Living Room, Preparing for Baby

As promised, I’ve taken some better shots of the living room as it looks these days. Here’s a panoramic I put together from three photos:

Living Room Panoramic

The baby stuff is slowly starting to show up in the house now… We have a wicker bassinet in our bedroom (a family heirloom on Brandon’s side), a Jenny Lind cradle in the living room (that my little brother and sister slept in), the new Eames rocker, and a few other big items. I can already tell it’s going to be a challenge to keep my house from being taken over by primary colors and plastic!

Eames Rocker in the Living Room

I was a little worried that the rocker would look funny being in such close proximity to our IKEA Eames/Nelson derivative at Brandon’s desk, but it looks fine.

Living Room & Brandon's Office

And the cradle, as big as it is in our small living room, looks fine too. I actually really like having an item in the room that definitively says “baby” — Brandon and I are so excited to meet her!

Living Room with Rocker and Cradle

95 Responses to “Living Room, Preparing for Baby”

1. Seleta February 3, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

How you always make everything look so organized is beyond me. I love it. And want that. [sigh]

2. mary February 4, 2009 at 6:55 am #

I am so impressed with the thought you’ve put into every detail of your home, and to watch it all come together has been a total inspiration to me!

3. Heloisa February 4, 2009 at 8:53 am #

Hi Nicole,

My name is Heloisa, I´m a brasilian journalist.

Well, first of all I want to congrats you about your blog! It is really really nice and well written!

Second, I want to ask you for a favour, if you can, of course. I really love the design of your blog, and wanted to do a similar thing on mine, too.

Can you pass me the information so my webdesigner will be able to do something similar? I´ll give you all the credits, that´s for sure!

Thanks in advance
    Best regards
    Heloisa

4. coral February 4, 2009 at 11:22 am #

Do you like your Jasper couch? Is it comfortable and holding up well? Do the cushions have removable covers if you have to clean them? I have been looking at the Jasper for a while now. I am really nervous about making such a big important purchase over the internet without seeing it/ sitting on it first, but the sofas available where I live just aren’t cutting it.

5. katiedid February 4, 2009 at 11:31 am #

WOw! Looking FAB. But of course it would.

6. kally February 4, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

You have fabulous taste!

7. michelle February 4, 2009 at 2:39 pm #

another source question. I love the artwork above the sofa. Where is it from? Thank you for posting. I love it!!

8. Laura February 4, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

What a beautiful job you have done! Such an inspiration. I love too many things to mention, but I will try! First of all, that Eames rocker just knocks my socks off! I also Love the armchair, the way you have used color to make the whole space warm & vibrant but still soothing, that zigzag rug, the dress form in the corner… Fantastic. I just popped over here from ohdeedoh, but I think I’ll stay awhile :)

9. amy purple February 4, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

I love the zigzag carpet. It was a fuzzy white one before, wasn’t it?

10. Dionne C February 4, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

What a well-put-together space! I love your taste! It has the perfect balance of looking stylish yet comfortable. I am not a fan of unapproachable design, but yours looks so welcoming!

11. Susan February 4, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

I love that rug! I am decorating a nursery in vintagey reds and that looks perfect! Care to share where it’s from?

12. Heather February 4, 2009 at 8:47 pm #

Hi Nicole,
    What a great blog you have! I put some ideas together about your “primary colr/plastic concerns” for you on my new blog: http://www.doodlebuds.blogspot.com

Good luck to you! I’m looking forward to reading more about your journey!
    Heather

13. Priya February 4, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

What color/kind of paint did you use in that back room? The light-medium brown/gray color? It’s exactly the color I’m looking for!

14. Valerie February 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm #

Gah! I absolutely LOVE your blog, so happy to have discovered it!

But I have a question for you – does your paint colour have a hint of pink in it, or is it just white (and maybe the curtains are giving off that glow?)?

So beautiful, warm and welcoming – yet still modern. Great design!

15. Viv February 4, 2009 at 10:27 pm #

My goodness what a beautiful room. Well done Nicole!

16. Jennifer February 4, 2009 at 10:33 pm #

I just found your blog and absolutely love it! I have two children under the age of five and I can tell that instead of fighting child decor, you will embrace it. I have loved putting together a comfy, pretty home that the whole family enjoys. Would I have put a giant, fleece covered bean bag on the living room floor before kids? No, but they love it and use it and if it’s covered in the fabric I want, it actually looks pretty good. Things will change, but it will still be lovely.
    I’ll definitely be visiting this website frequently (especially now that Domino is done:( Thanks so much!

17. CHIC Sensibility February 5, 2009 at 12:33 am #

Wow! How cute. It was worth the wait.

18. freeteyme February 5, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

i heart your blog! you are very creative!

19. Making it Lovely February 5, 2009 at 5:18 pm #

Is an Imperial Walker the same as an AT-AT? Because if so, then yes that’s an Imperial Walker you see. ;)

Coral, yes the couch has held up well. I’d recommend it to anyone!

Michelle, the art above the sofa is a quilt that I put over stretcher bars. It was from Dream of Stars.

The rug is by Madeline Weinrib, and I bought it at ABC Carpet & Home.

The living room paint is indeed a very pale pink – “Wild Aster” by Benjamin Moore. Brandon’s office is “Driftwood” by Benjamin Moore.

