Picking Perfect Pink Paint

It’s no secret that pink is my favorite color, and I believe that pink can be a beautiful wall color when chosen well. Unfortunately, it’s a difficult color to get right and the results are often more Pepto than pretty. Here are several of my favorite pink shades along with the reasons I love them and a few suggested uses. I’ve also included several examples of the colors in actual rooms.

pink paint
All paint colors are from their respective brands’ websites, but my descriptions are based on the actual paint chips.

• Wild Aster, Benjamin Moore
    This is my favorite pink, hands down. It’s very subtle with a lot of taupe and lilac, but it still reads as pink. It’s the most sophisticated and adult of all the pinks here, perfect for a living room or master bedroom.
  • Reverie Pink, Behr
    Similar in tone to Wild Aster, but less muted.
  • Powder Blush, Benjamin Moore
    A nice happy pink, this would be nice in a kid’s room.
  • Pink Innocence, Benjamin Moore
    Lovely pink with just a touch of muted lilac.
  • Peony, Benjamin Moore
    This deep pink would be gorgeous in an entryway, powder room, or dining room.
  • Milk Glass Pink, Martha Stewart (Valspar)
    A delicate light pink. I’d love to see this in a feminine kitchen.
  • Bare Pink, Pittsburgh Paints
    Another delicate light pink, but a little bit peachy.
  • Old Fashioned Pink, Behr
    A very pure pink with a little coral in it. It may be a bit bright for an entire room, but it would be perfect on furniture.
  • Ballerina Pink, Benjamin Moore
    This pale pink is one shade lighter than Pink Innocence.
  • Tutu, Martha Stewart (Valspar)
    Glamorous and a bit old-Hollywood, this would be perfect in a dressing room.
  • Blushing Bride, Benjamin Moore
    Some bold pinks can be too magenta, too fuschia, too neon, or too dark. This pink is none of the above. I’d love to see this color in a creative space, like a studio or home office.
  • Sugar Egg Pink, Martha Stewart (Valspar)
    There is a nice lilac tone to this pink. I think it would be gorgeous in a powder room with a vintage tub, nickel fixtures, and a little crystal chandelier.

And as promised, here are a few of these colors (as seen in my home and my old apartment)…

Living Room with Rocker and Cradle
Wild Aster, in my living room

My Studio
Wild Aster, in my studio

foyer looking in (my office)
Ballerina Pink, in my old entryway; Pink Innocence, in my old office

Eleanor's Nursery
Powder Blush, on the dresser in Eleanor’s nursery

83 Responses to “Picking Perfect Pink Paint”

1. Ashley Yousling July 26, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

Every time I see photos of your house or office, I drool. I can’t help it. I instantly feel the urge to redecorate my whole house in such lovely fabrics and shades of pink and brown and all those other glorious colors and patterns. You are fortunate your husband appreciates or tolerates the pink! While it isn’t the only color, any shade of pink might alarm my husband…haha. :)

2. Kimberly July 27, 2009 at 9:48 am #

Great post! I LOVE the peony pink! My dressing room/craft room/guest bedroom on the southwest corner of our house is Milk Glass Pink, and when the sun hits the west window in the late afternoon the room postively glows. One of these days I’m going to post about that room…

3. Erin July 27, 2009 at 5:31 pm #

I LOVE this post. I am a lover of all things pink, but unfortunately my husband doesn’t share my taste, so I’ve never gotten to do a pink room. We’ll be decorating a new house soon and finally with a baby girl coming, I’ll finally get my pink room! I can’t wait to check out some of these shades and see if one will work on her room. I really love the blushing bride. You’re spaces are just too gorgeous!

4. vintage simple July 27, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

Love that living room…. every time I fall in love with all-white rooms, color wants to pull right back in!! :) Lovely, lovely. That couch, too, and the rocker, and the rig, and the pillows….and the color on the wall, so subtle and neutral and yet…pink. Perfect. :)
    -maria

5. Patrice July 28, 2009 at 5:51 am #

A lovely and a gorgeous living room painted with Wild Aster. Love it.

