Hoping for a Vintage Porch Swing

I found a porch swing on Craigslist that I really like, but someone beat me to it. It looks a little something like this:

Porch Swing Sketch

I’m crossing my fingers hoping the other person doesn’t pick it up! I’ve been looking for weeks and this was the first swing I actually liked.

28 Responses to “Hoping for a Vintage Porch Swing”

1. Little Paper Dog March 24, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

I’ll cross my fingers for you! That would be so fun to use after your baby arrives.

2. Lauren March 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

I have been looking for a vintage-antique-ish bench for the front room of my new home too. I love the bench you drew. I actually have my sketch of it that I drew hanging on the empty wall, ha!

3. Making it Lovely March 24, 2009 at 12:20 pm #

Ha, that’s what I should do! I’ll just tape my little sketch to the front porch and pretend… ;)

4. Michelle March 24, 2009 at 12:34 pm #

Have you checked Lowes? My husband and I just bought a cute, little, white porch swing that looks very southern (even though our home is in the Utah Rockies).

Lowe’s had some great options to choose from at very reasonable prices.

5. Jasmine March 24, 2009 at 12:37 pm #

Oh how cute! I hope you get it! It’s the worst when you find something you love only to have it out of stock or snatched out from under you.

6. casafroggy March 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Yay! I’m glad you decided on the swing idea :)

7. Mandi March 24, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

Crossing my fingers for you too. I was just talking to my kids the other day about how every home I knew of when I was a little girl had a nice porch swing. However we have no where on our back deck to hang one. *pout*

8. Taylor March 24, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

Here’s a few swings I found.
    and here
    They are not free, of course, but good luck!

9. Lynnie March 24, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Ah this is such a lovely idea, very jealous of you peeps with your porches! Always wanted to live in a house in the States with a wrap-around porch [I’m Irish], closest I got was an apartment with a bay window in Chicago for 3 months. Hmph.

Fingers crossed for you that the other folks don’t pick it up [or that you find an even more fabulous one – what’s for you won’t pass you etc]

10. Dionne C March 24, 2009 at 2:40 pm #

How cute. I hope you get it!

11. jenn ski March 24, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

I hate it when I’m not fast enough on craigslist.

12. boldaslove March 24, 2009 at 3:40 pm #

Good Luck, I’d love one for my home too

13. Nikki March 24, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

Good luck! It never fails when I finally find that perfect item on CL I’m the second caller. And the first caller ALWAYS picks it up. So frustrating, but you know, something better almost always comes along. Eventually.

14. Hannah March 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

Oh, that swing looks great…and I LOVE craigslist…! hope it works out for you!

15. Amanda March 24, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

If they come to pick up the swing, then you are destined to find an even better one!

16. Becky @ Farmgirl Paints March 24, 2009 at 7:38 pm #

So glad you decided to go with the porch swing. You won’t be sorry, it’s the best!! Good luck with the hunt.

17. Taylor March 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

I hope the links I sent were helpful. I googled sites that had metal swings.

18. Taylor March 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm #

oops. I just realized that they never went through. Argh! Good luck in your search.

19. Kristin March 25, 2009 at 6:53 am #

Have you looked at your local Habitat Restore? I saw a super cute/super cheap swing at our restore down here just a couple weeks ago. Our home came with one on our porch and I love it. Changing out the pillows is a little addicting tho. Good Luck!

20. Jessica Nunemaker March 25, 2009 at 7:20 am #

We’ve been on the hunt for a porch swing for the past two years. We *thought* the PO’s were leaving their wonderful old one behind…nope. They *auctioned* it off! Ah! How did we miss that one? Thanks a bunch to Taylor for those great links! Our Victorian home just isn’t complete without one!

21. Vanessa March 25, 2009 at 9:18 am #

I have always wanted a porch swing – I just don’t have a front porch. When I was a singleton in NYC I wanted to buy one and hang it inside the apartment.

The one you want is super cute….

22. Tiffany March 25, 2009 at 9:22 am #

Hi – It’s my first time reading your blog and I just adore your ideas, your house, etc. We have a 1940’s house and have been fixing it up as well – it’s been fun! Congrats on your baby…looks like you are sooo very close.

23. Jen Anderson March 25, 2009 at 12:05 pm #

love the swing and love your sketch! Good luck, hope you get it. I’ve been looking for the perfect bench for 12 months

24. Making it Lovely March 25, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Taylor, your links went through – I just had to approve the comment first. (My blog holds comments with multiple links to prevent spam.)

The swing is supposed to be picked up on Friday, so I suppose I’ll find out after that if it’s still available. It’s metal/wire with a mid-century kind of look. It would be so cute with a new cushion and some pillows.

25. erin March 25, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

good luck with the swing…

i’ve always wanted a porch swing too… hopefully when we move this summer out place for one. i love the orla kiely box-cushions at target and they would be adorable on a swing or bench!

26. Making it Lovely March 25, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

Ooh, just found a good bench on eBay. It’s not a porch swing, but I’m a little in love with it. I’m waiting to hear about shipping…

27. seesaw designs March 25, 2009 at 6:30 pm #

Wishing I had a bigger porch to put a swing on. Your drawing is cute.

Not sure if I’ve ever said hi, but I’m loving your blog!

-Angela / SeeSaw Designs

28. drey @ bijoukaleidoscope.blogspot.com March 27, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

i love that swing bench… it’s perfect to put something on a porch where floor real estate is minimum

i love it. can seriously picture it on your porch! maybe something up will come up again.