37 November 6, 2009

Oh Deerie Me

Remember the white ceramic deer I stole from our apartment’s attic before we moved? The little guys I drag out each Christmas, even though they’re of dubious taste?

Oh Deer
(Christmas 2007)

Oh Deer
(Christmas 2008)

Apparently I was on to something. If you liked them (and you may be in the minority on that), you can now buy your own! Lucky you.

Decorative Deer

Available at Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs.

Laurie
    November 6, 2009 at 12:19 am

See once again you’re before the trend!

ohbrooke
    November 6, 2009 at 12:40 am

lol @ “dubious taste”… That’s like when my friends say “ya, I’m sure it would look good in YOUR house…”

Adventures in Dressmaking
    November 6, 2009 at 12:51 am

Don’t you love it when that happens? They are pretty funky, not the kind of thing my fiance would understand, but a totally great Christmas decor accessory!

cassandra @ coco+kelley
    November 6, 2009 at 12:57 am

i ABSOLUTELY love them! and would have definitely stolen them too :)

Lauren
    November 6, 2009 at 1:08 am

is it awful that i kinda like the deer? probably yes. oh man. i’m totally going to be that crazy old lady with all the weird tchotchkes and flamingos in her lawn… my poor husband.

Lindsay @ Likely Design
    November 6, 2009 at 1:22 am

Hmm…if they were scattered around your house all year long, then it might be considered ‘dubious taste.’ :) But they can definitely be festive with your holiday decor. I can’t believe it’s that time already…

CitricSugar
    November 6, 2009 at 1:38 am

These are totally on the correct side of kitsch. If they were brown, that might be considered “dubious” but I kinda think they’re awesome. And I am NOT a tchotchkes person.

Audrie
    November 6, 2009 at 2:34 am

I’ve always liked the deer… I like how serene they look. Yours are far nicer than the ones for sale… I think it’s because their eyes and noses are coloured in hehe

Mim
    November 6, 2009 at 7:11 am

yours are cooler

Rebecca
    November 6, 2009 at 9:25 am

“Dubious taste”? Why, I resemble that remark! I have one that my sister made me many years ago, and he guards my fireplace every christmas. Now I feel hip.

Rebekah Coleman-Brahler
    November 6, 2009 at 10:24 am

I think these deer rock! But I have to say my taste in Christmas decorations is dubious as well…I collect the tackiest, most glittery 1950s decorations I can find. They are hideous and cool all at the same time! ;)

Laura
    November 6, 2009 at 11:07 am

Hah! Before I scrolled all the way down, I was thinking that by painting them a solid white, you could easily make them more in the now! I do like them as-is with the silver and pink from last year though!

Mackenzi
    November 6, 2009 at 11:26 am

I second Mim, yours are WAY cooler :)

Mrs Soup
    November 6, 2009 at 11:50 am

See, anything can be gorgeous, with just the right accessories. It’s all about the extras. Talk about “Making it Lovely”!!

Shanon
    November 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Truthfully, I like YOURS better. =)

Amy
    November 6, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I am loving the white deer! Z Gallerie has them too…

Lauren K.
    November 6, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I have to say, I enjoy a tasteful amount of kitsch around the holidays (A few years ago, I was determined to get one of those pink tinsel trees. Glad I never got it!). But I think your deer are a tasteful amount. The ones for sale look a little creepy though…

Amanda
    November 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Ceramic animals seem to be all the rage lately.

Rae
    November 6, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I like yours much better. The others, without the eyes, are just creepy. It’s like Christmas meets Equus.

Laur
    November 6, 2009 at 1:49 pm

of “dubious taste” – I’m not sure if I should be somewhat insulted. I love your ceramic deer! I personally think the touch of black on white is very tasteful. I’d leave them out year round if I were you. (then again I collect vintage deer)

Those newer options, now those are a little creepy.

kristen
    November 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm

haha…i love them! much better now that you have taken their pinecone necklaces off ;)

white ceramic animals are all the rage, man! they’re freakin’ everywhere!!

Megan
    November 6, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I wouldn’t call those dubious taste. Flashing bright red Santas all over the house? Now that’s dubious taste. White ceramic anything has been in style for about 4 years now. Owls or birds anyone?

Desiree Fawn
    November 6, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Oh! I absolutely love them, but perhaps I am just biased.

the darling house
    November 7, 2009 at 6:02 pm

awe, your white forrest creatures are adorable! But the silver, candle-holding beasts that somehow manage to creep their way into the Pottery Barn Holiday catalog year after year…those I could do without.

Cassie
    November 7, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I love them! I like yours better though, especially all decked out in the holiday garlands. :)

Lauren K.
    November 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Don’t get me wrong, Nicole, I love tinsel trees of all colors. In my current home, a pink tinsel tree just wouldn’t work. There needs to be some room for them to really sparkle. Maybe in our next home.

Diane
    November 8, 2009 at 9:46 am

I actually really love your deer! I’d love them on MY mantle. And they are way better than the ones for sale now.

Alexis
    November 8, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I picked up some really cute one’s from Z gallery last year that are a bit more contemporary…

Alexis
    November 8, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I am an idiot “ie”

Down Comforter
    November 8, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I love your little deer – so cute :)

brooke @ claremont road
    November 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm

My grandmother had this FABULOUS gold ceramic boot with fake poinsettias in it that she gave me, and I break it out every Christmas, mostly for the humor factor. Deep down, though, I’m secretly hoping it comes back in style someday ;-) Congrats on being a trendsetter with your deer!

Pencils
    November 17, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I like them! And if they’re in dubious taste, I hate to think what kind of taste my big flocked deer is! I put it out with a bunch of much smaller flocked deer, the more common size (4″ or so.) I think my big flocked doe is like the god of flocked deer and they’re worshiping her. Maybe not the best sentiment for a Christmas decoration, but I think it’s funny!

I bought the big deer off of eBay without noticing the size, I thought it was a small one. Oops. Big surprise when I opened the box!

Pencils
    November 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Apparently I mistyped the end ital command. Oops!

tammylee
    November 21, 2009 at 9:22 pm

i think yours are soooo much cuter!

Christmas Decorations (Part 1: Upstairs) | Making it Lovely
    December 20, 2012 at 11:39 pm

[…] I stand by my love for all the weird deer in my […]

Kristin Spencer
    December 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I instantly fell in love with your trio of deer!