cautionary tale. :)

Caroline
    November 24, 2008 at 5:36 am

If it’s any consolation, it looks like it will be gorgeous when all done :-)

Lyndsay
    November 24, 2008 at 6:34 am

It looks fabulous!Hopefully well worth the nights ahead!

alivicwil
    November 24, 2008 at 8:04 am

It looks amazing though!

Caitlin @ C³
    November 24, 2008 at 8:08 am

I think you’ve just made an excellent case for buying wallpaper that doesn’t have to match so exactly along the seams! ;)

It’ll look fantastic when it’s completed, don’t get discouraged! ^_^

Rebecka
    November 24, 2008 at 8:21 am

It looks flawless though!

lori
    November 24, 2008 at 8:34 am

if it helps at all, it looks fantastic!

Desiree Fawn
    November 24, 2008 at 9:09 am

So pretty though! Keep it up ^_^

luuvelyladdy
    November 24, 2008 at 9:19 am

LOOKS AWESOME! LOL and besides good things dont come to those who wait it comes to those who WORK HARD AND LONG! so keep going…it looks fab!

Monica
    November 24, 2008 at 9:33 am

Your dining room is going to be gorgeous! LOVE this paper. Just take your time and know it will be more than worth it in the end. I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and am finally making a comment. So much fun to read and your home is truly lovely. Thanks for sharing!

shannon
    November 24, 2008 at 9:37 am

ooh that wallpaper is amazing.

Brie
    November 24, 2008 at 10:01 am

Wallpapering is really hard and time consuming! I love the paper you picked! That room is going to beyond beautiful!

Jaime
    November 24, 2008 at 10:15 am

Great choice though. Good luck!

Bel
    November 24, 2008 at 10:49 am

Love the paper. I bet it will look fantastic when everything comes together :D

Marlene
    November 24, 2008 at 10:57 am

i still love your choice. i can just imagine the smiles these birds will bring every time you pass the dining room :-)

susan
    November 24, 2008 at 11:33 am

1) Hopefully you got the hardest bit done first so it’ll be easier from here on out and

2) Gorgeous paper; think how you’d be if you were all “meh” about the paper AND put in all that work

Glad to see some more house stuff. Your house decorating/renovating is such an inspiration :)

Jennifer
    November 24, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Oh, but that is the YUMMIEST wallpaper!

Dee in BC
    November 24, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Your wallpaper looks wonderful. I’m sure you’ll look back in days to come & think it was worth the time & energy to do. Personally I find it takes 6 months or so to forget exactly how hard the work was & just enjoy the result.

Jodi
    November 24, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Oh my gosh that wallpaper looks adorable, did you make it yourself? I need a cute pattern like that for me and my fiance’s new place.

Ever since he proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond engagement ring from http://www.idonowidont.com we moved into a new place together with bare walls that need cute wallpaper asap.

That design is so cute, I’ve got to find something like it for our new living room. Great choice!

Jackie
    November 24, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Oh! That wallpaper is so delightful!

Stacy
    November 24, 2008 at 1:26 pm

oh but it is going to look FABULOUS!

autumn
    November 24, 2008 at 1:53 pm

i love it!! cant wait to see it completed!

joyce
    November 24, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I hear ya. I papered some in this 100 yo house…but now I’ve switched to paint. That said, I love the paper you selected! It’s going to look wonderful when you get it done.

Lisa
    November 24, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Can’t wait to see the finished product, it’s looks great so far. We hung wallpaper in our bedroom behind the headboard as an accent wall. It is very time consuming, but worth it in the end.

Take care,
    lisa

FT
    November 24, 2008 at 3:15 pm

On the plus side, it looks great. At least now that you’ve started, you kind of have to keep the motivation up. Plus, trust me, do this kind of stuff now, because for the year after the baby, you will NOT want to be doing major projects.

Cindy
    November 24, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Way to persevere!! But if I do say so myself, it is going to be sooo worth it. The paper looks great so far!

Nicole Balch
    November 24, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for all of the encouragement, everybody. It will indeed be beautiful when it’s done – I can’t stop looking at the one little section that is finished and marveling at how pretty it is! I’m just feeling a bit overwhelmed because I have orders to go out for the shop, a mock-up to present to a client, and now a room to wallpaper in time for a photo shoot! Oh, and the whole five months pregnant thing doesn’t help. ;)

jaime
    November 24, 2008 at 5:00 pm

better to do it well and right the first time then mess it up and have your eyes always wander to that one spot that doesn’t line up.

Anna
    November 24, 2008 at 6:30 pm

It looks fabulous and you probably don’t want to hear it but you will honestly be so chuffed when you can glance over and think how you did it and it was worth every minute.

Affinity
    November 25, 2008 at 2:24 am

The little corner looks great now and i’m sure it’ll be even more fabulous when the whole wall is done! :) my hubby and i wallpapered our room too and we told ourselves never to do it ourselves again. It was tiring! and matching the patterns was a great hassle.

Lou
    November 25, 2008 at 4:31 am

Oh it’s gorgeous! You have the cutest house. Chin up dear, your house will look gorgeous and you can be so proud of it.

Sarah M.
    November 25, 2008 at 5:48 am

Trust me, it’s a lot easier hanging wallpaper at 5 months pregnant than at 8.5 months… we moved into our house three weeks before our baby was born, and let me tell you, all the redecorating we wanted to get done (like painting the nursery) required a humungous effort. Waddling and wallpapering don’t mix! But your dining room looks faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab! What is this wallpaper? Is it Neisha Crossland? Where did you get it?

Casamacho
    November 25, 2008 at 10:34 am

It looks great so far!! Keep it up!

LucyM
    November 25, 2008 at 11:13 am

Love the wall paper, great choice! by the way, I’m passing on an award to you, so you should check out my blog.. Have a good one and good luck on that wall papering… Lucy form Slovakia

Pink
    December 5, 2008 at 10:07 am

Wallpapering takes forever. That is the cutest wallpaper. Where did you get it? What is it called?

Improvements Made to the House | Making it Lovely
    May 29, 2013 at 3:11 am

[…] done here in one post! We (okay, I) made cosmetic choices that not everyone agreed with, like wallpapering the dining room or painting the not-so-nice wood trim white, but we’ve also made many structural […]