20. emily February 5, 2009 at 5:52 pm #

really, really, REALLY lovely. i want to move in. is that creepy?

21. LindsB February 5, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

I love your rocker, its so hot! Much better option then the typical slide rocker everyone gets, yuck!

22. Jess February 6, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

“Driftwood” is one of my Benjamin Moore favorites.

Everything is lovely! I’m sure you’ll rise to the challenge of keeping your own style while making things kid-friendly. Honestly, I don’t think Plan Toys or Haba wood items, or playsilks, or other such toys would clash terribly with your style! You don’t have to go the Fisher Price route. :o)

Will have to stock up on picture cord. Did you just connect a single length on the frame hardware and wrap it around the picture rail hook? It’s a much cleaner look than the usual big loop.

23. jennifer ramos February 7, 2009 at 1:58 am #

YOUR PLACE is looking quite nice…you have great design aesthetic.
    The carpet is the best!!!

24. Anne @ The City Sage February 7, 2009 at 10:14 am #

I’m not saying anything that plenty of folks haven’t already said here, but your home is AMAZING! The little touches of ‘baby’ that are popping up are just perfect with your existing designs. The cradle and the rocker are the perfect blend of warm and homey + clean and sophisticated. simply heavenly!

25. Maggi February 7, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

What kind of picture railing hangers are those? I need some immediately. Thanks.

26. Amy @ Living Locurto February 8, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

I’ve been reading your blog for a while. Just love your style and designs. I’m a designer also and I was hoping to meet you at Blissdom this weekend, but never found you! Bummer. Hope you had a great time and good luck with the new baby:-) This room is gorgeous!!! Ikea rocks.

27. mer February 9, 2009 at 2:27 am #

I’m so in love with the rug! great job!

28. Nancy February 9, 2009 at 2:41 am #

You’re one of the reason that I’m still crazy about Madeline Weinrib’s rugs! I didn’t realize that you could order them in various colors other than what is on their site.

I did get lucky enough to pick up a pretty pink MW rug from another home blogger and I’m in love with it. But, it’s just made me want more!

I’d love to see them all in person. I may just have to fly to NY!

Best of luck with the new baby! If you get tired of the rug, I’ll be happy to buy it from you ;) Nanc

29. Katie February 9, 2009 at 10:56 am #

I am very excited for you. I have a 7 month old and this time last year I was doing exactly what you are doing. It was my way of mentally preparing for baby–the physical stuff. I can’t stress enough how great it feels to sit in her room–my favorite room in the house. Congrats and good luck

30. Pink Wallpaper February 9, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

what a great room…love the rug, pillows, and adorable rocker :)

31. Rachel B. February 10, 2009 at 7:36 am #

Good luck with the primary colors and plastic dilema– I have 4 children (age 1,3,6,9) and I think I lost control of the “desorating a long time ago. Your home is absolutely beautiful. Perhaps you will be better at keeping it that way than I was.

32. Melissa de la Fuente February 10, 2009 at 9:35 am #

I think it all looks absolutely gorgeous and congratulations hun!
    xo
    Melissa

33. Amanda @O Oliveaux February 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm #

I love your room – very beautiful! Amanda x

34. tanya February 13, 2009 at 11:32 am #

what great taste you have–i love how you’ve decorated the room and kept it chic and calming. just lovely!

35. Erika February 15, 2009 at 8:15 pm #

You have the best style!
    PS- have you seen that Target is now selling a knock off of the Eames rocker- its weird!

36. Ali March 3, 2009 at 2:53 pm #

Oh lord, good luck with keeping the plastic crap out! I am mom to an 18-month old and it just keeps piling up …

Everything looks so lovely!

37. Brandi March 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

Where did you get the great vase and green flowers by your tv? I love your decorating style.

Brandi

38. Margarita March 18, 2009 at 2:10 pm #

I like this room very much, the chair, sofa, cushions, the rug, and colors…

39. Jeff March 22, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

Is that the natural rocker or the white?

1. » » 5 Blog Posts that Inspired Us Today Simpatico: The Velocity Art And Design Blog - February 18, 2009

[...] Living Room, Preparing for Baby via Making it [...]

2. What does baby really need? « Desert Homespun - February 20, 2009

[...] love looking at these ideas here and here for the nursery.  While the furniture is still in the planning stages, here’s the [...]

3. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » Time Out Chicago - March 5, 2009

[...] that’s my living room front and center in the article (blush). And if you’re wondering about the “Making it [...]

4. Our lovely abode « Two Brides - May 26, 2009

[...] it lovely used it in her living room and I heart it!! 0 Comments No Comments so far Leave a comment RSS feed for comments on this [...]

5. best of the week. | best of the week. interior design | best of the week. interior decoration | Interior Design | Interior Decoration | Design Decoration - May 12, 2010

[...] Living Room, Preparing for Baby from Making it Lovely. [...]

6. Changes in the Living Room | Making it Lovely - September 28, 2011

[...] The rocking chair is upstairs (because I am lazy sometimes and don’t like to cart it upstairs and back down for August’s monthly photo), so we brought back the other Eames chair and the elephant. It is possible that I have too much of an affinity for Eames furniture, but they’re classic investment pieces that I don’t tire of. Plus they’re sentimental for us. We got the LCW when we were married, the rocking chair when we were expecting, and the elephant for our first Christmas as new parents. [...]