68 November 25, 2008

Eames Rocker

We may be buying an Eames rocker for the living room!

Well, technically, it would be a “fiberglass shell chair” from Modernica. It’s an Eames rocker without the Eames license (though I’d argue that they’re just as authentic if not more so). Now I’m trying to decide on a color… hmmm.

Natural is nice, but so is white. Mustard looks yummy, but I’m afraid I’ll tire of it and it may not look right with the yellow curtains we already have. I thought the pink was too vivid, but it’s beautiful in this photo from Rachel’s House Tour on Apartment Therapy.

I’m wondering if the pink might be too much in my living room though, since we do already have pale pink walls and a pink zigzag rug. I think I love it in Rachel’s home because it’s an isolated spot of color.

My Living Room

I would put the rocker near the window and the Eames LCW that’s there now would be relocated to another room.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a sort of an Eames/Nelson knockoff chair (from IKEA) in Brandon’s office that’s right off the living room.

Brandon's Office

Would it be strange to see the real thing and a modified version in such proximity? Especially if both chairs were the same color?

Thoughts?

serena
    November 28, 2008 at 6:28 pm

I think pink. Colors with the same base – like your darky pink rug, and the warm tone in yellow curtains will come alive with a glory-pink chair in the mix. Plus you have a nice mix of neutrals in there with your sofa and coffee table. That way too, the ikea whitey and pinky can be like high class lassy and modern man, rather than competing for favour (in the case of white vs. white) – or boring neutral vs. white. Mustard, because the tone seems dark, I think will clash with your rug. too much greentone in that yellow. go with your heart/abdomen! of course, though. the walls being pale pink – will be barely noticeable when that beauties in the room; but then I’m a fan of tone on tone.

ali
    November 28, 2008 at 11:50 pm

hello! This is my first time commenting on your beautiful blog. First things first, congratulations on your pregnancy! Second, I love your style (coincidentally I also live in an old Oak Park home!) and I love the choices here, but girl, do yourself a favor and find something COMFORTABLE (like, the most comfortable chair you can possibly find). If you happen to get a “troubled” sleeper like my little guy (14 mos.), you will end up spending hours rocking away in that damn chair — and you will thank me. :) Ours seemed comfortable enough in the store, but like I said, having spent literally HOURS upon HOURS in that chair (oftentimes falling asleep there myself), my tail bone really hurts and I wish we’d chosen comfort over looks.

ali
    November 29, 2008 at 1:23 am

OK, ignore me! Just saw that you already answered a similarly comfort-concerned mommy comment above.

And also, I vote mustard. I think I’d dig the contrast.

elizabeth
    November 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I vote a different chair all together. First I am over these chairs, but more importantly you dont want you 10 month old taking it in face with the hard unforgiving material. Not a very child friendly choice

suzanne cabrera.
    November 30, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I say go with the pink. Its unexpected.

jodi
    December 1, 2008 at 12:29 pm

the mustard would look great, but i totally understand your concern about getting tired of that color.

i think since the rocker will go where the LCW is now, that you should choose natural. if you are happy with the color balance in the room as is, the natural is closest to the color of the existing chair.

vol25
    December 1, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Love the chair and have been coveting it for quite some time… but I always wonder, will the chair eventually rock back with each rock? Or does it stay in place? We have a vintage rocking chair in our church and I hate the thing. Every time I rock little journey, I end up with the rocker against a wall! :)

Oh- and I vote for white, scratches would possibly be easier to touch up?

justine
    December 2, 2008 at 9:10 am

Mustard! We have the red/ orange for our sons room. Have you tried them out? They are very small and low scale. I think they are perfect for a kids room.
    For their 1st birthdays they get a piece of art or furniture.

nikkirose
    December 2, 2008 at 12:11 pm

I’m voting for white. If you are tired of the mustard curtains, then maybe a pop of white would help break them up. You have plethora of white accessories throughout your home and are obviously aware of how versitile it is. Kids can make a mess but the chair will wipe clean… just keep him/her away from the sharpies!

Erica
    December 2, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Mustard!

tula@whorange
    December 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Your place is STUNNING! i have the same dreams of stars screenprint (only mine is a different color). i love your blog. it’s so inspirational!

irk24
    December 4, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Where did you get the couch? Love it. I think it would look great in chocolate or dark brown. I don’t like the carnation pink with your carpet. Avoid white with small children, dark brown will hide the stains. Mustard might be hard to put elsewhere should you want to move it. I agree, though, make sure you can sit comfortably for a nice long stretch.

mari.
    December 8, 2008 at 6:55 am

hey! i am from brazil and i loveeee your blog! your ideas are absolutely gorgeous!!!

i was thinking about doing something similar to the painting above your coach… did you painted or is a graphical design?

can i find it on the web?

thanks for the help =]

best wishes!

Making it Lovely
    December 8, 2008 at 10:59 am

OK, I’m going with natural. After finishing the dining room and seeing how much pattern and color there is, I think something simple would look best. There’s too much pink in the living room already, I may tire of mustard, and white looks too brand new. Natural’s the way to go.

Mari, that’s a quilt! It’s from Dream of Stars – I put mine over stretcher bars (like for a canvas).

irk24, the couch is Jasper from Room and Board.

lucinda
    December 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I’ve been meaning to tell you that ever since I saw your home on Apt Therapy you inspired me to allow my boyfriend’s AT-AT into the design of our home. However, being a decorative painter I had to dress it up a bit. Here’s my post about the transformed AT-AT. http://shaktispacedesigns.blogspot.com/2008/10/and-now-for-something-completely.html

I love your home. You are so inspiring. Love, love, love the new wallpaper. Happy New Year!

Jen
    December 28, 2008 at 5:14 am

Hello and happy new year (almost)! I have just dreamed up an entire room around that pink and ivory zig zag rug of yours, and I’m hoping you can tell me where to find it. Looks like a Madeleine Weinrib cotton, but I don’t see it in pink on the website. And let’s be honest, I’m hoping yours is a a much cheaper version! :)

Making it Lovely
    December 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Lucinda, that’s so fun! I told Brandon about it. :)

Jen, the rug is by Madeleine Weinrib. I didn’t know that it came in other colors, but ABC Carpet and Home (in NY) has it in several others that aren’t listed on her website.

Lien
    March 4, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Hi! I just found your site tonight and I love your design ideas! I saw the picture with the green curtains in the background – can I ask where they came from?

• 1 2