6. Laura Gaskill July 30, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

You can’t imagine what perfect timing this is for me – my hubby & I are moving into our new (first!!) house in exactly 30 days, and I am in the process of choosing the perfect pink to paint our living/dining space. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I still haven’t decided yet, but seeing your photos is immensely helpful :)

7. The Lil Bee July 31, 2009 at 8:40 am #

This is so helpful, you have no idea. Our nursery is a buttercream yellow and we’re going to work in pink throughout, so the palette will be varying shades of pinks and yellows, marigolds, etc. There’s one spot that I’m actually going to accent in pink (we’re painting a tiny house) and we need the perfect color. That probably sounds crazy, but I’m hoping for sweet. And modern. Anywho, THANK YOU!!

8. Melissa de la Fuente August 4, 2009 at 4:03 pm #

This is just genius and thank you SO much! I want to paint my dining room a pretty pale pink and this will help me so very much in picking out a color! I found this post via the lovely blog Lolalina. Just beautiful!
    xo
    Melissa

9. Fawn August 7, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

Thanks for the list of pinks. It came at a perfect time. I moved my little girl to her big girl bed and it was time for a makeover. I ended up with the Wild Aster. I LOVE it. I sampled Tutu and Balerina Pink–the seemed too bright in her sun filled room. The wild Aster is perfect. I never would have found that color without your help so thank you.

10. ...love Maegan September 2, 2009 at 6:24 pm #

OMG YOUR HOUSE IS AS CUTE AS YOUR BLOG!

11. Lillian October 30, 2009 at 6:31 pm #

I am so thankful for this site:) I’ve been trying to find the perfect shade of pink for my living room and finally–wild aster. I picked it up today and it’s perfect for a pink and brown living room. Thanks so much for sharing that color. I’ve gone through at least 4 other paint colors trying to find the right one. Wild aster has enough gray/neutral in it so that it isn’t so “little girl” pink. Thanks!

12. Monica March 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

We’ve made the choice to paint both of girls rooms pink and we’re too happy with the results. One of them were too bright! I only wish that would have found your site sooner because you offer such beautiful colors! What do you think of a pink color for a tween bedroom? We’re thinking of painting over the exsisting bright pink and painting over it with Pink Innocense since I loved the way it looked in your office. What color do think reads pink but not too bright?

• Monica March 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Sorry for the typos, I meant we’ve painted both of our girls rooms pink and we’re not too happy with the results.

13. Jennifer March 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Hi-

I’m hoping for some advice! I want to do a pale pink in my 6 year old daughter’s room. We’ve had all the walls painted a sage green since she was a baby, and want a change. I was thinking of doing the wall behind her bed in a pale pink, and the other walls in a white. The room has a 10 foot ceiling white a white chandelier with black shades, and the windows have white plantation shutters. Her furniture is black. I want to do a black and white duvet and use different shades of pink in accents throughout her room.

I thought I would LOVE Benjamin Moore “Dog’s Ear,” I’m liking the color but it’s too bright for what I want. It looks like bubble gum. I want something that doesn’t have any lilac undertones – just a pale, pretty pink. What I think looks good on the swatch seems to look “fleshy” when I get it home.

Can you help?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

14. Claire August 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Love this room! Who is the rug by? Have been looking for the same look for my daughter’s room!

• Claire August 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

Oops, should have been more specific… the rug in the living room photo! Thanks!

15. kiki January 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

great post, thanks, you helped me out enormously, i’ve been looking for inspiration for a while, we’re painting our new house before we moved in, i went in got samples and we’re on our way to a beautiful pink house, my hubby is 100% behind it though he wants his office martha stewart’s pink granite, now can you tell me whats a good color for our cabinets,we’re repainting and don’t want white … he he, it’s okay, i know you’re busy but i will check back for follow up comments
    thanks nicole, i’ve been a lurker for forever but you really helped so thanks thanks thanks

16. Lisa June 11, 2012 at 10:59 am #

In my search for the perfect pink for my soon-to-arrive little girl, I remembered this post and came back to it. Reverie Pink happens to be one of the swatches I picked up yesterday. I like it, but I’m hoping to find a pink that’s just a tad warmer, but not peachy. After revisiting this post, I’m hoping to find a swatch for Martha Stewart’s Tutu (Valspar) at Lowes this afternoon.

My husband does not want to paint her room pink, so I’ll probably just do an accent wall for now. I’m not sure why he thinks it’s okay for our son’s room to be blue, but it’s not okay for our baby girl’s room to be pink.

The pinks in your home are lovely!

17. Brandi September 25, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Thank you so much for this site Im moving and Im doing my daughters room a ballerina theme I wanted a pretty soft pink and I didnt know where to begin looking thank you so much:)

18. Jane October 14, 2012 at 2:35 am #

Hi
    I’m pregnant with a baby girl, and she’s going to be born soon. I think Wild Aster is such a lovely colour, and I think I’ll paint the baby’s room pink. Thanks for sharing this colour with us, I’ve shared this with my husband and he thinks it’s a great idea. Thanks!

19. Juniper March 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

I picked my first apartment partly because it was painted Bauhaus Buff by Sherwin Williams, a beige with a good amount of pink in it. It’s part of what I think of as “plausible deniability pink”. I don’t think my boyfriend ever thought of my apartment as pink, but I did (or, at least, did in some lights) and it made me happy. Now he’s my fiance, and he’s given tentative consent to a subtle but obviously peachy-pink laundry room in our first house.

20. Connie April 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Thank you so much for these recommendations. Finding the perfect pink paint color is so overwhelming in the paint store. it is so nice to have a “pink expert” available to narrow down the choices. Wild Aster is going to look beautiful in my daughter’s “big girl” room.

21. Darcy August 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Thank you for these ideas and photos. The lighting makes such a difference and choosing the right shade of “blush” as I refer to it has proved challenging for me. So I sought out some advice online and sure appreciate you sharing your experience and enthusiasm for this color!

I wanted to ask if you have a favorite trim color that goes well with your pinks that you really like and could recommend.

Darcy

22. cha October 20, 2013 at 5:05 am #

I <3 Pink

23. Lynn Morris February 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

Thank you so much for our pink advice! I have read hundreds (literally!) of pink blogs and paint articles and your is the absolute best. I am painting our master bedroom Dress Rehearsal by Behr after trying 11 other colors in our room. What do you recommend painting our master bath? The cabinets are white dove by benjamin moore and the shower tile is brown and tan mixed.

Again, thank you for sharing your passion and talent!

Best,
    lynn

1. {blog love} this week i love… « {in the tweeds} - July 25, 2009

[…] Picking the perfect pink paint – {Making It Lovely} – the queen of pink gives the ultimate guide to picking pink paint! […]

2. seven things (july twenty seventh) - July 27, 2009

[…] three: must have: nars orgasm (US:sephora | AUS: mecca cosmetica) four: picking perfect pink paint (making it lovely) five: the simone costeau scarf thrush vintage six: italian elle gorgeousness (camilla akrans) […]

3. Twitted by mkgraces - August 8, 2009

[…] This post was Twitted by mkgraces […]

4. Real Rooms: She Makes Things Lovely | Project Nursery - December 21, 2009

[…] do you like best?” and receive 174 opinions! Nicole is a also huge fan of pink, pink and more pink. So, it must have been her destiny to give birth to a beautiful baby girl. And need we say what […]

5. Which Pink? « Manipura House - June 22, 2011

[…] store now carries RL). Then I came upon Nicole Balch’s blog Making It Lovely, and her post on Picking Perfect Pink Paint.  Yes! I learned that I was not the only grown woman who loved pink, and some of them were willing […]

6. The Many Shades of Pink Nurseries | Project Nursery - July 7, 2011

[…] Farrow and Ball’s Middleton Pink or Benjamin Moore’s Wild Aster Pink seen in this blog post by Making It […]

7. some apartment updates | therecomesayes.com - February 3, 2012

[…] pink is a match of Tutu, from the discontinued Martha Stewart line for Valspar. I consulted this post on pink paint quite heavily. I like that the paint has some peachy undertones, so it’s not at […]

8. Pink for Boys (Pink for All!) | Making it Lovely - January 22, 2014

[…] totally in my wheelhouse. First, up: paint colors, as requested! I put together a post years ago on picking perfect pink paint colors, and that’s a good place to start. The trick to choosing a color for a boy is to avoid baby […]